Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Complete Weapons Database  (Read 10313 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for Elven Civilization
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2011, 05:30:08 am »

Suggestions for Elves: So far, I'm probably going with specifically Japanese weapons here.
The variety should be fine, without going overboard. It will be interesting for me to come up with a source for elven katanas etc., considering their lack of actual metal. Hopefully, the new materials and the unique cultural traits of DF elves will counterbalance any feeling of samurai oversaturation.

...Dwarf sushi, anyone?

I dislike the elven japanese weapons idea.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

NightS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete Weapons Database
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2011, 08:09:46 am »

NEIN, no wapanese elves please (wtf, wooden katanas? and wooden naginatas? THOSE ARE JUST STICKS!)

carriontrooper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2011, 08:40:36 am »

Heya! Nice armory you've got here. I've got additions for Southeast Asian weapons (especially from Indonesia, 'cuz that's where I came from):
-Rencong (Acehnese curved one-edged blade with L-shaped handle)
-Kelewang (Generic name for a slew of machete-like weapons in Indonesia)
-Kujang (Came from Western Java, a traditional Sundanese weapon which look like a cross of a sickle and a one-edged blade)
-Mandau (A one-edged sword from Borneo, it is usually engraved and inlaid with gold, and there is a mass-produced version called the Ambang)
-Clurit (Sickle, usually used to cut grass and greenery, but in Madura there is a weaponized version)
-Badik (Dagger, used in various places in Indonesia, usually around Sumatra)
-Parang (Another form of machete)
-Terapang (A kind of Keris from Lampung, which is in Sumatra)
-Pasatimpo (Another kind of Keris from Sulawesi (Celebes))
And here's some websites that offer Filipino weapons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filipino_martial_arts
http://en.wikipilipinas.org/index.php?title=Category:Traditional_Filipino_Weapons
Websites on Thailand weaponry:
http://www.usmta.com/thai-weapons.htm

and oh hey, something that could be useful for you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_martial_arts_weapons
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m%C3%AAl%C3%A9e_weapons

And here's some African weapons, they don't get enough spotlight:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunga_Munga
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rungu_(weapon)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:African_weapons
http://www.hamillgallery.com/SITE/Weapons.html
I am wretched, but I am STRONG!
I am the future... I AM ZERG!
LIVE FOR THE SWARRRRMMMMMMMM

Dave1004

• Bay Watcher
  • This is getting personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2011, 08:43:02 am »

Japanese elves? OH GOD NO, THE JAPANESE CAN'T GET ANY MORE HOMOSEXUAL.

Well, I guess it does come with benefits. I can launch my magma cannon on samurai elves with orange spiky hair!...

No, seriously though, sweet jesus please don't. Feudal era Japan was bad enough as it was. Now, combine it with elves (Who, remember, have everything from Giant Cave Spiders to Grizzly Bears) riding down on your fort, attempting to save the trees.

One thing that would be cool, if you want the elves to be able to fight, make a Treant type unit. You know, ents, living tree guys. They could fight alongside the Elves.

And they would be very very very susceptible to magma...:D

Hardcap of 200 MB/24 hours.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2011, 01:14:40 pm »

Not that great a contribution, but I sniggered at Bipennis.
Sorry....
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2011, 12:49:00 pm »

Don't worry! The Japanese elf idea is not subject to popular vote. Whether it goes into the mod or not, you can entirely blame it on me.
For they would be your masters.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 02:59:38 am »

I just wanted to let everyone know that the first version of my mod is working/loading, and in the testing phase. It incorporates the above weapons, and ties them to separate entities, as well as many new reactions, new and modded entities (minus humans, but still more entities than vanilla), and other content. I'll be posting it as soon as I'm finished with the alpha (bug) testing.

Compared to what I'd like to do, it's still fairly simple, unbalanced and rather unpolished, but it should serve as a comfortable expansion of the current vanilla DF content.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2013, 01:28:08 pm »

I'm making progress on this mod, enough for a short update, anyway, although it's still slow-going, overall.   

