Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...  (Read 13992 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...
« Reply #105 on: April 08, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

Welp, if we're making a Suc-Fort, I request a turn >:3

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2011, 06:45:29 pm »

I was looking up names for a succession fortress. 

I was inspired by the talk earlier in the thread about how so many people were demonstrating risk-averse behavior to name the fortress something amusing related to the notion of being risk-averse.

"Cowardbolts" would have been my first choice, but unfortunately, there is apparently no dwarven word for "coward".  (You damn elves, face your horrific death like REAL dwarves!)

So, sadly, "Yellowbelly" is the best I can come up with.  ("Inoltom".)

For a little more flare, we can make it "Inoltom Utharalath" - "Yellowbelly The First-Bolts"
Princewind should be possible.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 08, 2011, 06:47:06 pm »

Princewind should be possible.
Oh. Now I get it.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 08, 2011, 07:03:19 pm »

Princewind the First-Bolts would be good, if a little in-jokey.

I wonder if the whole theme of the game should be "we're the place where the rest of the dwarves are sending the useless barons and other cowards or people they want to get rid of, plus maybe a few unlucky ones to keep the others alive."
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 08, 2011, 09:56:42 pm »

...I'm not certain I get 'Princewind'. Is this a reference to Rincewind? Or are we implying that princes run away a lot to keep the line of succession intact?

Also, yeah, I forgot that DF separates pottery and glazing as skills, so put me as both. It's completely unnecessary and not historically accurate at all, but oh well.

...maybe I should make a post about that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 08, 2011, 10:15:03 pm »

Actually, we could also go with "Rinsewind"
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2011, 08:15:37 am »

@NW_Kohaku
I'm the captain of the gaurd. So I'll never get wounded :P
If you want to start a succession fort and other people agree with you and possible wanky rules, go for it.

@GreatWyrmGold
Yes, you are the 'leader noble'. You can see the jobs here

EDIT: I assume the mayor/expedition leader noble is removed when the baron is appointed? I never had a baron so I have no idea.

updated needed jobs:
see later post
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:28:33 pm by Dutchling »

Slugman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2011, 10:09:22 am »

I was actually going for sheriff because it requires little effort and involves some fun elements. Added experience as a novice weaponsmith for strange moods so I could live a little longer if I accidently crush the skull of an important dwarf who decided to break the law.

But since this thread has taken a different turn now and the position is already taken... I guess I would be a leatherworker. Most of my trade income usually comes from giant toad leather armors with giant toad leather images sewn onto it (2k dwarf bucks if it's a masterwork). They don't clog your trade interface too much and can be mass produced with little effort if you aquire a few leather bins from the mountain homes. I could also make some bags for the fortress right from the start.
Seems like a good career choice in a dwarven fortress anyway because there is no competition until now.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 09, 2011, 12:14:12 pm »

Cowardice isn't really the defining feature of the forums. If we need a fort name to represent ourselves, what we should have is Madnesslibrary the Pages of Fools.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 09, 2011, 12:22:02 pm »

Cowardice isn't really the defining feature of the forums. If we need a fort name to represent ourselves, what we should have is Madnesslibrary the Pages of Fools.

It was noted earlier, however, that many of the people who were posting what sort of job they wanted were basing their decision upon what was least likely to get them killed, and preferably also involve the least labor (hence, many people picking Dungeon Master - the one noble that few people kill).

JohnnieRWilkins made the comment that actually being in the fortress seemed to be the one thing that would change player behavior away from that of reckless experimentation and towards that of craven self-preservation.

I think it makes for an amusing setup, anyway.

Anyway, I guess I can set this thing up, although we'll probably need some rules...

Do we want some extra rules?  Like "Dungeon Master is an appointed noble"?  I figure we'll also have to set up some population control rules, as well - like "maximum population is the number of players, excess population gets atomsmashed"?
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 09, 2011, 12:49:42 pm »

Legendary soap maker.
To help the hospitals.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 09, 2011, 02:52:59 pm »

@NW
We need a DM for sure, and a player cap8 would be nice too. Possibly changing goblin RAWS to enable sieging at 30 or 40 or we will not have enough dwarves
And dwarves will need to be called forummers or something like that screw that Dwarves are epic anyway. No other real modding though because not everyone would want that.

*magma, tantrums, FB's, more magma, even more magma, goblins, molten rock, (we could also use magma?), elf cannibalists, drowning chambers, magma chambers, obsidian chamber,s obsidian chambers without water. Possiblities are endless :)

We have enough:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 02:56:05 pm by Dutchling »

Ghostbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 09, 2011, 03:08:58 pm »

I'd take small animal dissection, plant processing and milling.
That or small animal dissection and surgery. (and hauling when not otherwise busy.)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 09, 2011, 03:20:06 pm »

Doctor/axelord at the same time.
My name has nothing to do with such a combination.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 09, 2011, 03:28:00 pm »

@Ghills
Sure, I have merged all the hauling to 3 jobs (burial, recover wounded and rest) so I'll just make you a haul all non dead things ok?

@GhostBird
You'll get animal dissection, plant processing and milling

@DRKillPatient
You can join the guards :) I am captain of the guard and doctor so you'll fin in just fine (and we con't have doctors cutting people that actually fight back, can we?)

EDIT:@ GreatWyrmGold
You already had 1 civ job, but it was just architecture so I added furnace operator. We still need some more though.
I'm pretty sure the baron is 'bugged' so he still works and you will be EL and mayor at the start of our not-yet-existing fortress anyways
(Well, we might make the player the EL if we do a sucFort and mayors get replcaed anyway...)

General:
removed Armor User, Shield User and Crutch Walkers skills
added Law Enforcement, with me and DrKillPatient as users
here is the spreadsheet

EDIT:
What we need:
see later post
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:37:59 am by Dutchling »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14