Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

New thread title: how to describe Oiledgod?

Homicidal, xenophobic, fanatical dwarves in a harsh wilderness.
- 0 (0%)
An experiment in population control
- 0 (0%)
The Real World: Dwarf Fortress - Haunted Jungle Edition
- 0 (0%)
Dwarven Explorers, desperate refugees, and demon-possessed migrants.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Uzolnom - "Oiledgod": Community Game/Peanut Gallery Game  (Read 26639 times)

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Uzolnom - "Oiledgod": Community Game/Peanut Gallery Game
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 03:24:57 pm »

Yeah doctor is a bit hard to train. But feel free to turn the armorer into my guy.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »

Journal of Bembul Scrapewires
23rd Malachite, 551

These newcomers is sure odd, but the boss's reaction seems even odder to me.  As soon as Kadol sighted them in the distance, he started givin' all sorts of strange orders - He's got me building another door, this one with a sturdy LOCK, he says, and a cabin, a leaning-platform he says, sep'rate from our main camp and all up on one lone support.  Meanwhile he goes and meets the new dwarves by the wagon.  I hear them talkin, and I start to wonder, too: what's wrong with these dwarves?

It was the big one, Sibrek - when her eyes met mine I knew.  Something was... off.  Those eyes haunted me all day, til I slept... and then, I dreamed.

I dreamed of a dwarven colony, deep under the mountains, where the dwarves were dressed in rags and thin and pale from depridation, while their masters, too-large dwarves with with eyes that burned like magma, used them as slaves.  But there were no chains, no whips... I saw their eyes glow and smoulder, and the others moved like marionettes to their will.  The eyes... they haunted me.  It was then that I woke in a cold sweat, and knew.  I had been sent a vision from our lord, Inod.  I had to tell Litast.

Journal of Litast Pleatsteel
2nd Galena, 551

The other night, Bembul woke me in a panic to tell me of some dream she had. Of course I wanted to dismiss it as peasant superstitions, but I had already seen too much strangeness from these newcomers, and Sibrek seemed to be the heart of it.  Perhaps, if we could break her hold on the others, those unfortunates might still be saved.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I called away Olon and Fath on some pretext of a meeting - gave them a good strong drink, the poor souls.  Meanwhile, as the daylight grew dim, Bembul and took up positions behind the lean-to under cover of darkness.

It seems Bembul, bless her heart, does not have the stomach to do what must be done. 

I whisper my consolations, and try to calm her enough to get her instructions on how to do this properly (I have no knowledge of carpentry!) when we are interrupted by a great crash and cry.

It seems, either overhearing us or simply having more insight than I gave her credit for, Kadol has taken matters into her own hands.  The dust cloud is enormous.

When it clears, it is plain that the demon-dwarf is no more, and her pet goat (no doubt some manner of familiar) with her.  The night's affairs have taken their toll on us - Bembul immediately heads for a strong drink, and I decide to take a walk among the beautiful flora to clear my head. 

Olon and Fath seem much clearer-headed almost immediately.  They tell me they remember their old names:

Since I have no desire to force these poor souls to continue in their slave-professions, I ask what they would like to do.  "ArKFallen" says he has always dreamed of being a doctor.

I'm sure he'll do wonderfully. Haika, on the other hand, plans to become a Mason.  We need this about like we need a spear to the face, with all the stone we have around.  But I am hardly about to tell the poor soul no.  We'll really need to work on finding some I guess.

When told about what happened to Sibrek, ArKFallen only shakes his head and says it's a pity about that support.

I look forward to unravelling the story of these dwarves and their diabolical overlords - I have assigned Zasid to research the matter.  He should be reporting to me on his findings within the next few months.  He is also doing some research on a method used by others to circumvent the problems posed by an Aquifer...  He understands the theory though none of us have put it in place.  If we are able to do this correctly, we should be able to make a 'plug' of earth to allow us to dig through the aquifer and into the stone below.  Kadol, meanwhile, has started drafting plans for a desalination plant.  The others are busy moving our shops and supplies into the burrow we have finally managed to dig.

And none too soon - Bembul claims she caught sight of a cougar lurking at the edges of our camp. 

------

Welcome to Oiledgod!

I'm trying to do a few more images from now on.  I'll also try to keep the updates a little more concise and move through events a little more quickly, but it seems like there's already a pretty rich situation, and plenty to write about that I don't want to miss.  It seems strange that I'm spending more time writing it down than I am actually playing the game, but maybe that's just how it goes?

More updates later!
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2011, 04:14:26 pm »

As usual I miss an important post right before I do my own update.

