Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: How about Sonic mods?  (Read 20007 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: How about Sonic mods?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2011, 03:25:59 pm »

We need to mod in the use of ridiculously large rings as armor
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2011, 03:28:37 pm »

We'll have to make sure they can block any hit but annihilate after one, though.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2011, 03:34:38 pm »

We'll have to make sure they can block any hit but annihilate after one, though.

Yes... That'll be difficult...

As a placeholder though, maybe we could just use a duplicate of an existing armor with the name changed.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:20 pm »

It'll have to cover the entire body, though. Speaking of, we should make the sheilds, too.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2011, 04:50:38 pm »

How about this, we have two teams, working on the Robotnic arc, and the Freedom Fighters/ Sonic Team arc?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2011, 05:22:05 pm »

It'll have to cover the entire body, though. Speaking of, we should make the sheilds, too.
We'll need a way for them to work on all other creatures (including the megabeasts) except Badniks. Since badniks are machine in nature, the rings won't work on them.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2011, 05:39:56 pm »

It's true. And if an one creature manages to equip 100, they have to be able to instantly reproduce.

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2011, 06:42:46 pm »

I could probably help with some material and tissue templates, like making some oil-blood that'll spurt out when they get ripped apart.

I would be grateful for that. Also, if possible, can you make a farm-plant that produces machine grade oil that can be put into barrels? I figure while your badniks have no real use for it, it could be the main export of your fortress to the various badnik convoys.

We'll see what's actually happening through the Sonic-verse where the (Archie) comics, games

Right now I'm basing it on the early Sonic games (anything on the Sega), and the early comics which is basically anything up to or slightly past the introduction of the Sonic adventure plot arc. I don't think I'm going to add much past the genesis games because I never played any of the Dreamcast ones when they were new.

EDIT:
Since I mentioned it, ever notice the critter pods at the end of zones (post-boss fight) are just as overstuffed as DF cages when you open them?

Just as well, someone has to render those screenshots in Sonic style (game sprites/comics/TV series). They're just begging for one.

Right now I'm planning on replacing the cage graphic from maydays tileset with the critter pod from one of the games. I'm also going to see about making caste based graphics based on skill. An example would be burrowbots always have a natural mining skill, so the graphic for a miner would be a burrowbot.

We need to mod in the use of ridiculously large rings as armor

Currently I was planning on having the badniks get "upgrades" via the armor system. For example, instead of just slapping a steel breastplate on a burrowbot and calling it done, you give them "extra-thick steel plating" instead. Of course, it's just flavor and will function the same as a breastplate though.

Theoretically I could add mineable power rings to the game, which could then be transformed into a "shield" via a reaction. However there's no way to make it vanish after one hit so basically you would have a near invincible badnik running around blocking everything with his power ring.

On the subject of mining, I was also planning on replacing adamantine with eggmantine. Same properties, just a different name and red in color.

How about this, we have two teams, working on the Robotnic arc, and the Freedom Fighters/ Sonic Team arc?

I'll do the Robotnik arc. Although I did have some ideas for the freedom fighters too. Hedgehog spines with the cutting power of adamantine should cut through swatbots pretty easily. ;)

Also, in order to balance out the bots a bit, I was thinking of downgrading their steel skin to aluminium skin, with a steel "skeletal" system.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 06:44:34 pm by [5th]Lupin »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2011, 07:16:24 pm »

Posting to watch, this is actually a truly great idea. Bonus points for horrific megaprojects like robotnik's face as made by the badniks.

I don't think this has been brought up, though: obviously "coins" of all color need to be replaced by rings. Or perhaps gold coins could be Chaos Emeralds, silver coins could be 1ups, and copper coins could be rings? Man, I don't know. Itnetlolor has the best ideas for this project -- I didn't realize how fitting a Robotnik Fortress could be to the setting.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 08:03:38 pm »

Got the oil template.
Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:OIL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen oil]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen oil]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:oil]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:oil]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling oil]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling oil]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:6:0:0]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[SPEC_HEAT:4181]
[IGNITE_POINT:10508]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
[BOILING_POINT:10180]
[HEATDAM_POINT:10250]
[COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:500]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
[MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:6600]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:6600]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[MAX_EDGE:500]
[ABSORPTION:100]
[IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
[OIL_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]
I didn't really do much, just replaced some names and colors. I feel like oil's pretty close to blood in most physical aspects. I also set it to a higher material value so it can be used in trades.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:05:44 pm by elf-fondling human »

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 08:12:50 pm »

