Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Pick and Axe : building and living in a home v.3  (Read 72899 times)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Pick and Axe : building and living in a home
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2011, 05:34:48 pm »

How exactly do use the 16x16 option in Dfusion. It has all(very obvious), block around pointer?, and range(x0,y0,z0,x1,y1,z1) < big confusion. Tried asking in mode section, but was onfused even further.Posted it here, since Adv Mode players have used it.
it's 16 by 16 on a grid of that size so if you use the one block in the area and it saids 5,3 then move down one and it saids 5,4 this means the pointer was on the bottom part of 5,3 16 by 16 size and your on the bottom half.

it's tricky but play around with dfliquids and it's block mode to get the feel of grid placement.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 17, 2011, 01:03:37 am »

About 16x16 blocks:

Each block is one square on the world map at embark.

Disregarding the z-axis for the moment, 0,0 is the uppermost, leftmost block, 0,1 is the block to the right of that, and so forth.

On a 2x2 embark, we have four blocks:
|-----------|
| 0,0 | 1,0 |
|-----------|
| 0,1 | 1,1 |
|-----------|

on a 3x3 embark we have nine blocks:
|-----------------|
| 0,0 | 1,0 | 2,0 |
|-----------------|
| 0,1 | 1,1 | 2,1 |
|-----------------|
| 0,2 | 1,2 | 2,2 |
|-----------------|

and so forth for bigger embarks.

By "block around cursor" DFusion means a particular block in this grid your cursor happens to fall in (it's not a 16x16 block centered on the cursor, as you might think). If your cursor was 14x14 tiles from the upper left corner, it will still select the 0,0 16x16 block, because it falls within the boundaries of the 0,0 block.

For the z-axis, topmost sky z-layer is 0, increasing as you go lower.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 12:37:26 pm »

Does this work with Genesis mod?
Desu

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 05:59:53 pm »

I don't see why not, I'm playing around with genesis for the large amount of creatures and added adventure mode content plus the chop logs saves time for cases of embarking in a tree less zone.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2011, 11:37:40 pm »

I'll try it then.
Desu

micha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2011, 06:45:03 am »

ok, i made an adventurer, leveled him up a bit and retired him.
then i built a fort on which i pressed esc and ran dfmode 1 1.
at this point the game simply saved itself and i was back to start playing.

from how i read this thread it wasn't supposed to happen quite like this, but i thought, what the heck.. i have .25 and the latest of the tools mentioned here. (oddly though, in dffusion it mentions a missing patterns2.lua, so i put '-- ' in front of the line referencing it in itempatterns.lua)

now i pulled my adventurer .. an actual dwarf! (only the 2nd or so time i had gotten the option to make a dwarf adventurer) out of retirement and proceeded to my site full of anticipation!

and yes! i was able to talk to the first guy i found for what seemed like hours and he was only to happy to tell me about the area in great detail. that was so cool.  everyone seemed to be alive as well. the animals were dead, but ok.

but things went downhill from here.

i could not get adventure changer to work and on running runesmith found that the flags of my original residents were not equal to each other. the folks that had been running around on the surface had different combinations than the ones that had stayed below.  so i made them all the same, changed my adventurer to the same set and retired the fort from the menu (maybe. i did so much experimenting, i'm not sure right now)

on reclaiming my fort i found my adventurer and all but 2 of the original dwarves at the old site. i twiddled the flags in runesmith and now everyone can do work .. but only the new crew of 7 can act as nobles or lead squads.

plus all the stockpile assignments are gone. everything was forbidden and only the item-'d'ump and area designations (pasture/hospital/etc) were left.

since everything's more or less running now i'm not too disappointed with the results so far but i'm truly stuck about how to 'do it right' ... and about what to expect.

... how could i wind up with a dffusion (3.4 from dffd) in which adventure changer (or anything else pretty much) does not work? (it mentions no problems on startup since i -- commented out the reference to the missing patterns2)

... when it works for you, do you still loose the stock-pile designations?
 (i used dflair on the fort)

... when it works for you, do some of your original dwarfs still die of starvation while you are travelling to the fort? ... do they die of hunger while you later play as an adventurer?

... if i locked or walled in the animals and made them merchants like someone suggested, would they stay alive?

... does machinery keep running?  do pressure plate one-way paths still work.. so i can use them to keep ppl inside the fort ...

that's a lot of questions but maybe someone can help me with the important ones. thanks!

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2011, 06:55:30 am »

so does this mean i could hatch that stolen roc egg?

