Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Question  (Read 2366 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Military Question
« on: April 09, 2011, 05:47:25 pm »

I have training set to two minimum in a three-dwarf squad. One is storing an item in a barrel, the other two are "individual combat drill"ing.

Huh? What am I doing wrong?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Question
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 05:49:07 pm »

They don't always spar, maybe you just have to give them some more time.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

They don't always spar, maybe you just have to give them some more time.
>:(
Also, why is that one just...wandering around? Now he wants to sleep? Great, when you wake up grab that training sword on the ground and get to work. Yes, it's a little burnt; no, I don't care. Stupid dwarf!
Oops, wrong thread.
EDIT: First dwarf, good job at getting to practice.
Other two: You have no job. What is wrong with you two?
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 06:08:41 pm by GreatWyrmGold »
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 06:01:26 pm »

Solution: Station squad over functioning danger room.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 06:09:02 pm »

Solution: Station squad over functioning danger room.
No pick. Challenge.
Sig

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 06:42:51 pm »

Squad of 3, train minimum2, means 2 dorfs will do military things (indiv. combat drill, dabbling biter demonstration, maybe spar) while the third will be a civilian.  Which 2 will be "training" will vary, unless you set 2 of them as preferred under the "Active/Train" alert in their schedule.  If you set the squads alert level to inactive, or change the order to no scheduled orders, then all three will do indiv. combat drill.

You might want to try setting a kill order on some easy wildlife like foxes, rabbits, and groundhogs.  It will give them much more experience.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:43:22 pm »

Squad of 3, train minimum2, means 2 dorfs will do military things (indiv. combat drill, dabbling biter demonstration, maybe spar) while the third will be a civilian.  Which 2 will be "training" will vary, unless you set 2 of them as preferred under the "Active/Train" alert in their schedule.  If you set the squads alert level to inactive, or change the order to no scheduled orders, then all three will do indiv. combat drill.

You might want to try setting a kill order on some easy wildlife like foxes, rabbits, and groundhogs.  It will give them much more experience.

JMZ
They can't find a path to the halibut.
Oddly enough, though, that's how I normally train military.
Sig

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 10:16:03 pm »

JMZ

Wait, you have dwarves that refuse to jump in a river and fight a fish? :o  Are you SURE you're playing Dwarf Fortress? :P

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2011, 06:32:25 am »

JMZ

Wait, you have dwarves that refuse to jump in a river and fight a fish? :o  Are you SURE you're playing Dwarf Fortress? :P

JMZ
A. No, I have dwarves that refuse to swim several z-levels in salt water to fight a fish.
Salt water stings.
B. Yeah, I'm sure; I got a few worthless dwarves who refuse to station themselves on my bridge to drown themselves.
Sig

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 10:34:10 am »

Have you set their schedule to active in the squad screen?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 06:38:25 pm »

Have you set their schedule to active in the squad screen?

Yeah, that tends to trip me up, so I was about to suggest that.  You can set the schedules in the schedule screen all you want, but until you flip the squad to active/train, they'll just do individual training.