Got the oil template.
[MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:OIL_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen oil]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen oil]
[STATE_COLOR:LIQUID:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:oil]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:oil]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:BROWN]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling oil]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling oil]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:3]
[SPEC_HEAT:4181]
[IGNITE_POINT:10508]
[MELTING_POINT:10000]
[BOILING_POINT:10180]
[HEATDAM_POINT:10250]
[COLDDAM_POINT:9900]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:NONE]
[SOLID_DENSITY:500]
[LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE]
[MOLAR_MASS:NONE]
[IMPACT_YIELD:10000]
[IMPACT_FRACTURE:10000]
[IMPACT_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[COMPRESSIVE_YIELD:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_FRACTURE:10000]
[COMPRESSIVE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TENSILE_YIELD:10000]
[TENSILE_FRACTURE:10000]
[TENSILE_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[TORSION_YIELD:10000]
[TORSION_FRACTURE:10000]
[TORSION_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[SHEAR_YIELD:6600]
[SHEAR_FRACTURE:6600]
[SHEAR_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[BENDING_YIELD:10000]
[BENDING_FRACTURE:10000]
[BENDING_STRAIN_AT_YIELD:100]
[MAX_EDGE:500]
[ABSORPTION:100]
[IMPLIES_ANIMAL_KILL]
[OIL_MAP_DESCRIPTOR]
I didn't really do much, just replaced some names and colors. I feel like oil's pretty close to blood in most physical aspects. I also set it to a higher material value so it can be used in trades.

Thanks. I'll add this to the bots when I start working on them later tonight.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 08:25:28 pm »

Also, I feel like maybe oil should just replace alcohol in general, since robots don't get drunk, and in fact, do not drink.

Also Also,
[PLANT:BUSH_OIL]
[NAME:crude oil plant][NAME_PLURAL:crude oil plants][ADJ:crude oil plant]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:2]
[BASIC_MAT:INORGANIC:IRON]
[PICKED_TILE:6][PICKED_COLOR:5:0:0]
[DRY][BIOME:ANY]
[GROWDUR:300][VALUE:2]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:OIL_TEMPLATE]
The material template is just called "alcohol" so we need to give it a proper name.
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen crude oil]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:LIQUID:crude oil]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:GAS:boiling crude oil]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:5]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DRINK:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:DRINK]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[EDIBLE_VERMIN]
[EDIBLE_COOKED]
[SEED:oil plant seed:oil plant seeds:4:0:1:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:SEED]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:100]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[PREFSTRING:spikes]
[WET][DRY]
[BIOME:ANY]
[UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:3]
[SHRUB_TILE:58]
[DEAD_SHRUB_TILE:58]
[SHRUB_COLOR:5:0:0]
[DEAD_SHRUB_COLOR:0:0:1]

The plant. I think it should grow and be harvestable, but I'm not totally sure.

And a reaction to refine the oil, cause we can't just use it crude, right?

[REACTION:REFINE_CRUDE_OIL]
[NAME:refine crude oil]
[BUILDING:REFINERY:CUSTOM_O]
[REAGENT:crude oil plant:150:PLANT:NONE:BUSH_OIL]
[REAGENT:liquid container:1:TOOL:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[DOES_NOT_ABSORB]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[HAS_TOOL_USE:LIQUID_CONTAINER]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:LIQUID_MISC:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:paste:PRESS_LIQUID_MAT][PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:liquid container]
[PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:paste:NONE][PRODUCT_PRESSED]
[SKILL:PRESSING]
So, this one I'm totally not sure about - I sort of just molested the press oil from paste reaction.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:07:14 pm by elf-fondling human »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2011, 12:26:35 am »

But what about the citizens? They'll be drinking oil just as much, unless Robotnik's gone green (would make sense, considering the immense amount of machinery and expansion. Fossil fuels would be non-existant considering how much would be needed to run everything at once. I know I'm overthinking the reality part of it, but it can at least handwave the use of going green with materials and material flexibility. Further considering sources; can make Robotnik even more of a monster. Think mermaid farming of mass oil production variety. Yikes.). But even so... bleah!! XP. I think the robots can drink rendered animal fats as an alternative or something (unless plants can also have oil extracted as well). Tallow reactions can be remade as grease blocks (ingestable by robots easily; and the occasional ballsy dwarfy Mobian).

Anyway, regarding rings and emeralds and such, maybe we'll need some of those to be crafted (emeralds can be mined/converted from gem deposits; low quality, compared to Angel Island's giant chaos emerald and super chaos emeralds (canonicly, and naturally cut/created by the world (why worshipped by echinda tribes); Robotnik can craft artificial chaos emeralds to power his machines by the mystic energies of emeralds (superweapons and energy beams)). Can be divided by color, and assumed properties [PREFSTRING]s (Red ones could have [PREFSTRING:radiance of courage] for example)), as for the 1UP and shields and such, I think those TV-boxes or containers should replace chests more like. It makes the most sense that they're containers for goods (10 rings, 1-UP, Robotnik bomb, teleporter, shield box, Super Sonic charge (debug mode)), plus, they would make more sense in the context of a tileset. As for crafting rings, I think gold ones are essentially the magical ones that protect, so they'd be top value; then silver and copper rings will be of the lesser quality/variety (and value obviously. Good for commerce and trade.). Again, it'll fit in the context of a tileset better, and show more depth in the Sonic universe. BTW, what about gold plating all those rings, and saying they're the legendary true gold rings (masterwork)? Truest of legendary pure rings glow technicolor around Hyper Sonic (S&K Hyper Mode and see for yourself). And we can't forget those giant rings. I'm uncertain of what those would be good for though. What can work in proxy of those best?

