Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Evil: Moddercluster the Mad Yarns of Editing.  (Read 12750 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Evil: Moddercluster the Mad Yarns of Editing.
« on: April 09, 2011, 11:35:36 am »

Evil: Moddercluster the Mad Yarns of Editing.

The links in this thread will not be updated and are to be considered invalid in any version besides 31.25. If you choose to use these mods, and your computer spontaneously combusts, I will not accept responsibility for your actions. You have been warned...

This first mod adds many new civilizations and races to deal with, the most important being semi-megabeast tribes. All in all there are 10 new races and 6 new entities, or civ groups. Details are below. Each civ group has it's own language file, cranked out by the extraordinary DFlang generator. In addition, each of them besides the tigermen has new weaponry. About half are hostile by default, and the others may have enough problems getting along to promote more fighting during worldgen, and thus more wars during gameplay. They all have some natural skills associated with them.

The races:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Civilizations:
    I desire a way to create unique sites in the future for each of these.
    For the sake of having some combative units from the civs, or in some cases because I want them to, all of these besides carp men will build fortresses and can be bandits. If site and more detailed civ modding is implemented I would LOVE to change things around.

I don't really intend to introduce many non-civilized creatures, but there are some new plants provided by this mod for the moment:
    These don't necessarily need to be here, I suppose, but meh, they're not specifically harmful.

Feedback is necessary to make this mod more entertaining. I don't really intend to add anything already provided by other mods, though I won't refrain if I decide I really want to do something, and will not search through every mod out there and screen out what they include, I just will not use their raw files. I also don't intend to change pre-existing objects like normal dwarves.

Download it from DFFD.here

Quite simply, it is a package of .txt files. Just extract them into your raw/objects folder and you're good to go.

Now for something almost completely different: Downloads to a few other minor modifications I've made.

Draconic Beasts Mod: A supply of new megabeasts and wildlife radiating from the central theme of dragons and wyverns.
    There are a few species provided:
    Lesser Dragon; stunted, wild variation of the standard dragon. They're still quite deadly.
    Emperor Dragon; The opposite. A terrifyingly large beast with far more skill than a standard dragon.
    Bestial Dragon; Roaming or homeless dragons that pose a great danger to travelers.
    Basilisks; huge draconic reptiles with a venemous bite. They appear in desert environments
    The Wyverns; mortal creatures often with little or no ability to use fiery breath or venom. They come in a wide range of sizes and dispositions, including small tame predators and vicious pack-hunters who stalk and kill travelers. They own the skies.
    - mountain wyvern: a sufficiently large wyvern that is capable of breathing fire. Only inhabits mountain ranges.
    - Yeric wyvern: a highly aggressive and sometimes dangerous pack hunter about 2/3s the size of a cow. Found in temperate areas with vegetation.
    - Woody wyverns: small, cowardly predators that generally fear your dwarves.
    - Storm wyvern: a terrible adversary capable of mass destruction of unskilled or singular opponents via a deadly dust attack.
    Wyrms; immortal legless wyverns. Currently only one member; the frost wyrm. Very dangerous opponent in melee. If you get ambushed in the arctic, just run, don't look to see what ambushed you, just assume it's a frost wyrm and understand that you cannot win.
    Dragon men; a race of sentient humanoids of a draconic sort. They are a miniature dragon twisted at the hips and thumbs to stand erect in a human posture. They have the power to breath fire and may raid your settlements. Some are civilized and may assault you in a more organized manner.

You can download that here[/list]
    « Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:42:00 pm by Eric Blank »
    I make Spellcrafts!
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
      • View Profile
    Re: Evil: Race and Civ supplementation mod.
    « Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:58:53 pm »

Downloaded. Will post results and probably look for the source of those plant bugs. This looks fun.

EDIT: Which entity are Ngikopses?
    « Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 04:06:20 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
    Quote from: LordSlowpoke
    I don't know how it works. It does.
    Quote from: Jim Groovester
    YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
    Quote from: Cheeetar
    If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • *Remain calm*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 09:19:00 pm »

They're in the beastman file. All three of the beastman civs can have any of the four races btw.
    I make Spellcrafts!
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
    • Carry on, carry on
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 01:33:38 am »

Why not call colbaldilium simply cobalt? A few other mods also use that convention.
    ...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • *Remain calm*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:34:24 pm »

Because I wanted to reinforce that it was an alloy and not cobalt metal. The reaction mixes cobalt ore with copper right now.

I've updated the file, listing, and OP for a new version. Ettins are in! More civs will appear in cities in adventure mode, namely the cobalds. You can safely ignore the previous comments about bugs with the plants, it was caused by an entirely different mod with a duplicate plant raw entry.
    I'm very likely to use this as a file dump for other mods of mine in the future.
    I make Spellcrafts!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • Sane, by the local standards.
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 09:54:32 pm »

War elephants are in the Fortress Defense mod, but the general idea is still good. Maybe a carp-type race?
    Sig
    Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
    [GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 08:39:20 am »

Looks interesting. I'll be following this.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • *Remain calm*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 02:07:09 pm »

I don't really know where war elephants come into the picture besides being semi-megabeast quality... I certainly had no intention of involving elephants anywhere.

