Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Question about Security Clearance, etc.  (Read 7403 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Security Clearance, etc.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2011, 08:26:48 pm »

I like you.  Thank you for the lovely argument.  Provides lots of food for thought.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2011, 08:55:25 pm »

Is smoking weed seriously illegal where you live? I can understand cocaine/heroine/etc is illegal but weed?
I don't use weed myself nor do I smoke for that matter but going to jail for smoking weed seems ridiculous to me.

But I live in a country where cities want to grow their own weed so their citizens won't get any of the bad stuff...
(and yes that is actually true)
Sadly, it's illegal in most parts of the world. Very stupid, I know. It's mostly due to the fact that vast parts of America and the world in general are uneducated and when faced with something everybody else thinks is wrong they think they should think it's wrong-Once you do the research, you see that it's got almost no negative benefits, aside from the fact that it inebriates you to the point that you couldn't/shouldn't drive.
I thought there were other side-effects related to it as well? For some reason, the details elude me, but I think it had something to do with memory or something?
If this man hadn't smoked a bathtub full of pot this morning, he might have remembered. Now we'll never know! Think of what you're taking from the world!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2011, 11:11:16 pm »

I can say for sure about the security clearance. You will only loose your security clearance if you lie about it, or are disciplined for being intoxicated on the job. Like redking mentioned, it also would be bad if you were involved with drug enforcement.

As for the parent thing? The police can make up any excuse to arrest someone and send them to jail. Will a judge convict? I have no idea. it might be illegal, or interpetable as something like cntributing to the delinquency of a minor, who knows.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 11:15:28 pm by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2011, 11:52:12 pm »

Is smoking weed seriously illegal where you live? I can understand cocaine/heroine/etc is illegal but weed?
I don't use weed myself nor do I smoke for that matter but going to jail for smoking weed seems ridiculous to me.

But I live in a country where cities want to grow their own weed so their citizens won't get any of the bad stuff...
Sadly, it's illegal in most parts of the world. Very stupid, I know. It's mostly due to the fact that vast parts of America and the world in general are uneducated and when faced with something everybody else thinks is wrong they think they should think it's wrong-Once you do the research, you see that it's got almost no negative benefits, aside from the fact that it inebriates you to the point that you couldn't/shouldn't drive.
I thought there were other side-effects related to it as well? For some reason, the details elude me, but I think it had something to do with memory or something?
LOL  nice.  that was funny.

Also, I had Secret Clearance in the Army.  It ranges (or ranged from, it was 20 yrs ago):  open, confidentail, secret, top secret, eyes only.  Secret game me access to all our knowledge on Russia and Iraq at the time and lotsa cool other stuff.  I worked in the S-2/3 office (traning and security).  I had smoked weed before joining, the army knew it, didnt stop my clearance.  Investigators were mostly concerend about what I did, not someone else in my family.  AFAIK, the only time someone in your family being a "fuckup" (and i mean that in general, not drugs or anything) will haunt you is if you are running for office.

As far as parents arrested for childrens actions, depends probably on where you live and what the kid did (allegedly).
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 11:40:03 am »

Not sure if its the exact same, but I know my dad, who works at the nuclear power plant, will get in trouble with the plant if I were to use illegal substances.

Yet another reason for me not to do drugs. If not too personal may I ask where said plant is?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 01:07:21 pm »

Medicine is a drug. Weed is a plant that can be used for cloth and smoked.

Sorry, I just have problems with the term 'do drugs'. It just seems so overused when there's no real valid meaning behind it, but people have their opinions.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 01:57:03 pm »

It has a perfectly valid meaning that's always used - illegally abuse drugs.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 02:57:19 pm »

If this man hadn't smoked a bathtub full of pot this morning, he might have remembered. Now we'll never know! Think of what you're taking from the world!
Hereby I would like to declare that I have never, and especially not recently, attempted to grow, buy or otherwise acquire enough marijuana or other THC containing substrates to fill our downstairs bathtub or a container of a similar volume, nor have I ever attempted to light such a volume or to inhale the resulting smoke for it's intoxicating effects. I would furthermore like to point out that the "pot-like" smell coming from my bathtub is in no way related to these allegations and that the green plants in my backyard do not contain any illegal, psychotropic or hallucinogenic compounds, especially not THC.

Anyway, from the points here it seems that security clearance usually is not a problem. However, if the person in question is in a publicly sensitive position, then the fact that a family member uses illegal substances could be potentially dangerous. One would need to be careful in such cases because even though it may not cause problems up front, there are many who aren't afraid to create a little scandal to further their own goals if you know what I mean.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 07:09:12 pm »

I honestly hate every topic that x2yhz9 posts, to the point of almost wanting him banned, but I had to sig this because it was awesome.
Actual reply: What would you need to know about a security clearance anyway? Aren't you in middle school or something?

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »

I honestly hate every topic that x2yhz9 posts, to the point of almost wanting him banned, but I had to sig this because it was awesome.
Actual reply: What would you need to know about a security clearance anyway? Aren't you in middle school or something?
If you don't like my threads, don't look at them.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 09:24:29 pm »

It's like watching a train wreck, you can't look away~
I'm trying to re-live my RMN days as a relationship/drug thread troll, don't stop me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2011, 12:53:14 am »

It's entierly possible that this could mess with your parent's security clearance, but you should probably just check your area's code of law.

All I'm going to say is that just because you can do somthing doesn't mean that you should.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2011, 10:49:13 pm »

It has basically the same side effects as drinking alcohol, with the exception that pot is much harder to overdose on (or, at least harder to overdose on in a life threatening manner, at any rate) and won't ruin your liver, I think I heard that that prolonged use can, however, damage your lungs with tar similarly to tobacco smoke (provided that you smoke the marajuana rather than bake it into brownies or whatever), butprobably to a lesser degee if you're using pot that hasn't been cut with anything shady (not necessarily because pot is inherently safer in that respect, as much as because most commercially available tobacco cigarettes are cut with so many chemicals). (I've never actually used pot myself (though some of my friends do), but much of my information on it comes from sources that would be more likely to overstate side-effects than to understate them (such as a series of informational pamphlets that were available in the nurse's office at my old high school), so i feel that an assessment that it is safer than alcohol based on such sources is likely to be accurate.)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2011, 11:10:01 pm »

Marijuana has two serious side effects:  The first is getting really obnoxious and vocal about the legalization of marijuana.  The second is eating all the Cheez-Its.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2011, 11:17:22 pm »

And if you're really vocal about the legalization of marijuana despite not ever using or planning to use marijuana, illegal or legal?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3