I can imagine artifact making with some of these properties.
Quote from: The Fall of Eggs
Urist McBuzzbot, Forger has crafted a masterpiece. This is a gold giant ring. The craftsnikship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of copper rings. Hanging off it are rings of copper giant rings. It menaces with spikes of cut red basic chaos emerald. It menaces with spikes of rough green giant chaos emerald. Engraved on it is an image of three badniks and a hedgehogman. The hedgehogman is laughing.
Foresight? And I want to see this rendered as well now that I reread it.

@freeformschooler:
I wasn't kidding when I said I was a die-hard fan of the classic Sonic games. It kinda helps that I recently replayed some of them as well. A couple months ago, but still, to me, it's recent since I beat one of the games in a single sitting. Got very close (by 50k) to breaching 1 million points in a single playthrough for the hell of it. S3&K, longplaythrough, from 3 to K. Yeah, my memory regarding the classic genesis age is still pretty fresh to assist idea-wise. Unfortunately, I lack the talent and patience of DF modding, but should be a vault of input and ideas, and will also volunteer for beta testing even. I'll also try to keep the ideas as relevant to the most recent versions of DF as they release as possible.

EDIT:
Considering how the rings will work, we need to distinguish them from wearable rings somehow. Like with the wearable rings could be renamed into bands or something or finger-ring. Something like that. Or name the Sonic-type rings as halo-rings or magic rings instead (they retain trade quality/economic value as currency however). I think the magic gold for the genuine rings should be made as a similar material, and unlike regular gold, is near weightless. Think adamantine light, except fragile as regular gold; crap as a weapon, but an excellent 1-shot armor (easily destroyed, but is sacrificed instead of taking damage; regular gold is more common than usual, but this is as rare or rarer than regular gold (gold doesn't change name however)). Magic gold (or halo-gold) can be a shade lighter than gold, as ore and processed, so you can subtly tell them apart (or they can have separate tiles made for them, pre-mined, post-mined, and processed/crafted).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 01:28:38 am by Itnetlolor »

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2011, 02:34:13 am »

Got some more work done with the swatbots. All their parts have been replaced with more robotic sounding things. Accidentally messed the upper spine up a bit though and I've gotta figure out how to fix it. Shouldn't be too hard.

Edit: I couldn't figure out the neck error. Here's my body part code and error, hopefully someone can find what's wrong.

BADNIK:SWATBOT:Body Token Recognized But Could Not Connect: NECK_GYRO
[BODY:HUMANOID:OPTICAL:AUDIO:AUDIOOUTPUT:MOUTH:NECK:NECK_GYRO:GYRO:CPU:CASE:PUMP:HUMANOID_JOINTS:5FINGERS:5TOES:RIBCAGE:INTERNALS]

body_default_robotropolis

[OBJECT:BODY]

[BODY:OPTICAL]
[BP:EYE:optical sensor:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][SIGHT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:EYE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:10]

[BODY:AUDIO]
[BP:R_EAR:right audio reciever:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][HEAR][SMALL][RIGHT][CATEGORY:EAR]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:15]
[BP:L_EAR:left audio reciever:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][HEAR][SMALL][LEFT][CATEGORY:EAR]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:15]

[BODY:PUMP]
[BP:HEART:oil pump:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][CIRCULATION][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:HEART]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]

[BODY:INTERNALS]
[BP:GUTS:internal components:guts][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][GUTS][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:GUTS]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:600]
[UNDER_PRESSURE]

[BODY:AUDIOOUTPUT]
[BP:THROAT:sound card:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][THROAT][EMBEDDED][SMALL][CATEGORY:THROAT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:40]

[BODY:NECK_GYRO]
[BP:NECK_SPINE:head's stabilizer:STP][CON_CAT:NECK][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON][CONNECTOR][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:100]

[BODY:GYRO]
[BP:UPPERSPINE:center gyroscopic stabilizer:STP][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:150]
[BP:LOWERSPINE:lower gyroscopic stabilizer:STP][CONTYPE:LOWERBODY][NERVOUS][INTERNAL][SMALL][SKELETON][CONNECTOR][CATEGORY:SPINE]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:150]

[BODY:CPU]
[BP:BRAIN:CPU:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][THOUGHT][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:BRAIN]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]

[BODY:CASE]
[BP:SKULL:CPU case:STP]
[CONTYPE:HEAD]
[INTERNAL][SMALL]
[CATEGORY:SKULL]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20] -- small until there's a notion of hollowness/etc.
This lets you make a totem out of the part.  The relationship between the skull and the brain is established within body detail plans or the creature itself.
[TOTEMABLE]

I'm also having a hard time getting any color modifiers to work with the bots metallic skin or eyes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:48:26 am by [5th]Lupin »

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2011, 04:46:29 am »

Whoops, accidentally quoted my old post. Sorry.

Still having problems with the things I mentioned though.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:49:04 am by [5th]Lupin »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5