Here are some notes on weapon construction, primarily swords right now, so that everything is in one place, and to give some idea of the depth-of-detail I'm going in for. 

Types of sword blades:

Size: Small Blade, Medium Blade, Long Blade, Broad Blade, Thin Blade.

Shape: Needle Blade, Bastard Blade, Great Blade, Wave Blade, Serrated Blade, Cleaver Blade, Curved
Blade, Crescent Blade, Scythe Blade.

Sharpening: Single Bladed, Double Bladed, Sword Breaker.

Blade Ornament: Fullered, Blood grooved, Double Grooved, Triple Grooved, Engraved, Inscribed,
Runed.

Size Classes:
Spritely -99%, Miniscule -66%, Petite -33%, (Dwarfy) 0.0, Large +33%, Oversized +50%, Huge +100%

Massive +200%, Gigantic +300%, Colossal +600%, Titanic +1200%.

Parade versions are an additional 25% sized. Curtanas are 25% smaller. Toy versions are 50% smaller.

Pommel Shapes:
Nut
Mushroom
Crooked-Hat
Disk
Hexagon
Wheel
Lobed
Trefoil
Boat
Crescent
Shield
Flower
Cube
Sphere
Fig
Pear
Sunburst
Hammer
Fishtail
Catshead
Hawkhead
Wolfshead
Lionshead
Bearshead
Carpshead
Dragonshead
Dwarfshead

Pommels can have sword-knots, or tassels. They can be decorated/engraved, and set with gems of small to large sizes, or fashioned from a single huge gem.   

Grip: Can be made from shagreen (an especially tough, processed but untanned leather, often made from shark skin or ray skin), leather, wood, metal, silk, cloth, horn, ivory, or bone, or possibly even enamel or stone, which then goes around the tang of the blade, and is wrapped with wire, strips of leather, silk thread, or cord,  and possibly tiny nails, to hold it in place. 

Ricasso-blade: A blunt portion of the blade, used as a secondary handle for greatswords and bastard swords. Can be engraved, or otherwise decorated, apart from the blade itself.

Rainguard/Chappe--can be decorated, can be made from metal, bone, shell, stone, or leather.  Can be set with gems of various sizes.

Types of hilts:

Ring-hilt: A handle which consists of a large ring. Can be decorated variously.

Crossguard--can have quillons, tassels, can be set with gems.
Bar
Waisted
Rectangular
Bowtie
Curved
Flattened
V-shaped
S-shaped
Knobbed
Quillons can also be decorated, in addition to the main crossguard.

Baskets: Can be Double-Ornate, Double, Ornate, Cup, Full, or Half. Made from metal. Can be set with small gems.

Alternative weapon materials:
Alternate materials:
Primitive
Ornamental
Parade
Stone (granite, etc)
Lithic (Fine stone)
Jade
Flint
Chert
Bone
Sharkstooth
Ivory
Shell
Tusk
Lead
Bamboo
(Hardwood)
(Exotic Wood)
Bloodythorn
Copper
Silver
Gold
Platinum
Rattan
Weighted
Ceramic
Obsidian

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2013, 03:28:06 pm »

This is a screaming case of too-much-contentitis.

You deserve a spot in Dwarfheaven.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2013, 04:23:20 pm »

This is an amazing amount of weapons, great work.

Spoiler:  new weapon (click to show/hide)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2013, 03:28:08 am »

Thank you, Funk; and thank you, Bitoru.

I plan on adding several "knuckle-duster" and gauntlet-type weapons.  Atleast 6 basic types, and as many as a dozen or so, with many variations and ornamentations possible. I might even end up adding a few boot weapons, since I do plan on linking various skills to various weapons (for instance, there are already 3 "weapons" that depend on the surgery skill, and several that will depend on hunting, fishing, and cooking skills--skill with a cleaver translates, and watching your Fortress's fat old master chef bash the occasional goblin with a cast-iron frying pan just sounds like FUN--much like the way the pickaxe depends on mining.) and kicking makes sense for that kind of synchronicity.

