Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?  (Read 13372 times)

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?
« on: April 12, 2011, 03:45:23 pm »

It was kind of already known when crossbows were the next big thing. I just think gun powder as something only dwarves have discovered so far would seem to be rather in character. That's sort of how it worked in Arcanum for example - the explanation for why humans advanced so quickly into the industrial age (compared to in real life) was because dwarves provided inspiration. In that game , for example, the story is that dwarves didn't find use for a steam engine since they prefer to haul stone manually, but humans found a lot of uses for it. It would fit this game to at least have cannons. I think it would make sense that only dwarves would have gun powder since only dwarves have steel, clearly dwarves are tech-oriented (if individually silly).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 03:49:16 pm by psychologicalshock »

alcohol_dependent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 03:47:18 pm »

I've been thinking about this too. The mineral saltpeter is there so maybe Toady's thinking about it.

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 03:49:52 pm »

Pitchblende is there. Maybe he's thinking about making it possible to extract and process uranium and make dorfnukes.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 03:50:25 pm »

Yeah and I think it would give siege weapons more application than right now - a cannon loaded with grape shot would actually be a reasonable defense against a wave of goblins (And it would be awesome to read the reports).

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:54:15 pm »

Another thing is that in the future there's going to be enemies that can dig into your fortress right? The game could then still be balanced because even though you'd be able to quickly gather up a militia of dwarf musketeers you'd have to also defend on multiple fronts - not just a predictable trap hall.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:58:00 pm »

Yeah and I think it would give siege weapons more application than right now - a cannon loaded with grape shot would actually be a reasonable defense against a wave of goblins (And it would be awesome to read the reports).
We have siege weapons. And Toady is against guns - so no guns (except modding).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 04:03:32 pm »

Pitchblende is there. Maybe he's thinking about making it possible to extract and process uranium and make dorfnukes.
Urist McHauler cancels hauling-irradiated by nuke!
UristMcHauler cancels rest-mutating!
UristMcHauler has become a legendary mutant!
Urist McHauler has founded the X-Dwarves!

Stray Iguana cancels being eaten-irradiated by nuke!
Stray Igunaa has mutated!
The Forgotten Beast Iguanirra has come! A Giant Iguana, its close packed scales are gray and platelike ad it walks on two legs! Beware of its firey breath!
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 04:08:55 pm »

Maybe Toady and ThreeToe where inspired more by Tolkien than Arcanum. That's what I think of. More of a low medieval technology level.

Crossbows have been around since at least the 5th or 4th century BC. They were certainly in common use during the Roman Empire. According to Wikipedia's History of Cannon article, "The first documented battlefield use of gunpowder artillery took place on January 28, 1132, when Song General Han Shizhong used huochong to capture a city in Fujian." They weren't very common until the 1300s or so, which is also when the first hand-held firearms started to appear.

So crossbows were in use for a millennium and a half before gunpowder was in use at all.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 04:11:50 pm »

Maybe Toady and ThreeToe where inspired more by Tolkien than Arcanum. That's what I think of. More of a low medieval technology level.

Crossbows have been around since at least the 5th or 4th century BC. They were certainly in common use during the Roman Empire. According to Wikipedia's History of Cannon article, "The first documented battlefield use of gunpowder artillery took place on January 28, 1132, when Song General Han Shizhong used huochong to capture a city in Fujian." They weren't very common until the 1300s or so, which is also when the first hand-held firearms started to appear.

So crossbows were in use for a millennium and a half before gunpowder was in use at all.

Heh, Chinese words. They're always fun to read!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 04:16:54 pm »

Grape shot: the next best thing after large, serrated metal disks!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 04:19:10 pm »

Grape shot: the next best thing after large, serrated metal disks!

We all thought carp was going to be the deadliest animal but now it is no longer, so too, shall metal disks have thier day.

Bring on the Grape Shot.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 04:21:33 pm »

Heh, Chinese words. They're always fun to read!

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 04:25:28 pm »

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Beautiful.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 04:26:20 pm »

Gunpowder traps would be fun. Link an explosive charge to a lever, wait until something approaches, pull lever, goblins go boom.

Mister Always

• Bay Watcher
  • SQUARE-GO LIKE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »

Gunpowder traps would be fun. Link an explosive charge to a lever, wait until something approaches, pull lever, goblins go boom.

Better yet, make it pressure-plate activated, and have an option for landmine-style bombs. So they step on the pressure plate, triggering the explosive under it...and boom.

Of course, years after your fortress gets abandoned and subsequently reclaimed, some poor child will step on one while it's out playing in the fields.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Beautiful.

Hell yeah, I'm in two peoples' sigs now.
"""The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham" -Forumite" -Mister Always
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5