Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unfarmable soil  (Read 1752 times)

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unfarmable soil
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:10:54 pm »

Hi, I'm working in a couple of raws learning and etc, right now I'm making an alternative inorganic_stone raw for my own use and I want to post it in the  mod's Topic, anyway:

I don't want to change the core aspects of the already existing soil raw and the main land marked with [SOIL] and [SOIL_SAND] is [UNDIGGABLE] To prevent easy underground farming, so, how can I make a [SOIL] layer unfarmable? I want be able to dig anywhere but still having the limited farming?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Unfarmable soil
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2013, 12:54:40 am »

Make it not soil and have it drop boiling rocks.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2013, 03:15:10 am »

wouldn't traders and such still bring it the boil away instantly?. also what about mandates

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 10:32:09 am »

wouldn't traders and such still bring it the boil away instantly?. also what about mandates

The [SPECIAL] tag handles all of that.

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 11:53:38 am »

uhm... But I need it as the main soil, because I don't want an easy underground farming I need it to be the most common layer everywhere, if I cut the [SOIL] Token (Since is the only one with [SOIL]) The stones in the game start to change frantically ._.
Oh, and the main soil have the [NO_STONE_STOCKPILE] It does not give anything for trade.

In the same question line, If I make a soil layer like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That "USE_" I found it in the wiki, it actually make the stone work as something else? In this case, as MUD? (This stone is the opposite, this will allow the underground farming, but only if you are lucking of find such clusters, not as easy as the vanilla game)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:01:03 pm by stormcry0 »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 12:10:39 pm »

But, I think the [SOIL] token that makes it the ground covering is tied to the ability to farm in it, right?  I don't think you can have one without the other.

I think you are pretty confused about syntax.
What you did there with the [INORGANIC: ] token was simply declare that you are making a new material and gave it the name "USE_MUD". 
In the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE: ] token you tell it you are starting from the template called SOIL_TEMPLATE.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 12:44:26 pm »

I'm fairly certain that the game requires you to have at least one type of soil, and freaks out without it. You can remove the majority of the types of soils but you still need at least one. And since the aspects of [SOIL] are directly tied into farming, I don't believe that it is possible to have soil that can't be farmed easily.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

stormcry0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 01:23:18 pm »

So, I'm doomed, with soil that always get farmable and a stone layer that will never be farmable unless is soil or gets flooded....

Uuhhhmm, how I make a soil to be very hard to be digged?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:59:44 pm by stormcry0 »