A master blacksmith may not ever be in the same league as a Hammerlord, but there should be some basic level of skill, and a lot of muscle-training carried over, coupled with intricate knowledge of the strengths and weaknesses of metal.

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2013, 05:25:10 pm »

how many swords are you going to have to code for?
do Pommels have any affect (i.e on blunt attacks) or are they ornamental?
this will be ineradicable!
and for you sir the first time i have used a smiley on these forums  :o :o :o

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2013, 04:08:40 pm »

sackhead:

I'm going to say "over 50 new swords", since I don't have an exact number, yet. Right now, the number is at 52, I think...I'd like to aim for 60 basic types of sword, as a nice round number, but there will be a great deal of variation possible. I'm allowing anything pre 1800, that doesn't involve gunpowder or any other technology I don't want to include. The mod will really only be limited by the game itself, and how many different formulas it can handle, but I'm hoping to circumvent that by breaking the mod itself into several different versions, each dealing with a different locale (something like different continents/regions on the same fantasy world).   

With 60 swords, I'm hoping to add atleast 90 different types of knife, and hopefully many more than that, as logically, there should be much more variation of knives than swords.

Hammers, axes, spears, ranged weapons, etc. should also each have a minimum of 15 separate types, currently, and if at all possible I'd like to double that.
This number does include "tool" type items, however.

Also, the aim of the mod right now is almost entirely targeting historical weaponry, mostly Western and Middle Eastern, but the scope could become broader, as the fantasy world I'd like the mod to "fit", itself becomes more fleshed out, and as I pull in ideas on adding Eastern, and early/primitive influences.

Each weapon will therefore need to be coded many times over, to allow such a high level of variation, as a single weapon might require a dozen or more different reactions.

It's a big, big mod.
One of my current "big three", along with rebuilding the economics of the game, and vermin/intensive diversification of the biosphere.

I'm also planning one on new entities, which may include as many as 14 different dwarf civilizations, all playable, and which will cover a time-frame from shortly after the creation of the fantasy world, to shortly before it's ultimate destruction, in a quasi-"real time", as primordial entities give birth to new generations of beings which can slowly "evolve" into dwarfs and ogres and dragons and such (or maybe a road less taken...), and then slowly diversify from there, and into the apocalyptic "end-times".

This mod and the others are laying the foundation for that eventual one.

If I can manage to get this working the way I want, the ability to choose how much time passes before you Strike the Earth will very significantly affect the type of game you end up playing, and give you a new experience each time, but in any case, I definitely plan on having weaponry and other products "evolve" as time goes by, and especially as your infrastructure increases, and you face different enemies.
The big idea is to be able to build a civilization from Paleolithic proto-dwarf founders of the species, all the way up to where your New Druegar or whatever are living in something that could have come out of William Hope Hodgeson's Nightlands, A Canticle for Leibowitz, Mad Max, Judge Dredd, Gor, or any other fantasy, horror, apocalypse, or New Weird novel or sourcebook I happen to be reading at the time, or something that's truly noticeably unique, depending on your choices, in-game and out, and random chance.

The aim will be towards semi-historical, well-researched and realistic fantasy, taken from the distant past and eventually into a quasi-futuristic high fantasy, and it's eventual fall, rather than science fiction, although there will certainly be a bit of both.

I figure maybe 20 years.

And there will be pommel attacks, yes. I've already done a bit of work on that. I'm going to try to cover every reasonable use of a given weapon in combat (A topic I atleast pretend expertise on, and have a lifetime of experience with; mostly, but not entirely, of a scholarly nature), and that will include various ways of using a sword as a club. For that matter, some "clubs" will have much of the flexibility of a sword, and some swords won't be much more than metal clubs.

And thank you!  8) 8) 8)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]