Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...  (Read 13935 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2011, 03:03:07 pm »

editing it all
sorry for spelling :P

EDIT:
We now need a mason, a bookkeeper and an architect :P (Urist, you cannot de-architecture if you aren't one)

also, google docs sucks with editing. I prefer (my pirated version of) Excel

I also added a total workers column (the horizontal one) showing the amount of people with the job.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:11:33 pm by Dutchling »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 03:18:34 pm »

If nothing else this should be an interesting excise in supply/demand economics. A lot of people picked armorer or weaponsmith since it is normally a high value profession and thus more protected. Of course, in this rather non-typical fort we will have an excess of weaponsmiths and not enough planters, so they are more valued.
Memento Mori

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2011, 03:30:05 pm »

Hauling will be the best paid job in this fortress, because it is the rarest profession. Only few can master the true art of hauling!
Well , i'm singing off now. I'll see if this thread still lives tomorrow.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2011, 03:31:00 pm »

(Urist, you cannot de-architecture if you aren't one)

Oops, I thought I was. Sorry.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2011, 03:37:12 pm »

Hauling will be the best paid job in this fortress, because it is the rarest profession. Only few can master the true art of hauling!
Well , i'm singing off now. I'll see if this thread still lives tomorrow.
it shall live or be necro'd, those are your only choices
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »

Well, go ahead and let me haul in addition to pulling levers then.

All hail Blade McPackMule!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2011, 07:29:12 pm »

Just assume all the smiths have their hauling labors on, they're probably not going to be using their regular labors enough, anyway.  (Especially not without any wood burning active to actually supply charcoal.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2011, 07:47:01 pm »

If you're ever in great excess of lumber, enable either plant gathering or carpentry and building designing (if you need it) on my woodcutter to prevent me from milling around. (If I don't go out in a blaze of glory fighting off the skeletal giant eagles at the start or anything lol.)

Alternatively: make me train in a danger room part time and cut wood part time. I want iron or steel gear. I don't want to die to a random badger strike. I want to die to a rain of elven arrows in a giant orgy of elf limbs and dead trees.

Also, I want 2 scary war animals.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:55:29 pm by JohnieRWilkins »
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2011, 09:19:12 pm »

DUNGEON MASTER

- everyone would be thrilled when I show up, which is more than you can say for other nobles and migrants
- I would get to chill with awesome beasts like giant scorpions and war mandrills
- no assigned labor, just going around forging weapons or taming dragons whenever the mood strikes me
- I would get to run around naked except for a cloak and nobody would dare say a thing
...Yeah, also a good idea. I count the last one as a downside. Especially in the glacier fort someone suggested as a weakness to my first idea.

Anyway, I'd like to point out I picked "engraver" because I figured being able to make artwork all day was probably the least "boring drudgery" type of job I could take in a world where I lived in a cave wearing the same clothes every day, smeared with blood and vomit.  (Which is totally unlike how I live in the real world - I usually change my clothes after they get smeared with blood and vomit so I don't mess up my pretty cave.)

Admit it, you just want to carve a masterwork in the very center of a dining hall, then carve you engraving said masterwork on the tile next to it, and carve yourself engraving that one on the tile next to it, and so on until the floor and walls of the dining room are covered with a chain of you engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving a hoary marmot.

It's what I'd do.
Me too, maybe, if I was an engraver, but with a dragon.
Or myself, if I was conceited enough.

Quote from: Lots of people
Fisherdorf for me!
A. It's fisherdwarf.
B. Meh.

Baron. A cushy job as long as I make sure my mandates are rational, sensible requests like steel battle axes.
Beat you to it, so I get dibs!

I guess me the noble can be an architect and/or bookkeeper and/or some other safe, moderately intellectual or artistic job that you need.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2011, 09:29:59 pm »

Considering I'm doing my Master's in accounting...I guess you could say I'm already a master record keeper.  I'd gladly keep track of everything as bookkeeper.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2011, 09:50:27 pm »

Potter. I've got sufficient real life experience doing it as a hobby and I'd love to do it professionally. In DF, I could do just that.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2011, 09:51:48 pm »

actually screw it give me beekeeping, shearing, and all hauling
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2011, 10:12:12 pm »

Take me out of stone detailing, if I'm a farmer, I won't have time for that, anyway, and we have plenty of them already.  (We actually need masons, so maybe one of those stone detailers could do that, instead.)

Since we have another potter, put me down for glazing, as well, though. I'm not sure how much that would actually be called upon (and Khift would probably want to be a glazer, too...), but I might as well throw that in whatever free time I have from farming.  (Depends on how large a farm we get, and if we're living off of quarry bush leaves and dwarven syrup and booze cooking.)

As of right now, we might need to stretch out some jobs (like making a lot of people also have hauler activated, but also making the cook be the butcher, and the clothier be the weaver, etc.) but we would have something close to a working fortress.

Except that we have multiple barons and dungeon masters.  Clearly, there can be only one, and as such, they must fight to the death for the rights to be the noble.  I'll get my popcorn.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2011, 01:41:11 am »

A tiny fort isn't really going to need three farmers. I've changed my mind - switch my profession to trapper. I shall spend my days building and baiting small wooden boxes, then feeding rats to the other fortress inhabitants.

Dungeon Master would still be my first choice, but that seems unlikely if we're talking about the current version. Trapper still gives me a chance to work with lizards. I shall claim the lizards I catch as pets.

lishain

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Invader
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2011, 04:09:22 am »

Marksdwarf.Or any military related job.
Такие дела.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14