Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Player Rewards  (Read 11994 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Player Rewards
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2011, 08:41:06 pm »

Rewards can be organic too...

Succesfull player fort shoud influece world in way that rewards player in subsequent forts: For example by providing ability to import steel to their new forts or embark with high-quality items produced there and traded away to parent civ.

Imagine first fort where you embark with little more than "bare buts" because your civ is resources starved - just iron anvil and copper pickaxe (only two necesities to start fort) with some plump helmets and towercap logs. In this embark you build mining settlement and "unlock" some ores, rocks and metals. Over course of several forts, you build up your civ and gain ability to embark with variety of food, products, resources, tame animals, etc, etc...

This would be awesome.  It would require some way to abandon a fortress and leave it still functioning though.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2011, 08:44:15 pm »

I remember a while back I played a game where the achievements were hidden. It also contained a metric crapload of them to boot. At the end of the game the credits rolled and the various achievements you managed to earn were displayed.
If this were done the way many roguelikes did, that would be interesting. When your fortress finally crumbles to the end, it will just display flat out statistics. Like number of dwarves killed this way, that way, and the other way. Number of goblins killed, number of silk socks found, etc. Could at least be amusing to see what numbers you get even without actually having any goals along the way.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »

Agreed, the Nethack model of tracking ways in which you tied your hand behind your back (conducts) would be interesting to add to a potential endgame statistics list as well.

Arms Dealer for when you exported only weapons, Nudist Colony for when your fort produced no clothing, Stone Age for when you didn't smelt any metal or make any metal objects; things like that.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2011, 08:45:49 am »

I think everyone would be happier if they realized that it was very unlikely that achievements would be anything that frequent posters here hadn't done 3 years ago.

I like the tutorial achievements as a low key, on screen way to suggest tasks for new players.  Sure, you've played a few games, you know what is going on, but a new player doesn't have any idea what's possible, and frankly, losing because you've no idea what's going on isn't fun.

Think of it in terms of the new bee stuff.  Imagine a checklist that said
  Build hive
  Place hive
  Capture bees
  Split hive
  Harvest hive
  Press comb
  Create wax crafts

All of a sudden, you don't need the wiki, because you've got a list of basic steps, and in game recognition that you've finished them succesfully.  (as opposed to just thinking you had)

You're teaching players the new function, you're giving new players an idea of what is possible, and you're also giving them little wins to smooth out the curve towards the big wins.

None of this supersedes high level play, and you're just as justified making fun of someone bragging about it as you would be an adult bragging about his camping badge from weeblo's

It's the difference between showing someone how to use a hammer, and showing them how to build a house.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2011, 03:34:09 pm »

But it is called tutorial, not achievement.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2011, 03:51:26 pm »

But it is called tutorial, not achievement.

And that's why its good, because achievements suck and tutorials are good.
See! You learn something new every day :)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2011, 03:59:22 pm »

Arghh. I managed to read "I like the tutorial achievements as a low key" as "I like the achievements as a low key".
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2011, 06:10:17 pm »

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Repeat ad nausem. The last thing we need is that sort of corrupting, playerbase-destroying influence.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2011, 06:51:48 pm »

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. Repeat ad nausem. The last thing we need is that sort of corrupting, playerbase-destroying influence.

Did you really just comment on a 2 week old thread to say what a bad idea you thought it was?

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2011, 11:13:40 am »

Did you really just comment on a 2 week old thread to say what a bad idea you thought it was?
I know, that's kinda strange-necro-commenting...
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2011, 08:29:16 am »

i think achievments would perfectly suit an open sandbox game, because it drives you to try out new things. once you have done them you are not forced to do them again, also they are purely asthetical you are not forced to do them again.

for example
"I thought wood can swim - An elven Trader has drowned at your fort"
something most players do all the time, others do it once because they feel malicious or want to try it again, others wont do it ever, but noone is forced to do it, some want to try trap constructions to achieve it once maybe and so see a new aspect of the game.

edit: yes i necroed the thread, because i was just about to suggest achievments :p (so someone would have pointed me here anyway)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]