Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?  (Read 13525 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »

Hey.

Hey you guys.

Dwarf Fortress has its own history.

Hey.

Think about that.

Actually, does it not have its own pretty much nearly infinite variation of histories?

I think a little more technology could be added without major problems and remain properly dwarfy, especially if magic comes along and elves stop being gimps and humans become overpowered...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 09:45:34 pm »

I want gun powder and steam power, then I would be in dwarf heaven forever.  I am pretty sure once dwarves obtain steam power and gunpowder they can space-travel.
Dwarves discover space travel by blowing themselves up. Humans do it for bragging rights. Goblins want to rape alien babies. Elves want to find something else to rant about.

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:01 pm »

I want gun powder and steam power, then I would be in dwarf heaven forever.  I am pretty sure once dwarves obtain steam power and gunpowder they can space-travel.
Dwarves discover space travel by blowing themselves up. Humans do it for bragging rights. Goblins want to rape alien babies. Elves want to find something else to rant about.

Dwarf Fortress 40k

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 10:21:24 pm »

Blood for the Blood God!

Wait, that's already in there.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 10:31:43 pm »

Dwarf Fortress 40k
Blood for the Blood God!

Wait, that's already in there.
When I told my friend these elves eat the corpses of their fallen foes, he told me I should probably watch out for a certain chaos god of Painleasure showing up, now that you mention it...
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 11:17:38 pm »

To be honest I don't really -understand- what we would be losing. Maybe you appoint dwarf researchers to figure it out and if you want to keep living medieval you just never bother. I never said the enemy had to discover it.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 11:21:26 pm »

I am pretty sure once dwarves obtain steam power and gunpowder they can space-travel.

Dwarven Orion-drive.

Elves do it to find an alien civilization to rant to about them cutting down the local versions of trees.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:10 pm »

I am pretty sure once dwarves obtain steam power and gunpowder they can space-travel.
Elves do it to find an alien civilization to rant to about them cutting down the local versions of trees.

Only to find out the alien civilizization ARE the local trees, and what they're cutting down are actually the animals.
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 11:23:44 pm »

If it's included, there should be some serious drawbacks. Like really REALLY slow reload times, difficult-to-make weapons and ammo, and maybe a slight chance of a weak syndrome? And that's not forgetting the tons and tons of smoke you get when firing them.
But it should still have good points. Like cannonballs causing little clouds of dust when they hit the ground, making the enemy disoriented.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 11:25:05 pm »

If it's included, there should be some serious drawbacks. Like really REALLY slow reload times, difficult-to-make weapons and ammo, and maybe a slight chance of a weak syndrome? And that's not forgetting the tons and tons of smoke you get when firing them.
But it should still have good points. Like cannonballs causing little clouds of dust when they hit the ground, making the enemy disoriented.

Under good points, you forgot blunderbuesses backfiring.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 13, 2011, 12:07:30 am »

Or we could just have powder kegs. Toady wouldn't be so determined to balance issues, and we'd still be able to blow stuff up  :D

I know you may be thinking, "But we have booze bombs!" Well, the kegs could destroy 2-4 layers of walls on the same Z-level, and then destroy the flooring around it if there aren't walls under it. Bombs for the bomb god!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2011, 12:33:31 am »

I'm not willing to play with fire enough to make booze bombs, so that's a good idea. There should still be smoke though, on account of the whole !!BLOWING-UP!! bit.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2011, 01:07:46 am »

I'm not willing to play with fire enough to make booze bombs, so that's a good idea. There should still be smoke though, on account of the whole !!BLOWING-UP!! bit.
Yeah.

There should be levers to the powder kegs.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2011, 01:25:15 am »

Under good points, you forgot blunderbuesses backfiring.

I love that word. Blunderbuesses.... blunderbesusses... blunder bus, heh... I could do this all day!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2011, 02:54:39 am »

I don't see why they shouldn't be included. I remember Toady saying in a DF Talk that if you can prove something existed before the 1400s (the historical cut off point for DF) then it could be included.

The Chinese invented gunpowder in the 10th century, which meant explosive barrels. Then they invented the Fire Tube, a primitive flamethrower made from bamboo and a spear (although the Greeks had made a flamethrower before) and finally by the 12th century they had hand cannons.

Sure it's not European history, but I get the impression that Toady  isn't trying to make a cliched five square miles of rural Europe type world. Have hand cannons, flamethrowers and explosive barrels would work. For sieges, for demolition and traps, and for tunnel fighting when the enemy inevitably know how to tunnel.
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5