Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No more Dwarf Packrats  (Read 3553 times)

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more Dwarf Packrats
« on: April 06, 2011, 01:57:01 pm »

So again I'm running into a problem that's happened on every fort I've ever played for any length of time since starting DF.

Ambushers start to come, and upon their deaths, leave tons of things behind.  Most of this can be nicely dealt with with an atom smasher, but some dwarves like to keep some of their objects - which can never be touched or removed from the game.

Aside from clutter/needless hauling, this is just extra junk to lag FPS.  And dwarves will NEVER get rid of these items.  They are now permanent items that will sit either out in the open or in a cabinet forever.

Can dwarves just get tired of objects and dump them somewhere?  Maybe there can be a means of designating either a magma garbage or a decaying garbage wherein objects placed will slowly decay over time and leave the game.  Just tired of worthless junk spread everywhere.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: No more Dwarf Packrats
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:33:26 pm »

While I could go into suggesting a far more complex system than this... For now I'll just say I support this idea.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:59:47 pm »

I agree with this. One thing I like and have been pushing for for a while now is a seasonal cleanup check.

At the turn of every season every owned object that is not stored in furniture, worn by a dwarf, or hauled by a dwarf has its ownership revoked. The object will no longer be owned.

This means if a dwarf doesn't put away his sock from the middle of the dining hall for several months, he loses all rights to own that sock, and it can be properly put back into the stockpile or tossed into magma.

Objects that are stored all neat and tidy in cabinets or chests will remain owned. Similarly objects that are worn on the body, like socks or cloaks, will also remain owned, its just the stuff laying around that will have ownership removed every few months.

This will both eliminate clutter and also allow items to be recycled through. If a dwarf picks up a new pair of socks and gets rid of his current old socks, the old socks will no longer be owned at the turn of the next season and hauled off to the garbage stockpile for worn items.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:04:35 pm »

Agrees with this suggestion too. I go to great lengths to make sure I kill most goblins in a room set up to be flooded with magma occasionally for cleaning. But there is always stuff that lands outside of the room, caravan guards and merchants come to mind here, or your own civilians discarding their old socks but not giving up their ownership of them etc.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 03:05:14 pm »

I agree with this. One thing I like and have been pushing for for a while now is a seasonal cleanup check.

At the turn of every season every owned object that is not stored in furniture, worn by a dwarf, or hauled by a dwarf has its ownership revoked. The object will no longer be owned.

This means if a dwarf doesn't put away his sock from the middle of the dining hall for several months, he loses all rights to own that sock, and it can be properly put back into the stockpile or tossed into magma.

Objects that are stored all neat and tidy in cabinets or chests will remain owned. Similarly objects that are worn on the body, like socks or cloaks, will also remain owned, its just the stuff laying around that will have ownership removed every few months.

This will both eliminate clutter and also allow items to be recycled through. If a dwarf picks up a new pair of socks and gets rid of his current old socks, the old socks will no longer be owned at the turn of the next season and hauled off to the garbage stockpile for worn items.

Sounds like a good plan, though if it were implemented in this way I think dwarves should have a preference system for what goes in their furniture.  A dwarf losing his masterwork giant cave spider silk tunic because his xxcrappy crusty holey sockxx was what he chose to keep in his drawer is kind of silly.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 03:31:22 pm »

Face it guys, this is how it works. It's just that descriptions in the spirit of "And there laid the sock of Balin son of Fundin, Lord of Moria - forever resting here because his grave was not designated before his death" don't go well with narrative involving immense meeting halls, narrow bridges over near bottomless chasms and epic fights with HFS. So those parts were omitted from the final version of the book.

And yeah. Hopefully ASAP.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:27:48 pm »

Amen to this idea...

But what I would like is a way to revoke ownership no matter WHERE it is..  I build rooms now under caverns I can collapse just to destroy the worthless clutter, but some of it the stupid dwarves refuse to move. (or they are dead so they cant move it)
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:18:03 am »

Just wondering whether objects in a (magma-safe) cabinet get destroyed if the square gets submerged? Anyone know? If so, have a system for locking a wardrobe and delivering some magma.

Nethercap beds - are these magma-safe anyone?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:20:25 am by Reelyanoob »

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 09:48:18 am »

Being able to burn clothing and wooden stuff would be nice. Could maybe count as some low quality fuel.

blizzerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:15 am »

each tile of a garbage dump can hold 20 items

if the tile is "full" the item that was dumped there the longest time ago starts decaying 100X faster, if the item is something that does not decay or after a month of this state has not yet decayed fully (rock) it will be removed after that 1 month of time

simple and efficient no?

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 10:59:50 am »

each tile of a garbage dump can hold 20 items

if the tile is "full" the item that was dumped there the longest time ago starts decaying 100X faster, if the item is something that does not decay or after a month of this state has not yet decayed fully (rock) it will be removed after that 1 month of time

simple and efficient no?

Except people couldn't use quantum piles for stone anymore.  This could be good or bad depending on your perspective.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 11:40:01 am »

Sounds like a good plan, though if it were implemented in this way I think dwarves should have a preference system for what goes in their furniture.  A dwarf losing his masterwork giant cave spider silk tunic because his xxcrappy crusty holey sockxx was what he chose to keep in his drawer is kind of silly.

If you don't give them any cabinets then they'd lose all items at the turn of each season they aren't actively wearing. Dwarves will still get happy thoughts from acquiring new items, but AFAIK there is no negative thought for losing an item.

This means by giving them no cabinets to store things in dwarves will all be very happy from temporarily acquiring items, and then re-acquire the items each season. The items will also be shuffled around so everyone in the fortress can enjoy acquiring a masterwork silk thong in turn...  :o

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »

While I could go into suggesting a far more complex system than this... For now I'll just say I support this idea.
This is almost as sigworthy as this

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »

Known bug
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 02:25:49 pm »

Known bug

How very helpful you are.
Pages: [1] 2