Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Capybaras "swimming" in a brook?  (Read 8671 times)

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Capybaras "swimming" in a brook?
« on: April 13, 2011, 04:40:48 pm »

I have 2 wild capybaras on my map and they're in the brook. No, not on the brook- like how everybody else walks across it- but in like in the 7/7 water brook tile. And they're not drowning... they're just hanging out.

I'm pretty sure they got there because I channeled a couple tiles upstream leaving ramps they probably wandered down then got swept downstream.

So three questions:
  • How does that happen?! I thought a "brook" tile was solid- like rock but with water flowing through it. Or is this fortifications with water flowing through- animals can get pushed through?
  • Don't animals drown in 7/7 water? Are capy's amphibious? What gives?
  • What's the best way to get rid of them? My hunters wont hunt them 'cause they're under water. New animals wont spawn because the capy's wont leave. The brook doesn't freeze so that's not gonna kill them.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Capybaras "swimming" in a brook?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:53:37 pm »

Capybara's are indeed amphibious, just as in real life. Giant swimming water rodents. :P

Can't explain why they're in the brook though.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:58:31 pm »

you could build a dam to force em out of the water

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 05:25:27 pm »

Damnit now they're breeding!

You are not invading my lands, underwater capys! This is war!

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 05:28:29 pm »

Damnit now they're breeding!

You are not invading my lands, underwater capys! This is war!

Sig worthy?

Yes, Sig worthy.

My first sig on this forum. :D
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

RopeMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 05:49:46 pm »

I'd bet that they managed to spawn in one of the 4 tile wide areas underneath the brook. I recommend surrounding the area with walls then filling it with magma.

Then reroute it to have a waterfall of capybara blood flowing through your base.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 05:52:58 pm »

I'd bet that they managed to spawn in one of the 4 tile wide areas underneath the brook. I recommend surrounding the area with walls then filling it with magma.

Then reroute it to have a waterfall of capybara blood flowing through your base.

What blood?
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 06:14:17 pm »

mod in explosive and drop em in the water?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 06:35:38 pm »

I am pretty sure that brook tiles are more akin to fortifications, in that they allow liquids to pass, while appearing impassible to pathing.  This would explain the situation in the OP, as there is a long standing bug where fortifications filled with 7/7 water are passable to submerged creaturse.  My guess is that the capybaras went for a swim in the channeled area, and wandered downstream through the buggily passable tiles.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 07:39:04 pm »

I think "buggily passable" is my new favorite descriptor.

I successfully killed off the baby and one of the adults just by placing marksdwarves next to the ramps into the brook. The remaining adult left shortly thereafter, likely saddened by the loss of his family... OR TO CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS!

The next beasts that spawned on the map? Capybaramen and Capybarawomen seeking revenge for their under-evolved brethren! Fortunately they stayed out of the pool. They're much easier to kill out in the open.

All in all, animals in the water are a pain in the butt- next I have to figure out how to lure the giant toad and cave croc into firing range so that my cave level will start spawning new animals.

elpizo

• Bay Watcher
  • DOWN WE GO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 09:24:26 pm »

you don't seem to understand that in dwarf fortress the answer to everything is magma

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 09:29:16 pm »

you don't seem to understand that in dwarf fortress the answer to everything is magma
And the answer to magma?
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:31:35 pm »

More magma.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 12:05:56 am »

This is a brook, taken from a random site.
[image]http://img.groundspeak.com/waymarking/display/39ec8a92-6d26-4121-ac09-0faf450b9aff.JPG[/image]

Dwarves "jump" thru the rocks, capybaras swim on the water cuz they don't like rocks, That's why you get rocks when you channel it. It was the easier way to make them in the game, or Toady could have made a river with "rocks" on it so you would need to make minibridges conecting them, what would look REALY strange, altough more like the brooks in real life

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 03:02:23 am »

If my cooks could make masterpiece magma roasts or my hunters could level up in "killing things with magma" skills, it would indeed be the answer... but I tend to make use of the beasties I kill so unfortunately turning the lakes to obsidian just isn't gonna work this time :-[

The other way to think of a brook is like a bucket full of pebbles- you can dump a lot of water into that bucket to fill the space between and things can rest on top without being submerged but there's no way a fish (or in this case large rodent) is going to swim through it. Brooks push a lot of water the majority of it is under the surface running in a channel of rock. That's why it doesn't make sense, in my mind, that an animal could swim around in it- more likely the capy would hang out on top where my marksdorfs could shoot it.
Pages: [1] 2