Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Commercials  (Read 20531 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Commercials
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2011, 07:40:24 pm »

no love for One Dwarf Against the World?
Only if we want to go for the kind of commercial that attracts angry teenagers hyped up on testosterone, like GTA.

"Dwarf Fortress: IT'LL MAKE YER MOM AFRAID OF YOU. BUY IT NOW OR WE'LL HURL LEGIONS OF FLESH EATING MONKEYS AND NANOBACTERIA AFTER YOU AND YOUR DOG."
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2011, 01:26:37 am »

[camera, far far away, shows a fort suspended on a support.
[camera zooms to Urist]
[Urist pulls lever]
[camera zooms out]
[fortress falls, magma starts pouring out]
[sign says: "Dwarf fortress: Losing is fun!"]
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:42 am »

Close-up of a Dwarf, staring forward intently. The shot then switches to a lever. A discordant choir slowly gets louder and more frantic as the camera switches to the Dwarf, to the lever, back to the Dwarf, to the lever, faster and faster...

As the choir reaches the boiling point, the Dwarf pulls the lever and everything goes quiet for a few seconds. Then the screen is loudly engulfed in magma. Cut to DF logo with elevator music in the background.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2011, 11:44:42 am »

Close-up of a dwarf, staring forward intently. The shot then switches to a lever. A discordant choir slowly gets louder and more frantic as the camera switches to the dwarf, to the lever, back to the dwarf, to the choir, to the dwarf, to the lever, to the choir, faster and faster...

As the choir reaches crescendo, the Dwarf pulls the lever. The camera cuts to the choir, still screaming loudly. Then the screen is engulfed in magma. Cut to DF logo with innocent whistling in the background.

Sorry.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2011, 03:14:39 pm »

Let me tell you a story of a ragtag band of wanderers who find a new home to settle far from their old masters.  A story of life, love and family, of a community working together to strike the earth and create a future for themselves.
-cut to scene of a female dwarf holding her baby while she picks ripe pickle berries from a farm plot. 

A place of where danger lurks around every corner seeking to tear down this peaceful life.
-cut to scene of evil ugly goblin watching from the shadows as the mother puts her baby down while she returns to work in the fields.
-cut to scene of distraught mother crying and screaming reaching out into the darkness from her doorway, "Noooo, bring back my baby!"

A place where the machines of war are fueled by the burning rage and grudges against those who would upset this new land.
-cut to scene of many dwarven weapon and armor smiths working forges scattered around a pool of magma, the red/orange backglow painting the shining steel of new weapons and armor a dull blood red.

A place where ingenuity, invention and cunning are as deadly as any army.
-cut to scene of sweaty dwarf working with hand tools on some mechanical device.  camera pans back to show a control box with a lever sticking out of it.  he tightens the last screw and then pulls the lever.  Hundreds of giant steel serrated disks erupt from the hallway behind him in a dazzling display of deadly intent and engineering brilliance.  "Groovy", he says.

A place where the pain and terror of war are far too familair companions.
-cut to scene in hospital, beds and traction tables full of brave, wounded dwarven soldiers, beards matted with red blood.  A much over worked doctor storms into the shot, "More soap dammit, We need more Soap!" he bellows out in frustration.

A place where loss and suffering are felt deeper then the cut of any knife.
-cut to scene of drunken dwarf in mess hall yelling in hysterical frustration, "Dammit, there all dead. All of them.  Do you hear me, all of them!  My friends, my famliy!  All lost!"  he smashes his table in a sudden rage, grabbing his chair and throwing it across the room, hitting another dwarf.  Turning, he grabs the dwarf drinking behind him and begins to beat him mercilessly while in the background shouts can be heard from city guardsman.

A place where the past seems to always find you.
-cut scene to a noble arriving at the new town, sneering at the old expedition leader.

