Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF not working  (Read 2954 times)

obsidian919

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF not working
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:23:17 pm »

So a few days ago I went to play DF, but it won't seem to work anymore. Specifically, it won't open anymore. I've tried everything, from using LNP, reinstalling DF and LNP respectively.  I don't use any mods or utilities (aside from some DFhack when I'm bothered to use it), either. I'm not sure what to do. Has anyone else had this issue?
Creating a dynasty of dwarven leadership and seeing their bravest sons grow up to claim glory far in excess of their humble beginnings as parasitic booze leeches.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: DF not working
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 10:04:18 pm »

Installing DF? Every time I've downloaded the game, it's come as a compressed archive (no installation required).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:04 am »

It won't open?  As in you double click the program and nothing happens?  I'd try redownloading it and extracting it to another folder then see if it runs from there.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

obsidian919

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:11:26 pm »

It won't open?  As in you double click the program and nothing happens?  I'd try redownloading it and extracting it to another folder then see if it runs from there.
I probably should have been more specific in my original post. I've already done that a few times. I redownloaded the file and extracted the folder to a different location. The game will not open from there either.  This is when I turned to the forums for help.
Creating a dynasty of dwarven leadership and seeing their bravest sons grow up to claim glory far in excess of their humble beginnings as parasitic booze leeches.

obsidian919

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:53:06 pm »

So after redownloading and re-extracting both DF and the LNP to a separate folder for a third time, DF still will not open. It will give me a security warning message asking if I want to run the program. After clicking yes, the game just won't open. I'm at a loss as to what is happening, since just a few days ago the game was working fine.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 01:01:14 am »

To be clear then, you're running it without LNP?  If not, try it that way.  Are you on Windows or Linux?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

obsidian919

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 01:43:47 am »

To be clear then, you're running it without LNP?  If not, try it that way.  Are you on Windows or Linux?

Yes, I'm trying to run it without LNP. I've got DF and LNP extracted to different folders separate from my other game data.  I'm running windows.

Man In Zero G

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 11:39:50 am »

So after redownloading and re-extracting both DF and the LNP to a separate folder for a third time, DF still will not open. It will give me a security warning message asking if I want to run the program. After clicking yes, the game just won't open. I'm at a loss as to what is happening, since just a few days ago the game was working fine.
Nothing else on your machine is refusing to run, right? Because, if you're getting a security warning when you try to run Dwarf Fortress.exe then you may have problems that have nothing to do with DF itself. Short of permissions being set ridiculously high, I've never seen that happen. So first thing, if I were you, is to just check to make sure an unrelated windows update or security software update hasn't screwed with your windows security settings and permissions. If you don't do it regularly already, give your system a malware/virus scan just to be sure. If all's ok and set properly, try running it in admin mode.
If it still does not work, you should verify that you've actually got everything extracted properly - i.e. nothing is missing from the folder. Could be a problem with your unpacker, corrupting data or just not pulling it all out of the .zip file. You should have:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you don't, something is not working with the extraction.
If that's all good - your machine is cursed, apply holy water and/or a sledgehammer. No, don't do that.
Quote from: Toady One
Their lack of eyes should stop them from crying.
Just watching dwarves make poor decisions repeatedly as I fix their little minds...
I haven't checked since I'm not doing bugs until after the release (well, I'm doing bugs, in the additive sense).