Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 35822 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 07:45:56 pm »

Yes, it's a subjective thing. You can, for example, find people who chug multi-million scoiville hot sauce with a straight face while others are overwhelmed by mild tobasco. There comes a point where Paralyzingly Scary just doesn't exist for some people.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 07:49:05 pm »

Ju-On is special to me for being the only one to do it on pure creepiness alone.  There was nothing especially psychologically challenging about that film, other than the fact that it strips you of everything normally held as psychological comfort.  It was just... so goddamn creepy... for a couple years afterwards I couldn't help but imagine that girl every time I saw a flight of stairs.  Every.  Single.  Time.  Nothing else has ever unsettled me in that way before, and I'd love to find another.
Okay, you've really sold the movie to me except...I've already seen the American version so I think that would lessen the impact of the original. This is all Sarah Michelle Gellar's fault.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 07:58:01 pm »

Okay, you've really sold the movie to me except...I've already seen the American version so I think that would lessen the impact of the original. This is all Sarah Michelle Gellar's fault.

Watching The Grudge was actually one step I took to combat the effect that Ju-On had on me.  It worked.  I laughed through most of it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 08:11:42 pm »

So are we finished posting links to stuff that isn't scary as a joke, like Rebecca Black?  Not funny.

Horror music:  Portal is terrifying, and their lyrics and imagery give Lovecraft a run for his money.

Horror games:  Amnesia is probably the scariest, not much else can top it.

Movies:  Eraserhead isn't scary, but it's extremely disconcerting.  I wanted very badly to like In the Mouth of Madness but I felt like I was watching one of those Goosebumps movies from the 90s.  The Thing is scary.
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2011, 08:13:54 pm »

It is surprising me this hasn't been said, but, call of Cthulhu anyone? I liked it myself.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2011, 08:15:57 pm »

It is surprising me this hasn't been said, but, call of Cthulhu anyone? I liked it myself.

The game?  I have wondered about it for a long time.  I really really wanted to buy it, but I didn't have the money when local stores were carrying it and it disappeared into obscurity really fast.

Other Games: 
Eternal Darkness (not really scary but had some impressive moments and mechanics)
Stalker series (being out at night or the underground labs, helps if you download a nice sound pack mod)

Other Movies:
Audition
The Skeleton Key (This one surprised me.  I was expecting standard american mediocreness and got a really neat story with a genuine horror ending.)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 08:23:41 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2011, 08:25:05 pm »

Yes the game! Was very good, I recommend it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »

Call of Cthulhu's okay.  It's very difficult though, and being killed over and over again in the same spot really dilutes the horror.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Shoes...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2011, 08:31:30 pm »

Yea, it was harsh some times. Also, the guy went insane from heights way too easy. Spending time looking at a wall to calm down isn't the best thing gameplay wise.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »

I don't like the way sanity and panic effects are kind of overdone in many horror games.  They cheapen the concept, really.  I understand they want to show off their game mechanics, but we should still be allowed to play characters with the will to hold themselves together better than a paperclip.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2011, 08:37:34 pm »

On that note, SuteF is a great indie horror game. Go give it a try!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2011, 08:40:30 pm »

On that note, SuteF is a great indie horror game. Go give it a try!

Oh I think I remember hearing some genius stuff about this.  Yes, I will definitely try it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2011, 09:20:34 pm »

I've been playing suteF.  Does it ever start to make sense?
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2011, 09:40:02 pm »

Oh right I played the first few chapters of that.  I actually kinda forget it was suppose to be a horror type game and just played it for the box puzzles.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2011, 09:50:38 pm »

I've been playing suteF.  Does it ever start to make sense?

No. In the end you manage to make some level of sense of it, but that is human error.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20