A place where the cruelty of government can be felt like a yoke about the neck of freedom.
-cut to a scene of same noble giving a speech, "I hearby declare that No silver blocks shall hencforth be sold until time as I see fit.  Also, I demand that my bedroom be furninshed in platinum only. bedecked with many gems!"  behind her can be scene dwarves carrying large hammers, an ugly, gleeful look in there eyes.

A place where justice can be as unforgiving as the foulest of demon gods.
-cut to scene of dwarven commoner lying on the ground amongst dark shadows, one hand raised over him in defense.  Scattered about him are silver blocks glinting from distant torchlight. "Look, you just dont understand, I have to sell them to feed my family.  Dont you get it?!  The economy is broken!"  The camera pans to show a wickedly armored dwarf lifting a giant hammer over his head with a snarl, before bringing it down with brutal efficiency, his eyes and smiling teeth gleaming in the dancing light.

----------thats all i got now.  this is a great thread.  Also,........sigg'd
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:31:31 pm by Gorjo MacGrymm »
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Julien Brightside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Artblog
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2011, 03:59:41 pm »

I think I see a pattern in the posts here.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 15, 2011, 01:27:43 am »

[Camera shows a single sock lying on a field]

Marlboro commercial voice actor: "Greed is the strongest force in our universe..."

[Camera zooms out a bit, showing a severed foot lying next to the sock]

"it has not only started wars..."

[Camera zooms out even further, showing an elven ambush squad behind bushes, waiting...]

"Greed also"

[Camera now shows about 10 dwarves running towards the sock, the one up front being a legendary crutch-runner]

"ends wars!" The voice actor begins to cough and retch, for whatever reason...

[One dwarf after another gets shot and killed, trying to grab the sock]

[fade to black]

bay12games.com/dwarves

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2011, 06:30:57 am »

*Fade from black to stock footage of a fire*

[action movie announcer]: This January...

*Scatered clips of dwarves fighting goblins and elves*

Beards...

*scattered clips of forges making weapons*

Will...

*scene to a dwarf shotting a crossbow... straight up*

Fly.

*that same dwarf simply standing there, looking at the camera. The bolt comes back down and hits him in the head with a hollow thunk*

Dwarf Fortress.

*scene to a dwarf trying to drink magma*

URIST THE DUMB: Nope. Not booze!

*scene to a dwarf picking an axe*

URIST MCSOLDIER: Let's see... steel, no... iron, no... bronze, no... Ah. Wood axe! *picks up wooden axe*

Today, we facepalm.

*scene of god facepalming*
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2011, 02:08:32 pm »

The content of the commercial doesn't really matter all that much if you get a really good voice-over.

ResearchIndicates: Play Dwarf Fortress.

*Player-base Doubles*
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 16, 2011, 02:23:31 pm »

Also, the dwarves should be voiced by Scots, the humans by Americans, the goblins by Germans, and the elves by valley girls.

I dunno, I think we should have a British accent for the goblins too. Just more sordid.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #55 on: April 16, 2011, 02:58:46 pm »

Also, the dwarves should be voiced by Scots, the humans by Americans, the goblins by Germans, and the elves by valley girls.

I dunno, I think we should have a British accent for the goblins too. Just more sordid.
I'd go with a british accent for the Elves. Get someone pompous-sounding.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2011, 03:07:25 pm »

I say, old chap, that the british fop would most certainly be of human or dwarven stock.  By George, elves are not even [BEAST_HUNTER]s, they've no initiative at all, no verve, I say.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2011, 03:21:00 pm »

Ooh, I know! Give the Elves really obnoxious, exaggerated Canadian accents.
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 16, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »

God damn I'm going to reach my hand through the internet and RIP OUT YOUR THROAT.

Ooh, I know! Give the Elves really obnoxious, exaggerated Canadian accents.

Never mind, I'm happy now :)
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2011, 03:38:03 pm »

God damn I'm going to reach my hand through the internet and RIP OUT YOUR THROAT.

"UnrealJake grabs Gatleos by the throat with his right hand.
 UnrealJake pinches Gatleos in the throat tearing apart the muscle.
 An artery has been opened by the attack!"

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6