Should I swap the names?  I only made the armorer the doctor-to-be because of his short patience.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
  • DrHouse:cancels diagnose paicent; need vicodin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2011, 04:35:44 pm »

Nice story so far, Id also like to be dorf''ed, If possiable, a Doc, or if not, a hunter. :)
scratch that if you can, I'd like to be the record keeper.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 04:47:15 pm by Dr.House »
"Needs vicodin to get through the day"
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »

Hmm, wanted them named Granite, not Haika... XD But whatever. And yeah, writing more than playing usually is what happens in these games. At least for those that want to weave more of a story. It speeds up some as things get going I think.

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 04:45:13 pm »

Hmm, wanted them named Granite, not Haika... XD But whatever. And yeah, writing more than playing usually is what happens in these games. At least for those that want to weave more of a story. It speeds up some as things get going I think.
Yea i see what ya mean, in this game its more about the stories of epic Dwaveness that people hear then of the actually hear of the game, but, thats just my opinion. Syrupleaf, for example, or......Boatmurdered.....
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 04:56:58 pm »

Oh no.  I was afraid of this, but I had no idea it would begin so soon.

More are coming.  Mindslaves and their masters, no doubt. We will have to act fast....

-----

Real update as soon as I can.  For now:

We have "Taxtower", a Thresher/Swordsdwarf
"Fortuneplank", an Engraver
"Claspjaw" a Mason (Uh, so perhaps THAT's the one named Granite and we'll just forget Haika?) and speardwarf,
"Guildthroat" a High Master Beekeeper,
"Blockadetangles" a... novice glazer/leader? useless.
"Chancedbolt", a suturer/glassmaker/leatherworker (doctor house?)
and "Granitegreenness", a Milker.

Any claims?

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 05:00:41 pm »

Yea thats good, But, can you also turn on the Diagnose job, and name him Gregory? ???
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 05:38:05 pm »

Blockedtangles would probably be decent in the military unless he's easily tired because of the leader skill (the possibility he'll lead demonstrations). This is just conjecture from a bystander so feel free to disregard it.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 05:39:20 pm »

Also a little OC: The diary of Gergory "Chancedbolt" 1st Malachite
 Life here in the Mountainhome is beginning to bore me I a doctor, tasked o suture the wounds of the afflicted, to make the glass that adors the windows of the great chaple, and also..... make leather shoes.... FOR THE PEOPLE, have decided to leave here and goto  one of the dareing outposts in the untamed wides. I shall choose at random, and when done leve with only the clothing on my back, my doctors kit, and my cap.

5th Malachite; I have found the place I shall be leaveing for, a place called...... Oilegod. Ok, I chose this place because it sounded mostlikely for somethinf wierd to happen, and need my doctoring. I shall be leaveing soon, wish me luck!

15th Malachite; We are off! I with 6 others wankers ,  2 as gaurds. we will reach the outpost some time in Galena, if not, I am told, a week or 2 later, oh I can hear the people in need of my expert work, oh I wish i were there already.

21st Malachite; we were amushed, evil little gremlins that they are, the goblins. Thankfully we(the 2 with any training) fought them off, but not without ant wounds, but i was there and was able to offer aid, and there were no deaths, Taxtower shall be ok untill we reach the outpost.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:43:33 pm by Dr.House »
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

Dr.House

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »

27 Malachite; Nothing of interest today, we stoped by a river, got some water, moved on, area is seeming alot more menecing though, but it just might be me, Taxtower is doing fine.

30 Malachite; We see a fire in the distance, I was told, while looking over the wounded soilder, that this was the outpost, and we were about a week away, oh joy.

2nd Galena; Gods be damned, oilled or not, Claspjaw, the stupid bloody wanka , sat on my doctoring bag, and broke all of my suturering gear. GAH, oh well, I spose the people in my future home will have what i need.

13th Galena; WE have arrived! Though the people here did not seem to happy to see us, It must just be that they were not expecting a dwarf of my stature, my deeds must be renound by now so.......Also, Taxtower is well enough to walk again, so a job well done there.
Also I feel my work will be needed, nothing I've been told, j'st a felin', but it maybe the burt patch we crossed, the one with the burt dwarf in it, but who knows, but I know I can handle it. Till next time, I got to unpack, and find my room.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 06:48:15 pm by Dr.House »
"Hates to help others"
"Has Great Memory"

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 07:57:46 pm »

Journal of Litast Pleatsteel, Expedition Leader
4th Limestone, 551.

Zasid's theory distresses me greatly, but I fear he may be right. 