EDIT: looked through the wiki and found that you need female egg laying creatures for the egg to hatch... nvm
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 06:57:57 am by em312s0n »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:52 pm »

yeah as of now you can unless you have a tamed female that laid eggs in a nest or found a way to stick eggs into a nest building.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 02:39:24 pm »

The game seems to crash everytime I try to change the adventurer, I'm using DFusion 3.8...  did he change how the change adventurer bit worked?  I did all the steps ahead first  (DFlair with DF hack, DF mode change)  but when I try to use DF Fusion to change my adventurer it says "Creature not found" and then Dwarf Fortress crashes (31.25)

Erm, also how do you avoid the settlement crumbling to dust, what mistake did I make?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 02:49:43 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 03:21:11 pm »

The game seems to crash everytime I try to change the adventurer, I'm using DFusion 3.8...  did he change how the change adventurer bit worked?  I did all the steps ahead first  (DFlair with DF hack, DF mode change)  but when I try to use DF Fusion to change my adventurer it says "Creature not found" and then Dwarf Fortress crashes (31.25)

Erm, also how do you avoid the settlement crumbling to dust, what mistake did I make?
hmm so do you have the pointer on the character you want to play?(you could set up the adventurer while in Fort mode)
and I don't use DFlair mostly for I'm getting info that it causing people issues(I just use DFusion's prevent scatter).
Oh and to avoid the settlement from crumbling you have to remove the "is resident flag" on a member of the fort so the game will see that there someone around and won't just Crumble.
you can do this by either runesmith or editing the plugin in ADv tools folder and adding a function that either looks for members of the fort and removes the is resident flag.
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 03:36:26 pm »

Ah which removes "is Resident"   checking the box or unchecking the box, cause in runesmith my adventurer had the box unchecked .. (probably coulda checked to see if the rest had it checked or not)  so I checked it.    And no it was doing Fortress first (The adventurer was retired at a retirable ghost Fortress next door)   I did the quick retire the 3rd time trying it for the fortress though.

So in summation:
- Unsure what constitutes as having removed the Is Resident flag
- The Fortress was built (well house) and my Adventure-to-become-res was next door at a Human Fortress that was ghostly but retireable in (it was empty but I could still retire at it)
- 3rd Time I did the quick retire  (Esc mode,  DFmode 1 1, Give In to Starvation)
- On the not quick version, I did not have any creature selected (I assume that means using v or k? or k over the corpse?)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 03:48:26 pm »

Ah which removes "is Resident"   checking the box or unchecking the box, cause in runesmith my adventurer had the box unchecked .. (probably coulda checked to see if the rest had it checked or not)  so I checked it.    And no it was doing Fortress first (The adventurer was retired at a retirable ghost Fortress next door)   I did the quick retire the 3rd time trying it for the fortress though.

So in summation:
- Unsure what constitutes as having removed the Is Resident flag
- The Fortress was built (well house) and my Adventure-to-become-res was next door at a Human Fortress that was ghostly but retireable in (it was empty but I could still retire at it)
- 3rd Time I did the quick retire  (Esc mode,  DFmode 1 1, Give In to Starvation)
- On the not quick version, I did not have any creature selected (I assume that means using v or k? or k over the corpse?)
well better have someone alive at the fort, I'm assuming you walk over to the fortress you recently retired and flip over to fort mode.
to remove is resident you have to check it off, if the adventurer has it off then all you need to do is change the civ number to the one of the local fort members(the ones before retiring)
if the adventurer is the same race you can successfully have control over him/her, though you might want to check the unit screen to see if it works(if the character you remove the flag doesn't have the title Friendly on then it works.).
"body swapping and YOU!"

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 03:54:25 pm »

Ah alright thank you!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 05:03:42 am »

I know double postage but I think it's  been a bit since i last talked in this thread, aye it has.

Is the process going to be slightly different now that DFusion is part of DFhack?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 07:08:57 am »

I know double postage but I think it's  been a bit since i last talked in this thread, aye it has.

Is the process going to be slightly different now that DFusion is part of DFhack?

yes very in fact in my emotional state from using the new Dfusion I say as of now avoid until we get that Freeze issue fixed.
but really most of the stuff you can do in Runesmith the only slow up would be getting companions/flipping to an animal which now hard as balls given that you have to look through a list that cuts off creatures once it past 400 and some of those creatures don't have names and the number list comes up as "g" meaning you have to physically count the order their in.
yeah it's really buggy infact.
"body swapping and YOU!"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6