Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: How about Sonic mods?  (Read 19622 times)

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
How about Sonic mods?
« on: April 06, 2011, 08:17:17 pm »

I previously made a thread asking if there were any pokemon mods, there were few, and we even came up with ideas on how Pokemon could work, but now, i have a new idea: How about Mobians from the Sonic series?
Put into this light, Dr. Robotnik and Armok could easily have been roommates.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: How about Sonic mods?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:27:04 pm »

I haven't heard of one, but that's a VERY good idea.

(on a semi-related note, though, there is a Super Mario mod out there (although IIRC its not updated th the current version of either Dwarf Fortress or Super Mario))

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

jetex1911

• Bay Watcher
  • [MAXAGE:∞]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 09:20:15 pm »

I wonder though, how would we get the different species of animals that mobians can be? we could do just the basic ones, like hedgehogs, foxes, echidnas, and cats. maybe after this, we add in the not-so-common ones.

Known as That_Kobold on BYOND

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 10:25:39 pm »

Both hedgehogs and echidnas are sponsered animals, coming soon to a DF game near you*!

*Soon is a variable and all encompassing term. See also: Valve Time.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:00 pm »

Both hedgehogs and echidnas are sponsered animals, coming soon to a DF game near you*!

*Soon is a variable and all encompassing term. See also: Valve Time.

I think hedgehogs are already in the game.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 10:49:59 pm »

I'm not too familiar with Sonic, but wouldn't all the mobians be a civ race?  As in, they'd all have to be castes of one species?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 11:47:53 pm »

I think it's fairly firmly established that Moebians are all distinct species, but the only evidence I can think of for that is Sonic's relatives, like Uncle Chuck in the SatAM cartoon, all being hedgehogs. It'd make more sense as a big civ race, though, mainly because you can get a mix of species without babysnatching. Oh, and you've gotta have bats, for stupid, sexy Rouge.

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 01:29:22 am »

A couple months ago I was mulling about the idea of creating a Robotropolis (Robotnik) civilization full of various classic-badniks (caterkiller, ballhog, maybe swatbots, etc) as castes.

They would basically fill the role of goblins I suppose. Or, you could play as them and watch in horror as the [SPEED:0] megabeast, Sonic "the Hog of Hedges" lays siege to your peaceful robot factory.

I never did any work on it though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 01:49:28 am »

To make more sense with DF and using hedgehogs, foxes, and echidnas as creatures that can cause damage, as well as some irate locals and so forth; why don't we have this done from Robotnik/Eggman's perspective? He's got tons of fortresses throughout the entire series, is a mad genius, and has countless workers doing nothing but building and maintainence for him. He only really makes an appearance when all is lost. Why not? Fortress crumbles message would be something like: "Eventually, that blue hedgehog found you and finished your Zone, and foiled your plans again. Next time Sonic, NEXT TIME!!!!"

Considering the kinds of megaprojects that would get made and everything, they would essentially become the levels of the games. I can imagine a Death Egg megaproject would be due. Just as well, don't we all make death machines of sorts? Much of them look like what the Walrus (coo-coo ka-chu) would setup in the many Zones just to kill a single elusive blue furball. A [SPEED:0] blue hedgehogman (specific megabeast caste; can be made a little more common (extra lives)) would be a nightmare. He would also maybe need some degree of [TRAPAVOID] as well (kinda wish it was more variable than a solid absolute). Do similar with the other characters. Add the suffix -man and give them their abilities, or traits close to them. Tails would be nasty to deal with. A double-tailed flying beastman that is almost as quick, has [TRAPAVOID] by default (inventor/kid genius), and can trigger levers that he crosses as well. Kuckles can also sort-of fly (glide more like). Whenever scaling (constructed) +1Z walls becomes implemented, he should be a [CLIMBINGSPEED:10] (or FAST) by default, and have a particularly nasty fist/punch damage level (with a chance of sending his targets flying/explode in gore). That should at least cover Team Sonic.

Robotnik's legions would be multi-purpose robots EGGBOTS (not animal controlled; possibly egg-bots (as seen in Sonic & Knuckles, Sky Sanctuary Zone; usually armed with beam rifles) doing all the work building wing fortresses, plants, and bases. Migrant waves would be reinforcements. You'll need to adapt kennels or modify them into an animal conversion chamber, which converts certain animals into certain badniks (Auto war-creature option). They will serve as the defense, as they do in the original games.

I've been a fan of the classic Sonic games, and would like to see this made. Plus, I would like to see how it would be being the bad guy for once. We have easy access to Marble Zone/Lava Reef Zone, and can easily build Metropolis Zones and Wing Fortress Zones.

Some inspirational music
A little more music

Been a die-hard fan of the Genesis age of Sonic since childhood. Not so much with the recent stuff. 2D Sonic is unbeatable (popularity-wise) compared to it's 3D future.

EDIT:
Made some adjustments.

And an additional thought (to scare Chaoseed even more): Play through all of the games (at least the first ones). They're all types of fortresses we're familiar with anyway. We have (deep breath): beach settlements, green hill establisjments, marble gardens, hill top magma pumps, oil oceans (magma/obsidian more like), scrap yards, chemical plants of sorts, azure ruins, luxurious cities made for gambling and the rich, mystic jungle villages, airbases, desert fortresses built within pyramids, ice fortresses, lava reefs, undergrottos/hidden temples, hydropolii/flooded labyrinths, and even wing fortresses/flying batteries, and hell, even floating islands, and locations flooded with colossal fungii of various colors (above and underground). Plus, with the latest features, let's make sure the minerals are easy to get (keep the mineral rarity number reasonably low in worldgen) so we can more easily replicate some of these places.

