Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Expanded Glazes Mod  (Read 18279 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Glazes Mod
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »

I'm having trouble testing making a reaction where glazes are put into jugs...  Specifically, the glazes are not put into jugs.

Is this some sort of weird bug where jugs can only contain liquids, and can't contain any other form of material?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 02:40:01 pm »

No, wait... I see the trouble, now...

A single glaze takes up the entire jug.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 09:36:36 pm »

3. Your glazes define STATE_NAME:ALL and then override it with STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL - if you want the name to be one thing and the adjective to be something else, then use STATE_ADJ:ALL for the second one. You might also want to change STATE_COLOR:SOLID to STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID so that you include the POWDER state.

When you mentioned this, I wondered why I had it like that... I just looked up the "vanilla" raws, and this is the way that Toady had the ash and tin glazes in the raws - [STATE_NAME:ALL:ash glaze] [STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL:ash glaze]
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:57 am »

New version of the mod is up.

It now uses jugs, which was problematic to get working right, but if you don't mind jugs now having ten times their original storage capacity, they work right.  (Since every use of a jug requires an empty jug, anyway, that shouldn't be much of a problem.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2011, 05:19:34 pm »

This mod is actually relatively similar to my own mod, where I added a bunch of glazes, and went through and made raws to mimic glasses almost exactly so as to mod in my own glasses as well.  I also had it use 1/5th of powder instead of a whole rock, which was always quite silly. 
It is probably bad form to tout it here, but it is here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80803.msg2123696#msg2123696
Many of the glazes we both inevitably used overlap because we both based it on real-world glazes.  I focused far less on glazes because originally glasses were my obsession.
You have my ultimate kudos for making a much more in-depth system, with the multiple decorations and such.  I am SO going to download this and incorporate it into my game, tis made of distilled awesomeness.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2011, 07:36:07 pm »

This mod is actually relatively similar to my own mod, where I added a bunch of glazes, and went through and made raws to mimic glasses almost exactly so as to mod in my own glasses as well.  I also had it use 1/5th of powder instead of a whole rock, which was always quite silly. 
It is probably bad form to tout it here, but it is here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=80803.msg2123696#msg2123696
Many of the glazes we both inevitably used overlap because we both based it on real-world glazes.  I focused far less on glazes because originally glasses were my obsession.
You have my ultimate kudos for making a much more in-depth system, with the multiple decorations and such.  I am SO going to download this and incorporate it into my game, tis made of distilled awesomeness.

Ah, I saw you mentioning that.

Yes, I also want to try to create a more comprehensive mod that includes using various metal and plant powders as pigments for a broader range of uses in decorations.  You could easily use the same metal powders you use for glazing to make an enamel (it's functionally the same process, you just do it on metal, rather than ceramics), a stained glass, and even, (using ammonia instead of vitreous substances,) as a dye for fabrics or as a paint.  With some sort of lacquer or varnish substance, you could make lacquerware.  The traditional red lacquerware of China, in fact, is made from cinnabar. 

I actually also want to make one further bump up in my work, to make it possible to just make the jug glazed in the first place.  With things like earthenware jugs or earthenware large pots, there's no point in them unless they are glazed, since a jug is meant for storing liquids, and an unglazed earthenware jug cannot hold liquids. 

Hence, you can just glaze it in one step... although that would cause a problem if I can't have some sort of doubled-up skill use.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2011, 12:01:52 am »

Why *do* they need to be POWDER_MISC_CREATURE? Admittedly creature and plant mods are more my forte, but the raws for gypsum plaster don't refer to a specific kind of powder at all, and that'd be the most similar thing.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2011, 12:21:05 am »

Why *do* they need to be POWDER_MISC_CREATURE? Admittedly creature and plant mods are more my forte, but the raws for gypsum plaster don't refer to a specific kind of powder at all, and that'd be the most similar thing.

Because I wanted them to be stockpiled in some way - plaster is listed as [IS_STONE] and then [NO_STONE_STOCKPILE].  It's not on the stockpile menu at all.  You have to use a stockpile for the bags to get the bags with gypsum powder in it where you want them, and even then, it doesn't discriminate between bags that are empty or filled with gypsum powder.

