Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Expanded Glazes Mod  (Read 18044 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Glazes
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 03:10:43 pm »

Adamantine glazed pottery might be neat to have around. Would it just be a bright blue glaze?

Pretty much, yes.  I could give it the properties of adamantine, but I don't think it matters - it probably only cares about the properties of the pot, not the decoration on the pot.  Glazing something with adamantine is basically the same as making menacing spikes with adamantine.

(Of course, if you glaze a pot with rust red glaze and then make it spike menacingly, you could say it was "blood red glaze"...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 03:24:03 pm »

By the way, is there any way to add a decoration onto a reaction?

Like one of the things that comes with making a statue or decorating an object?

I'd like to make jugs and pots possibly have decorations in glaze if they are dichromatic or polychromatic
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 03:29:00 pm »

I'd like to make jugs and pots possibly have decorations in glaze if they are dichromatic or polychromatic
Not that I know of.

:<

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2011, 03:35:45 pm »

That would be awesome if you can get that to work. I'd definately look into glazing my pottery more often. As it stands now, glazing is a really neglected industry for me. The glazer migrants are lumped with the soap makers, lye makers, etc and just pressed into my hauler gangs or military.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2011, 03:36:55 pm »

Recently changed, it is now possible. Here's the example the raws give.

Format for IMPROVEMENT below is <chance>:<reagent target>:<type of improvement>:<mat tokens>
   Supported types are COVERED, GLAZED, BANDS, RINGS_HANGING and SPIKES.
   GLAZED is a type of item improvement (similar to "covered with <mat>").

[IMPROVEMENT:100:jug:GLAZED:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:glaze:GLAZE_MAT]

From reaction_other

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 03:39:12 pm »

Format for IMPROVEMENT below is <chance>:<reagent target>:<type of improvement>:<mat tokens>

From reaction_other
Oh, neat. But is there a way to put historical events and pictures on the pots yet via reactions?

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 04:06:27 pm »

From reaction_other
Oh, neat. But is there a way to put historical events and pictures on the pots yet via reactions?

IIRC the ART_IMAGE improvement is bugged right now, but presumably will be instituted in a future release
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Glazes Mod
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2011, 05:24:51 pm »

I'm just going to use BANDS, instead.  It should still increase value, and look like there's something, there, at least...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2011, 05:43:01 pm »

It's up on DFFD, now.  See the first post.

Tell me if you find any bugs, here...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:53:26 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ojd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2011, 08:06:54 pm »

I genned a small world to test this out.  The only error was when selecting "Make white glaze powder" it took a bag but produced "powder" which wasn't usable.  Using make glaze from useless / ore allowed to make white glaze from Sphalerite.  Everything else worked fine.  I was able to ash / mono / poly glaze items, and even got a few bands.  Thanks for this mod, it adds much needed options.  If you are taking request an enamel process would be great.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2011, 09:54:24 pm »

I genned a small world to test this out.  The only error was when selecting "Make white glaze powder" it took a bag but produced "powder" which wasn't usable.  Using make glaze from useless / ore allowed to make white glaze from Sphalerite. 

OK, maybe I did something sloppy with the white glaze powder raws, I'll go check that...

By the way, sphalerite is supposed to be a "useless" ore, since it's only used in making brass, which has no serious economic value.  Zinc is perfectly safe to throw into the grinder, but tin can be useful if you want to make bronze, so I thought people might not want to use up their tin.

OK, I see where the problem is.  If you look in reactions_glazes.txt, in MAKE_GLAZE_WHITE, I used GLAZE_MAT_WHITE in the reagents, but only GLAZE_MAT in the product line, and so it wasn't finding the type of material.

You can probably correct that in your own copy more easily than to download another, but I'll upload a corrected version, as well.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 08:47:37 am »

A few improvements you can make:

1. Unless you intend to add additional types of ash glaze, it would probably be safe to change the ash glaze-related actions to use INORGANIC:ASH_GLAZE directly (and to have MAKE_GLAZE_ASH take BAR:NONE:ASH:NONE as a reagent) rather than bothering with a reaction class that contains only a single material. In case you're wondering, since the ASH material is hardcoded into the game, the association between ASH and ASH_GLAZE via GLAZE_MAT is also hardcoded along with it.

2. Your polychrome glaze reactions have multiple reagents named "glaze container" - you might want to rename those to be distinct.

3. Your glazes define STATE_NAME:ALL and then override it with STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL - if you want the name to be one thing and the adjective to be something else, then use STATE_ADJ:ALL for the second one. You might also want to change STATE_COLOR:SOLID to STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID so that you include the POWDER state.

4. It's "cinnabar", not "cinnibar".

5. I would argue that "useless ore" should only be used for ores which cannot actually be smelted - cinnabar, cobaltite, orpiment, stibnite, pyrolusite, and pitchblende. Anything else (garnierite, galena, and sphalerite) is still technically useful, especially when dealing with mandates, so it would be unwise to automatically destroy all of them. Also, I disagree that brass has no economic value - it's more valuable than any type of bronze or pewter, and the recipe for making it is one of the most profitable ones available (value-2 metal bar + value-2 metal bar -> two value-7 metal bars), second only to steel (which takes two value-10 metal bars, 2 coal bars, and 2 flux boulders to produce two value-30 metal bars).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 08:49:14 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 11:43:28 am »

OK, I'll revise some of those...

I think I'll stand by the useless stuff, though.  I would think that players who need to protect their lead supply for mandates has the ability to just forbid those from ever being used.  "Useless" is for protecting something you wouldn't want to forbid, like iron or copper, which have other direct uses. 

As for brass, zinc glaze is worth 8 (as compared to tin's 10) apiece, and you get 5 uses of the stuff.  (Actually, maybe I should tone that down a little...) 

If more people have problems with it, I could change it, but I'll keep those the same.

I'll fix the typos and such, of course.

Also, I'm adding Ultramarine Lapis Lazuli - that's an important, rare pigment as well.

EDIT:
Actually, I could make another layer of reaction classes, making the current "useless" ores into "non-critical" and making another class for "unsmeltable"  that would serve both purposes... it's not like the quern is overflowing with options right now, anyway.

The thing is, I don't want to reduce the "useless ore" reaction down to a point where they are forced to use other options because it's too narrow a field.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:05:42 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2011, 12:16:00 pm »

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone think I should make the glazes get stored in a jug instead of a bag?

You might not have enough bags, but if you're making lots of glazes, then you probably can make jugs to go with them...

EDIT:
Oh, and if you can come up with good alternate glazing materials, I'd be happy to know about them.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 12:35:31 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2011, 01:58:42 pm »

Glazes are generally fine-ground and used in small amouths, it would make more sense to put them in jugs or pots.

Adding images through reaction doesnt work yet as I tested with my adventure mode deface reaction.

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:DEFACE]
[NAME:deface something]
[ADVENTURE_MODE_ENABLED]
[REAGENT:thing:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[IMPROVEMENT:100:thing:IMAGE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:thing:NONE]
[SKILL:PROSE]

A pity.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5