Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?  (Read 13375 times)

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the reasoning behind restricting gun powder?
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2011, 03:10:39 pm »

I think pipe sections filled with explisives and connected to pressure plates would be !fun!, but I'm not sure about muskets.

From what I remember Toady One said, he is not implementing anything that was invented after 1400, to keep the fantasy feel of DF, not that he is implementing whatever was availible before 1400. He also complained about people sending him links about stuff, that Romans, Mayans, and other ancient civilizations had. He said, guns and steampunk are not going to make it into the game.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2011, 03:44:29 pm »

I think pipe sections filled with explisives and connected to pressure plates would be !fun!, but I'm not sure about muskets.

From what I remember Toady One said, he is not implementing anything that was invented after 1400, to keep the fantasy feel of DF, not that he is implementing whatever was availible before 1400. He also complained about people sending him links about stuff, that Romans, Mayans, and other ancient civilizations had. He said, guns and steampunk are not going to make it into the game.

So hookers is a grey area?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2011, 04:32:33 pm »

I'm beginning to think we need a prostitution mod...

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2011, 04:38:07 pm »

I... just... fail to see, how you could possibly conclude that from what I wrote. (Could still, be irony, sarcasm, or some other alien concept, tough). I also fail to see the point of having them. The way I see it, hookers are a black area, even more so, than dwarfmanure, because: 
a) Dwarfs are monogamists.
b) The sexual act has no representation in game, hence the poliferation of the "spores theory".
c) One of forum guidelines is "Do not discuss sexually oriented material. [...]". (I read those after getting muted)

From what I've seen in the game, this forum, and heard in DF talks, sex won't make it into the game, period. The closest you can possibly get to having a 'hooker' in this game is an umarried female mayor with high consolation giving a male dwarf "He talked with friend lately".
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2011, 05:24:15 pm »

I... just... fail to see, how you could possibly conclude that from what I wrote. (Could still, be irony, sarcasm, or some other alien concept, tough). I also fail to see the point of having them. The way I see it, hookers are a black area, even more so, than dwarfmanure, because: 
a) Dwarfs are monogamists.
b) The sexual act has no representation in game, hence the poliferation of the "spores theory".
c) One of forum guidelines is "Do not discuss sexually oriented material. [...]". (I read those after getting muted)

From what I've seen in the game, this forum, and heard in DF talks, sex won't make it into the game, period. The closest you can possibly get to having a 'hooker' in this game is an umarried female mayor with high consolation giving a male dwarf "He talked with friend lately".

Joking maybe?

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2011, 05:26:51 pm »

I don't think it is so much about 'reasoning' per se as simply Toady's personal preferences.
Memento Mori

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2011, 05:27:40 pm »

I think gun powder will probably go into the game, just not any time soon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2011, 06:42:10 pm »

I don't see the problem if the weapons are inaccurate, prone to misfiring, and more likely to blow up in your face than fire, let alone hit something.

This. And they'd be inaccurate as hell. I mean, standard practice in smoothbore musket combat was to close your eyes before firing, to avoid burns from the firing charge, not to mention the fact that the only way to hit anything was for every soldier on each side to blaze away in volleys into massed infantry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Edosurist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2011, 07:50:35 pm »

My friend made a dwarven flamethrower. It was VERY dwarvenly. I still put it into my raws sometime. The one drawback was that the bullets would flame up everything, not to mention that fact that in his prototype, the metal ore he "invented" would burst into flame, killing the miner.
So now all we've got to do is to put a couple of grannies into the LHC and smash them against each other at relativistic speeds. Lather, rinse, repeat until we got results.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]