Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14

Author Topic: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...  (Read 13723 times)

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2011, 04:20:44 am »

Sweet, im gonna be a real fisher dwarf :D Can I also be in the military seeings someone else wanted to be a fisherdwarf? That way I can fish when im not training and help fight for everyone when theres a need.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2011, 04:32:00 am »

Screw socks, imma gonna be a mason :3

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2011, 07:36:02 am »

I've opdated everything now. I just need to know what combat skill Ethicalfive wants (swords is default now)
Also, is there anyone with some good experience with forum forts? I'd prefer one player that can post some good stories over a community fort but both could be ok.
I also added fish cleaning to the last fisherdwarf but the first should probably have it if we actually want to eat fish before the migrants come.
I also changed to 2nd and 3d DM to haulers. And the 2nd leader noble only has Animal Care now.

see later post for what is still needed

« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:17:31 pm by Dutchling »

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2011, 08:27:58 am »

I like working with wood so I'll be a carpenter. That's probably the job I'd take of the ones in DF. Indoors, not too hot in summer since you aren't standing over a blazing fire and sheltered in winter. For purposes of the fort you can call me a wood burner/woodcrafter too since woodcrafting is pretty similar and wood burning is needed and at least in theme.  :P
Memento Mori

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 08, 2011, 10:36:47 am »

You know those immigrants who wont go to a fort, because it's too dangerous? I would be one of those.
If I had to go, it would be the Chief Medical Dwarf, along with the medical skills.

You might want to check your second list, Dutchling. I almost signed up as a crutch walker.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2011, 10:41:52 am »

You don't assign any dwarves to Outpost Liason - that's just the guy that comes to visit you.

Anyway, since we all have to pitch in to take some extra jobs, I guess I'll go ahead and take Alchemist, too.

It's a worthless job, but somebody's got to not do it!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2011, 11:26:54 am »

Teamster (Hauler).

Someone's gotta do it and I stay out of your hair. You know you want all that crap moved somewhere. And with the sheer volume of crap there will always be something for me to do.

I'd also like a "teamster's guild" which is really nothing more than a flavor building/sorta kinda mega project for us all to hang out in. Not required but might make the game more fun.

I'd like to be female if possible and we actually do Dwarfings. I figure there will be plenty of those unclaimed given that the internet is mostly male. Keep me and my babies out of harm's way and we'll slowly multiply to become a decently powerful faction within the fort constructively add to your numbers.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2011, 11:54:57 am »

Can i be greedy and double up my bonecarving with stonecrafting? Just to keep me busy while enough bones are "aquired"...
This is a blank sig.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2011, 12:00:02 pm »

@NotPete,
I assigned you as doctor with all the skills because we already have a chief medical dwarf. Crutch walker was just a skill not yet used :P

@NW_Kohaku,
I've never had a liason so I didn't know that. You'll be the alchemist now ...
EDIT^3: i thought there was a liason noble you would get when you are the capital and you no longer get the normal liason?

@Truean
Added, btw, if I ever do a community fortress I'll change the dwarf race so males are like 8 times as common as females. Not that it is very likely I do a community fort anyway, I have no writing skills and my fortresses never have any !fun! :(

EDIT: sure
EDITEDIT: I'm just the spreadsheet guy though, I didn't even start the thread nor am I going to start a community fort :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 12:02:10 pm by Dutchling »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2011, 12:10:44 pm »

@NW_Kohaku,
I've never had a liason so I didn't know that.
EDIT^3: i thought there was a liason noble you would get when you are the capital and you no longer get the normal liason?

No, the outpost liason is the guy who comes with the dwarven caravan every Fall to ask you how much of whatever items you want them to bring you next time.  He also is the guy who lets you promote a baron. 

Wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Outpost_liaison

The guy used to become an "Advisor" noble once you got the monarch, and you were the mountainhome, but now this guy just dissapears when you get a monarch.

@Truean
Added, btw, if I ever do a community fortress I'll change the dwarf race so males are like 8 times as common as females. Not that it is very likely I do a community fort anyway, I have no writing skills and my fortresses never have any !fun! :(

I wouldn't mind whatever gender you assigned my dwarf.  I don't think many others do, either.

By nature, I think many of the traits of a given poster in a community fort tend to overwrite the actual in-game stated traits of a dwarf named after them. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:04 pm »

Hmm, I might multiclass Masonry and Clothesmaking :3

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2011, 12:28:01 pm »

@Truean

Neato, I have the opposite problem. Writing skills but no tech for these purposes.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2011, 12:48:14 pm »

give me strand extraction, carpentry, and all bee related labors
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Buzzing_Beard

• Bay Watcher
  • RL Beekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »

Ditto on bee realated labors. Also craftsdwarf and soapmaker.

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2011, 01:00:45 pm »

I could take on a few minor farming jobs in between setting rat traps. I have actually done lye making in real life, so I could do that, and pressing sounds easy enough.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14