Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...  (Read 13696 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »

DUNGEON MASTER

- everyone would be thrilled when I show up, which is more than you can say for other nobles and migrants
- I would get to chill with awesome beasts like giant scorpions and war mandrills
- no assigned labor, just going around forging weapons or taming dragons whenever the mood strikes me
- I would get to run around naked except for a cloak and nobody would dare say a thing

I was going to say farmer/planter, just to go for the low risk option - way too valuable to be sent outside and never going to fail a mood...

but yeah, Dungeon Master is obviously the right answer. No contest.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 02:58:06 pm »

Designated Lever Puller. I would get to do nothing more strenuous than wander through the fort, yanking levers, activating floodgates and danger rooms, etc.

And just think of all the fine traps I'd get to admire!

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:01 pm »

This is actually a brilliant experiment on df forumers and risk averse behavior. Risk averse behavior found.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 07:29:57 pm »

This is actually a brilliant experiment on df forumers and risk averse behavior. Risk averse behavior found.

Well, naturally. Your average Dwarf Fortress has about a 65% mortality rate (Assuming you're not saying abandonment means all your dorfs died.)
Naturally, if you could become a member of a fortress community, self-preservation would be a major priority.
Miner/soldier.

Lasher cancels ambush: Nose picked.

...Well, for most.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 08:34:13 pm »

Actors have a 100% mortality rate in the long run. If you don't take risks with your life, then have you really lived?

What ever happened to glory and death?
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 08:54:19 pm »

Actors have a 100% mortality rate in the long run. If you don't take risks with your life, then have you really lived?

Death is permanent, in most cases.

Glory is always, eventually, forgotten. If it's glory AND death, I'll skip it, unless I'd die either way. Life is okay, and for all I know, dying sucks.

...Of course, if death is your only recourse, and you have the ability to meet it head-on with a flaming sword in one hand and a smokin' hot broad in the the other, hells yeah to that.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:11 pm »

Death is permanent, in most cases.

Glory is always, eventually, forgotten. If it's glory AND death, I'll skip it, unless I'd die either way. Life is okay, and for all I know, dying sucks.

...Of course, if death is your only recourse, and you have the ability to meet it head-on with a flaming sword in one hand and a smokin' hot broad in the the other, hells yeah to that.

... In that case, you should be an el-  umm... goblin.

Anyway, I'd like to point out I picked "engraver" because I figured being able to make artwork all day was probably the least "boring drudgery" type of job I could take in a world where I lived in a cave wearing the same clothes every day, smeared with blood and vomit.  (Which is totally unlike how I live in the real world - I usually change my clothes after they get smeared with blood and vomit so I don't mess up my pretty cave.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 09:39:32 pm »

Anyway, I'd like to point out I picked "engraver" because I figured being able to make artwork all day was probably the least "boring drudgery" type of job I could take in a world where I lived in a cave wearing the same clothes every day, smeared with blood and vomit.  (Which is totally unlike how I live in the real world - I usually change my clothes after they get smeared with blood and vomit so I don't mess up my pretty cave.)

Admit it, you just want to carve a masterwork in the very center of a dining hall, then carve you engraving said masterwork on the tile next to it, and carve yourself engraving that one on the tile next to it, and so on until the floor and walls of the dining room are covered with a chain of you engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving yourself engraving a hoary marmot.

It's what I'd do.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 10:04:27 pm »

Plant gatherer. Mainly because that's about the only DF job I'm any good at besides hauling. I have experience - we have a pretty big garden behind our house, and sometimes I go out and collect chestnuts when I'm bored.
くコ:彡

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 10:34:32 pm »

Possibly a hunter, since it'd actually get me out of the nasty cave filled with smelly water-averse dwarves and into the open air most of the time. And possibly working with animals, which I like, since I usually have my hunters as animal handlers/trainers as well.

Fisher would be another good choice - same outdoorsiness, not working with animals (except dead fish), but also not as risky.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2011, 12:55:09 am »

Specialized metalworker, preferably armorer.  Highly skilled profession of great importance to overseer.  Basically get to do whatever all day except occasionally make a few armor suits.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:52 am »

Fisher would be another good choice - same outdoorsiness, not working with animals (except dead fish), but also not as risky.
Quote of a typical inexperienced fisherdwarf until he sees carp.

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34:22 am »

Fisher Dwarf! No heavy lifting, get to lay on the bank of a river, pond or lake and chill while I wait for a bite. Sure theres risks involved being outside, but then, theres still plenty of indoor risks, like magma, flooding, forgotten beasts, tantrum spirals, colapses,clowns. So atleast I wouldn't be slaving away not enjoying life before I get snuffed out.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

Alluvian_Est-Endrati

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGRAVERY:MISGUIDED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2011, 09:39:03 am »

Engraver. Someone needs to remind all the other dwarves about how dangerous Elephants and Carp are. Nothing like a picture of a dwarf making a plaintive gesture to a bronze colossus, surrounded by dead dwarves, to really know you are special. Also one must need to remind other dwarves of their fears of night creatures and of things they hate, like giant cave spiders, lest they forget how to live.
"I’m going to keep bloody gambling! Bloody, bloody gambling and drinking! Where’s my bloody drink? Anyone want to gamble for it?”

Send in the Clowns: &.&
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14