Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DnD Discworld DM Noob  (Read 2427 times)

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DnD Discworld DM Noob
« on: April 08, 2011, 11:29:04 pm »

I'm going to start a roll playing game with friends IRL. I've never Dm'd before. So I came to ask if there is any general advice you could offer.

The game is going to be played using 3.5 (that's the system we all like best). The setting is going to be Terry Pratchett's Discworld.

The two confirmed players are going to be evil worshipers of Nerul (or equivalent discworld god) who are seeking to gain favor from their chosen god in what ever way they can. Also attempting to assume as much power as they can.

Another potential player might be Playing against them and trying to stop them. That's yet to be decided.

So advise me.

Edit: Im also going to apply alot of Discworld magic rules to 3.5. Like to much magic punches a hold into the dungeon dimension. ect.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 11:32:18 pm by Zaphod »
I only play legends mode

I also play on the longest history setting for hard mode.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DnD Discworld DM Noob
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 11:33:15 pm »

rail road as hard as you can.

Never be open to any suggestions.

Throw the rules out the window and play by your gut.

Who cares about logic?

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 11:34:04 pm »

I wish like facebook this forum had a "like" button so i could like that post.  :)
I only play legends mode

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 11:35:03 pm »

Eat chips, slowly, while they wait for you to roll.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:36:55 pm »

Real advice? You spell it as "hole" and don't make up house rules if you do not already have a good grasp of how the game works.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:43:54 pm »

Real advice? You spell it as "hole" and don't make up house rules if you do not already have a good grasp of how the game works.
Im still reading up alot on dming stuff. Not quite ready to play just yet. I've been a player tons of times. As a result I have a general grasp on what a Dm does. I just need to get the mechanics of it all down pat.
I only play legends mode

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 11:46:04 pm »

Double post!

Iv'e read a few places that Discworld is hard to addapt to 3.5. There is a gurps Discworld book out there. But Im not a big fan of gurps. And there are no pdf's of it. Actual copies are around $40 min and upwards of $80. So not getting that.
I only play legends mode

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 03:44:29 am »

I would advise against having players working directly against each other as a first time DM.  Just advice.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:28:28 pm »

bump times now?
I only play legends mode

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 11:02:25 pm »

There's a thread that's got a nice chunk of advice in Life advice, and as resident LA promoter, I feel the strong urge to recommend that you check it out (but not quuuuuuiite enough to find the link. It's on the first page)

Read Darths and Droids as well as DM of the Rings. Don't take advice from people who've only ever hosted on table top game, which was at basic and used a RTD engine with 3 coins taking the place of a d6 and included master chief as a character without including a large grain of salt. Seek feedback from the players at the *end* of a session, don't let them bully you. Don't be a bully. When you don't know if you should let the players do it, make a show of rolling it and auto-fail it to yourself.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Zaphod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 11:05:07 pm »

Master chief from halo? This is a fantasy setting I'm going to run.
I only play legends mode