Bonus points to those that can list the zones and fotresses that match their descriptions (aside the obvious ones; still list them anyway if you can find more examples).

I don't think this mod would be out of place in DF at all. Fund it!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:41:31 am by Itnetlolor »

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 02:31:07 am »

Yeah that's pretty much what I was thinking about.

Maybe if I have some free time in the coming days I'll try to throw together a Robotnik civ. But only if I'm not considered a part of the "darker side" of the Sonic fandom. I don't approve of that nonsense.

I might not get around to it though so nobody should get their hopes up.  ;)

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 02:39:54 am »

To make more sense with DF and using hedgehogs and echidnas as creatures that can cause damage, as well as some irate locals and so forth; why don't we have this done from Robotnik/Eggman's perspective? He's got tons of fortresses throughout the entire series, is a mad genius, and has countless workers doing nothing but building and maintainence for him. He only really makes an appearance when all is lost. Why not? Fortress crumbles message would be something like: "Eventually, that blue hedgehog found you and finished your Zone, and foiled your plans again. Next time Sonic, NEXT TIME!!!!"

This is the part where I said "This actually makes a lot of sense". Not coincidentally, this is the part where I said "This is scaring me".
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

[5th]Lupin

• Bay Watcher
  • Since '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 07:34:41 am »

I've got swatbots pretty much done right now, as a test. Right now they're made out of steel and have a body like a human sized bronze colossus, but I'm planning on adding "vital organs" to them to make them more killable. Things like "oil pump (heart)", CPU (brain), gyroscopic stabilization system (spine), optical sensor array (eyes), etc etc if it's possible. I'm probably going to add nerves too to represent the various hydraulic systems, oil lines, etc. Next project will probably be the... burrow bot (with natural dig skill), or maybe the buzzbomber with a fireball attack.

In order to represent manufacturing, I'm making all the standard castes male with one female caste known as "replicators". This will lead to marriage and other silly things, but since it's impossible to create a living thing from a workshop, it's the best I can do. 

Currently I have an all master, iron clad badgerman fighting a novice unarmed swatbot, and the badgerman isn't doing much against him. But then again neither is the swatbot because I  forgot to set its physical attributes! :P

Edit: Looks like I spoke too soon. A little bit after I unpaused the game the swatbot pummeled the badgerman to death.

Edit 2: Elephants are great at destroying swatbots.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:19:32 am by [5th]Lupin »

Aglathan

• Bay Watcher
  • In brightest day, in blackest night.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 01:30:02 pm »

And all the mixmod fans rejoyced.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 02:17:35 pm »

I could probably help with some material and tissue templates, like making some oil-blood that'll spurt out when they get ripped apart.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2011, 02:50:28 pm »

And that wall of text also conviced me it could be done right.
Not often I get a comment that shows appreciation of my occasional walls of text. I'm hoping the things I mentioned can inspire other side-projects to get done to contribute to this.

Seeing what's been made so far, I think this mod will add more nightmare fuel into the game (Sonic series), and we don't even have the Chaos (Sonic Adventure) megabeast added yet. We'll see what's actually happening through the Sonic-verse where the (Archie) comics, games, and TV series censor due to how 'damaging to kids' it would be to see the real consequences of Robotnik's takeover of Mobius. I wouldn't expect it to be a simple and harmless (capture sentient animals, and make them operate machines via internal controls), I visualize it (with this mod-in-progress) as more like forcing the animals into operation of the badniks much like being uplinked into The Matrix. Imagine the mental scarring and physical trauma of said animals after rescue, provided they survive the machine they're uplinked to being shattered apart at sonic speeds by a lightning fast fuzzball (wearing a shield of fire, lightning, or water even). And what about the critters in the container tubes (after boss fights. Alternative to cages) that are possibly witnessing the carnage? Just imagine the carnage. Like my prior post: the unabridged version of Sonic is definitely DF material; and high octane nightmare fuel as you play as Robotnik's forces (and how to overcome producing and supplying all the badniks as your forces, and taking over regions).

EDIT:
Since I mentioned it, ever notice the critter pods at the end of zones (post-boss fight) are just as overstuffed as DF cages when you open them?

Just as well, someone has to render those screenshots in Sonic style (game sprites/comics/TV series). They're just begging for one.

Mod title idea: Sonic Unabridged- Robotropolis Edition/Arc (A Sonic the Hedgehog DF Mod)

After the Robotropilis Arc is taken care of and is quite playable, we can add the Freedom Fighters Arc, and make Adventure Mode with the main characters as playable races to play the mode in (with their megabeast qualities intact ([SPEED:0], [FLYING], and etc. retianed, except for [TRAPAVOID] to keep Adv. Mode fun.); especially after a zone is made by the player, and you can abandon a fortress without everyone getting killed and items scrambled post-abandon.

EDIT EDIT:
"Taming" captured critters would essentially be brainwashing them into Robotnik's cause, the uplink is the final step the adding them to his forces as living weapons with an armored shell. So yeah, physical and mental trauma to the extreme upon rescue, like waking up a Cyberman in the Doctor Who (uni/multi)verse. It would (nearly) kill them in the process. I can imagine dungeon masters in Robotnik's cybernetic forces would also be the Eggman/Eggbot equivalent to the interrogation droid from Star Wars. Make sure the brainwashing and conversion is done right, no matter what gets converted towards the cause.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:48:05 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5