Ancient legends speak of a time when the mountainhomes were vast beyond believing, permeating the whole of the central mountain ranges of the great continent.  I had always dismissed such myths as mere dreams of lost glory, but the appearance of these strange dwarves may show there is more than a grain of truth.

The dwarves of old, the stories say, thrived in their mountain halls, ever expanding, ever growing.  But one day, the dwarves in the northernmost ranges delved too deep within the earth, unleashing a terrible evil into the world.  The legends say that the survivors were eventually able to seal the passages and lock the fell creatures away once more, but only after great losses.  According to these myths, it is the corrupting influence of these demons that drives dwarves to madness.  Even from deep below they can reach up to twist a dwarfs mind, to plunge him into melancholy or fill him with a berserk rage that he turns on his fellows!

Speaking of which, Kadol has been especially grumpy lately.  I order some proper furnishings made for her.  We've all been a bit put off to be stuck among these terrible vermin...  That's it!  The glimmer in the rats eyes! We can clearly see the influence of the demons among us!

I'll try to control my own temper as well - I've just learned her hunting dog, Meng, has been allowed to have his way with my dear pup!  The cad!  I suppose I will wait til Kadol has calmed down a bit to bring up the matter of a kennel.

And none too soon, as another wave has arrived.  Bembul, bless her, thought quickly and went out to greet them, with job assignments at the ready.  As they set about their work, I spoke with each of them privately, assessing their mental state, and their corruption.

Among them was a skilled Doctor by the name of Gregory.  I immediately promoted him to chief medical dwarf. His "diagnoses" are more like wild fantasies, so he's not ideal, but at least he knows how to sew a wound.  Between him and ArKFallen we might be able to keep an injured dwarf alive now.

The others who seem relatively normal include an artist with no other skills, a Thresher with some skill with a sword, and a Mason.

The other three all had the characteristic demonic gleam behind their eyes - at least to those who knew to look for it.  A glazer, a milker, and a high master beekeeper.  I knew those beekeeping skills were beyond the ken of mere mortals! These three were assigned to help with the completion of the plugging device Zasid designed from old records.

It worked! We now have a route through the aquifer!

... No.  No it can't be!

One by one they emerge from the wreckage.  Nary a scratch on any one of them!  Now there can be no doubt about their demonic nature.

We'll have to act quickly to contain this threat...  Iton help us all.

------

Glad that actually worked!  It's the first time I've used the plug method, and I wasn't sure I understood quite how to prep for it.  I've never actually done an aquifer embark successfully before, so I'll be pretty happy if I pull it off, and in a salt water region, no less!

I really want to keep the population low, at least at first.  Any ideas on how I can discourage immigration?

edits: proofreading, as always.  I suck at remembering dwarves names
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:25:29 pm by CatalystParadox »

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 08:14:09 pm »

ArKFallen, I thought you might like to know you apparently have a pet:

And I guess you're both eager for that drink to be brewed?

I've reassigned several dwarves to farming while trying to get other projects finished so we can have some actual STONE, but it seems to be Haika who is really making it happen.  He's also managing to be probably my most content dwarf right now, at "Quite Content".

The good Doctor Gregory House seems to be getting a little stir crazy with no patients, and I guess he decided to take inventory of our old stockpiles, topside.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »

Journal of ArKFallen Blockadephrases
2nd Limestone- It's been a month since my liberation from that fiend Sibrek, and honestly I couldn't be happier. It's been a pretty interesting one at that, what with Listat actually allowing me to be a surgeon, the migrants, and those lovable turkeys. But I still sometimes find my mind wandering back to Sibrek and the migrants don't help, especially that beekeeper...Guildthroat I think it was. But on a plus note I have a medical peer now, a Gregory Chancedbolt. He's got a bit of a headstart on me, being a Mountainhome Doctor and all, but I just know I'll get past him.

4th Limestone- YES! We went through the aquifer! At last! Kadol and Listat have been working on this for a while and I'm glad it paid off, though Kadol doesn't seem much happier for it. Something odd happened though, Listat ordered three of the new 'rivals to help and for some reason kept them there during the puncture. I'd hoped one of them would be a bit messed up (especially Guildthroat) so I could get some practice in, but funny thing is not one of them were harmed or even covered in dust! It was a cave-in, there was dust. Why aren't they covered in it! Something tastes funny and I don't mean my mug of ale. Huh? I here a noise, it sounds like gargling? It sounds like...-TURKEYS!
*The page tapers off in a mass of scribbles and wet feathers*
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 09:24:36 pm »

Granite might actually work for that engraver honestly, I suppose at this point, you could leave Haika in as a Farmer/Cook. Up to you really, depends on if you want me to have 2 dwarves. And if it fits with your story.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10