Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Disabling the tileset  (Read 1076 times)

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Disabling the tileset
« on: April 16, 2011, 02:40:19 pm »

So, I'm thinking about getting the Genesis mod again, but the newest versions come with tilesets already set up (One is called "Ironhand and the other one is "Phoebus" or something like that). How do I disable them and get back to my sweet, delicious ASCII?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Disabling the tileset
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

You can turn graphics off by going into your dwarf fortress folder/data/init/init.txt and finding the line [GRAPHICS:YES] and changing it to NO. Note that, due to lots of other stupid stuff that graphics sets require, many things will still look wrong, such as stone walls whose symbol is the lobster symbol and such, so it'll still be ugly in many areas instead of the normal sweet, delicious ASCII.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 03:52:40 pm »

So, there is no way to get back to my sweet, delicious ASCII without screwing everything up and having lobster walls?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:13:29 pm »

Shouldnt this be in the genesis mod thread, or at the very least the modding section?

Yes you can get your ascii back, if you are willing to go through your raws with a fine tooth comb and find every place where the mod changed things from the default tiles, while making sure to leave the mechanical changes in place... Have fun with that...  8)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

MetalGear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:16:46 pm »

??? You're kidding, right? I mean...fuck... It's funny, I often see people complaining about how they just can't look at ASCII, but I've been playing with it for so long that everything else looks just way too colorful and messy. I really wish there was a magical "can haz AsCII-lettirz graphix nao?" button.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 05:55:14 pm »

??? You're kidding, right? I mean...fuck... It's funny, I often see people complaining about how they just can't look at ASCII, but I've been playing with it for so long that everything else looks just way too colorful and messy. I really wish there was a magical "can haz AsCII-lettirz graphix nao?" button.
I agree wholeheartedly. It's one of the reasons why I find most/all major mods completely unusable; the creators keep making graphics-set versions but don't keep the ASCII versions updated, if they have one at all.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!