Indeed a race of terrible carp-men would be Fun for the whole family. Maybe if they were prone to rage and skilled in unarmed combat... The question is though whether they should be skulking thieves like kobolds that will only send ambushes after successfully stealing your stuff... And very good ambushers at that.

Further ideas for that?
    « Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:10:22 pm by Eric Blank »
    I make Spellcrafts!

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 01:09:42 am »

This is a very interesting mod!  I haven't made it very far, I've just done some adventuring as cobald so far.  I just tried to start as a paklaran though, and when the game started I was a crundle!  This seems wrong somehow...

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
    • OldGenesis since 2012
      • View Profile
      • My Flickr animal photos
    « Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:06:47 am »

Sounds like !Fun!. I always pictured beastmen to be more in the human/werewolf size range, 50-120 kg, gnolls, hyenamen, and include tigermen.
    So the beastmen civ is creatures from 1.1 tons (minotaur) to 10-20 ton giants. Did you arena-test the biggest fellows, what does it take to slay them? Because an "immortal" sieger screws up your migrants and caravans. Or did you mean immortal as in "no dying of old age"?

Please tell me you put TRAPAVOID on all beastmen, because they're huge and wooden cages are punchable.
    I'd rather call the beastmen "the brute alliance" or "giants of stomping".

Feel free to use my Finnish language file in this mod for cool but long names. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8967397/language_FINNISH.txt
    Or http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2921  with the original ä and ö characters.
    Example names:
    « Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:33:03 am by TomiTapio »
    ==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
    47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
    OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
    My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 08:52:28 am »

I don't really know where war elephants come into the picture besides being semi-megabeast quality... I certainly had no intention of involving elephants anywhere.

Indeed a race of terrible carp-men would be Fun for the whole family. Maybe if they were prone to rage and skilled in unarmed combat... The question is though whether they should be skulking thieves like kobolds that will only send ambushes after successfully stealing your stuff... And very good ambushers at that.

Further ideas for that?
    I was just saying something I thought would be awesome.
    Maybe carpeople would have constant ambushes...

Also, do paklaras build fortresses? If they built ocean forts (which I think they should-a place to rest, you know), would they be flooded or not?
    Also, when paklaras build homes in oceans, are they on the ocean floor? Once again, are they flooded? If not, Just Embark would make the possibility of ocean forts more possible than ever!
    Sig
    Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
    [GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • *Remain calm*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 01:09:47 pm »

This is a very interesting mod!  I haven't made it very far, I've just done some adventuring as cobald so far.  I just tried to start as a paklaran though, and when the game started I was a crundle!  This seems wrong somehow...

Well, this is more or less a problem with how the game handles sites existing over the ocean. I apologize for making them liable to do it, but they will actually build their cities over the ocean, and these sites don't actually exist physically in game, it's just empty ocean. So if the game decides it wants to spawn you in one of those sites, the only place it CAN spawn you is in the caverns, which for whatever reason makes you some creature other than the intended.
    The only way I've found to counteract this is to generate somewhat larger worlds with more coastlines that they will fill up before building in the open ocean, and make them actually arise in inland swamplands. Carp men may be limited to wetlands and rivers, as lakes will almost certainly create this same problem.
    Coastal towns however are very interesting. It won't place buildings in water and only places them up on the terrain behind the beach, and there will almost always be a full town not just farmlands.

GWG: I answered some of that already here, but yes, paklarans will build fortresses, even over water, which also don't exist.

TomiTapio: Thanks, I may regenerate the tigerman language or some others, maybe if you wanted to use the finnish language file for the tundra human civ? My definition of beastmen wasn't really clear I know, maybe it will be changed. They aren't trap-avoid yet but that's a good point. They ought to be subject to weapon traps and pressure plates at least, but ill make it so when I update. Toady intends to change how cage traps work anyway.
    They are immortal in the sense they cannot die of old age, but they are still very powerful with higher natural skills and attributes, added to their more brutal weaponry. Killing them takes at least proficient weapon skill, some shield skill, and a lot of dodging. They will tear you to shreds otherwise.

I have added a new mod listing to this thread; the dragon kin mod. Plenty of fiery death for us all.
    It won't be the last addition I hope.
    « Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:59:12 am by Eric Blank »
    I make Spellcrafts!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    Re: Evil: Moddercluster the Mad Yarns of Editing.
    « Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 02:02:15 pm »

Well, that's sad, I wanted to start a fort in a submerged town, digging down from the inside of a house until I hit the caverns, then starting a fort there...cool, no?
    Sig

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • *Remain calm*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 02:55:29 pm »

Indeed it is.
    Inevitably, Toady will take notice in his spare time and come up with a way to either fix the bug or promote underwater and artificial island cities or sites. Or as I'd suggested quite a while ago, promoting modding custom sites and buildings in some way. So much fun could be had... That's not something to look forward to for a while though as it may well mean a complete rewrite of how sites work; more along the lines of making DF multi-thread compatible.
    I make Spellcrafts!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 05:12:06 pm »

Er...My raws are very modded, with FD, Dwarf Caramel, Wizard Tower, and some fiddling of my own in addition to "Moddercluster." How hard is it to uninstall the old version and install the new one, and is there anything in the new version that is incompatible with Fortress Defense, Dwarf Caramel, or Wizard Tower? (There shouldn't be, but it hurteth not to asketh.)
    Sig
    Pages: [1] 2 3