Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Traffic and acces zone  (Read 634 times)

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
Traffic and acces zone
« on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:24 am »

Hello guys,

here is the simple problem. Me want salt furniture. But dwarf make chert furniture. Salt is NEXT to them on first floor. Chert is FAR from them 5 floor down.

Why the holy fuck do they go the farthest all the time instead of taking whats next to them? I COULD make some burrow here but it would be a pain in the ass since I need to allow the to go everywhere on map except past second floor downward.

I've seen the same with stockpile, dwarf not using stone brought to surface until stockpile designation is removed.

Also, why does my miner have the bright idea to alternate mining on square of dirt and move barrel REAL FAR AWAY in some food stockpile... They lose like insane amount of time running in between task. I still want them to be able to do both, but stop being hyperactive... Finish mining and THEN start moving stuff around.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Traffic and acces zone
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:45:40 am »

Well, first of all go to 'z' and 'stone' and  make sure the stone you want use is not marked red. Also, when a mason starts first working at the workshop, they'll first pick the stone that's nearest from where they are when the job gets designated to them rather than the stone nearest to the 'shop, so always queue up multiple things at once and expect that the first item on the list won't be necessarily the material you want.
As for the problem with dwarves not using stockpiled stone, I've no idea. Seems to be working fine for me though.

And disable hauling labors for miners (and other workers) that you want to be more dedicated to their main job. Not that they usually run off unless they are thirsty or hungry as long as they won't run out of tiles designated for digging - it's enough that there's a couple second time when one isn't available for them to get assigned to another job (which by Murphy's law is on the other side of the fort), so try to designate as much at once as possible to keep them digging non-stop.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 02:49:33 am by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 04:35:53 am »

1. You can turn on and off all general use of particular stone with 'z' and 'stone' as last poster said, OR you can go to the stocks menu (assign a record-keeper in nobles screen), and forbid all stones you don't want used.

2. Try making the workshop in the center of a 5x5 room, then defining a 'ring' shaped stockpile around it. They view z-distance the same as x and y, so if it's 5 squares away on the same level, they view that as just as close as 5 z-levels down. A ring of stockpile should always be 2 squares away i think. An advantage of this ring idea in an open-plan workshop is that if the worker gets a mood you can't complete, you can replace the stockpile with wall in case he goes beserk.

3. Turn off hauler labours on Miners and other critical jobs. Have an unskilled hauler pool who have not much else but hauling turned on, then, you will have less need to ever set Miners to hauling.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 04:44:29 am by Reelyanoob »

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06:53 am »

Ty guys for the answer, may Murphy damn all your fortresses :D