Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...  (Read 13716 times)

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: If you could have any job in a typical dwarven fortress...
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 10:00:16 am »

Someone needs to start a fort and use the names and professions of all forum users who posted here and report back to this thread.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2011, 10:37:37 am »

Definitely a cook. Everyone loves the guy who is able to take dead cat, forgotten beast toenail and bloated toad tallow and turn it into something delicious.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54:19 am »

Someone needs to start a fort and use the names and professions of all forum users who posted here and report back to this thread.

If you do this, make me a potter or something else where I can make statues or something that would also involve the ability to make neat scenes, instead - a few other people picked engraver, and we only have so many surfaces to engrave, so I might as well spread out a little.

I would also point out that nobody here picked some of the really basic, necessary things, like farmer.  The one guy who said "miner" said "miner/soldier". We have a lot of smiths, but the only military is marksdwarf and the miner (who would be too valuable as a miner to send into combat).  (On the other hand, we would have several dungeon masters, so if we trapped some beasts, we would have a wide range of creatures to throw at our enemies...)

I'm guessing we'd better dig down immediately, and take up some sort of engineering defense (we have a few mechanics) where we are protected by walls, spamming weapon traps with all those iron saw blades the smiths are obviously going to be spitting out, and maybe some sort of flood trap and spike hallway with drawbridges as traffic controls.  (After all, that's the risk-averse way to do things...)

We have fisherdwarves, but if we're sealing ourselves in, I'm thinking we're cave fishing, in that case.  (At least we can carve off a chunk of cavern, and make that completely sealed.)  Alternately, we can just spam giant badgers as our defensive strategy with all the dungeon masters we have, and rely upon a multi-airlock drawbridge system for safety using our designated lever puller sealed up in the control room when an attack comes to try to shuttle our surface dwarves back into the safety of the fort.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2011, 11:29:27 am »

I would also point out that nobody here picked some of the really basic, necessary things, like farmer.  The one guy who said "miner" said "miner/soldier". We have a lot of smiths, but the only military is marksdwarf and the miner (who would be too valuable as a miner to send into combat).

We have a plant gatherer and a fesherdwarf who could possibly clean his catches.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2011, 12:16:05 pm »

Armorsmith. Definitely.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2011, 12:35:16 pm »

Bone carver. Got Bolts? Yep. Got shit to trade to humans? Yep. Got Idols of elves being eaten by carp? Maybe.
This is a blank sig.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2011, 01:19:01 pm »

legendary lasher, whips FTK!
legendary mechanic
and animal trainer
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2011, 02:02:27 pm »

Making a spreadsheet right now so I can do it when I start a new fort

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2011, 02:08:56 pm »

In that case, I'll be the bookkeeper. Sit down for a year taking stock of every molecule in the fortress past, present and future, then sit back and relax for the rest of my the fortress' life.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2011, 02:20:30 pm »

Baron. A cushy job as long as I make sure my mandates are rational, sensible requests like steel battle axes.
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2011, 02:25:03 pm »

I think i change noble to whatever position it is.
I just used the therapists skills (except social ones).
I could make a google spreadsheet of it if my brains will understand how.

also: we need haulers, and less nobles. 9 out of 3510 out of 36 dwarves are nobles and no haulers at all :S

EDIT:
link.
The spreadsheet uses all of the jobs in DwarfTherapist with a few exceptions:
- nobles positions added (leader and military leader instead of 8 or so other positions)
- no social skills
- all haul skills divided in burial and hauling (anyone wants to bury us?)

I also added fighter/archer to all warriors and armor user to most of them (berserk miner warriors do not wear armor ...)
Smart Marksdwarfs = ambusher and armor user besides normal marksdwarf skills :P
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:37:11 pm by Dutchling »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2011, 02:45:24 pm »

Well, then, we either need a farmer or a butcher, or this is going to be a pretty short trip.  We also need a wood burner and a furnace operator for all these smiths we have.  A carpenter would be a fairly nice thing to have, while we're at it, if we don't all want to sleep in the mud.

Also, I can't help but notice we have a dangerously high noble-to-worker ratio going on, here.

... I guess if absolutely pressed, I could be a planter in addition to being a potter.  It's not like current farming is much besides throwing seeds at mud, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 02:47:48 pm »

I'll become the butcher instead of a bookkeeper if you fix my name on the spreadsheet.

Deal?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

GotIt_00

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 02:54:36 pm »

I would roll jeweler for sure. Decorating big gems with tiny gems can't be that hard.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2011, 03:01:25 pm »

I will de-engrave, de-mason, and de-architecture, and take up farming to go with my mechanics.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14