Don't ask me why, ask Toady.  I don't know why he didn't make a list for stone powders, especially since there are stone powders in the game, but there aren't any bone meal powders.

I had them as POWDER_MISC, which makes it a plant powder, but then, POWDER_MISC_CREATURE has no items in it at all, so I might as well have it as that.

Basically, there's no particularly logical place in the stockpile menu for things like this, even though there really should be, and so I had to take the best place I could find - the empty bone meal section.

It's not a place you'd think to look, but at least you can hit 'p' and 'f' to enable the whole list in one button press, so it's the most useful once you know.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2011, 12:26:08 am »

This mod is looking good. Going to put it in my next fort, and guess that means I'm going to have to look for a place with clay or maybe kaolinite and play around with it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2011, 12:36:19 am »

This mod is looking good. Going to put it in my next fort, and guess that means I'm going to have to look for a place with clay or maybe kaolinite and play around with it.

Fire clay and magma kilns are the ideal setup.  Of course, just setting up shop in a jungle and deforesting the place like an elf's nightmare works, too. 

It's just too bad that sand/glass is generally useful for more stuff than ceramics.  You can make a lot of silly stuff with glass that you really shouldn't.

You can find embarks with both fire clay and sand on it, though, if you look for it.  Drainage is key to finding the right soils.  You seem to want very low drainage.  (Of course, sand can contain aquifers.) 

If you get fire clay, sand, trees, and flux, almost regardless of whatever else you have on your map, you can generally count yourself a fairly lucky dwarf with plenty of options at your disposal.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2011, 12:45:25 am »

Aquifers aren't a problem generally, I'm pretty good at breaching them. Takes me about a season to bust a dual soil layer aquifer, and there are only 2 types of stone aquifers so they are fairly rare. Fireclay would probably be easier to find than kaolinite too, as well being essentially infinite if it works like sand collection. Guess I know what to look for then.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2011, 07:52:27 am »

By the way, if anything I do/have in my mod appeals to you, feel free to use/exploit it in any way.  I'm not a copyright nazi.  Some of my ways of making things work are a little makeshift, of course...

Now that you mention it, ammonia was another of the things alchemists were good at... I am going to now become obsessed with, and need to learn about, paints, it seems... Oil and acrylics...

Urist McCreative mutters mysteriously "paints... poisonous..."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2011, 08:47:59 am »

Because I wanted them to be stockpiled in some way - plaster is listed as [IS_STONE] and then [NO_STONE_STOCKPILE].  It's not on the stockpile menu at all.  You have to use a stockpile for the bags to get the bags with gypsum powder in it where you want them, and even then, it doesn't discriminate between bags that are empty or filled with gypsum powder.

Don't ask me why, ask Toady.  I don't know why he didn't make a list for stone powders, especially since there are stone powders in the game, but there aren't any bone meal powders.

I had them as POWDER_MISC, which makes it a plant powder, but then, POWDER_MISC_CREATURE has no items in it at all, so I might as well have it as that.

Basically, there's no particularly logical place in the stockpile menu for things like this, even though there really should be, and so I had to take the best place I could find - the empty bone meal section.

It's not a place you'd think to look, but at least you can hit 'p' and 'f' to enable the whole list in one button press, so it's the most useful once you know.

I've actually noted this on the bug tracker, along with a recommendation of a [POWDER_MISC_OTHER] for storing plaster and possibly even sand.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2011, 05:32:16 pm »

I like the glazes... but I have one BIG gripe about this mod.

Why have you changed the Dwarven religion to include such elements as Depravity and Evil.  This is a mod about GLAZES, not deviant behavior.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2011, 06:39:48 pm »

My guess is he didn't think about putting the reactions in a vanilla entity_default file and just used his own. Just copy the section of permitted reactions out of his entity file and copy it into your own. Thats what I did at least since I got a number of changes to my entity file as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5