Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: The Horror Thread  (Read 35983 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: The Horror Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2011, 03:25:33 pm »

Quote from: Shortest
BOO!
Shoes...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2011, 03:27:13 pm »

Other than The Thing, John Carpenter remake, I've not seen a decent horror film in ages. I must admit, though, that I avoid horror generally as I'm bored with watching people getting butchered.

All this talk of a man locked in a room / hearing something at the door makes me think of I am Legend, the book by Richard Matheson. It managed to unnerve me but not for usual reasons. If you didn't like the film I'd suggest you read the book anyway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Despite it's many faults the first F.E.A.R game got plenty of jumps out of me. It wasn't really a conceptual fright but I liked how it played with my expectations. It was, admittedly, the first horror game I played in a long while and the gun that shot long rivets which pinned your enemies was too fun.

The remake of the first Resident Evil game for the GameCube managed to freak me out at times; Especially when I realised I should have burnt all those zombies through the game and saw each of them flash before my eyes.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 03:29:30 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2011, 06:21:54 pm »

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2011, 06:27:39 pm »

Sometimes, simple things can be creepy as well.

Quote from: The World's Shortest Horror Story
The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a knock upon the door.
I read a story that basically had that premise in the Thomas Disch collection Fun With Your New Head, it wasn't really scary but it was kinda creepy. A lot of the stories in that collection are like that. The best one is probably Come to Venus Melancholy which was kinda like if Philip K Dick had written the Jupiter Mission section of 2001.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 18, 2011, 06:36:19 pm »

Ocean House Hotel from VtM: Bloodlines.

Played it again earlier tonight. Even though I knew what was coming, it still scared me.
In the event you should play it again, try it with Auspex on for a while. No guarantees, but you might just see somthing interesting...

I had Auspex on quite a bit because my brightness settings are pretty low, but I didn't see much, except the cool way the chick's aura fades when she runs behind walls.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »

What, no Doctor Who?

"Blink" messed a lot of people up (but it's way overhyped, so maybe you shouldn't bother by now).  "Silence in the Library" was excellent.  "The Impossible Planet" really screwed with me, at least the first half of it.  A lot of Doctor Who is campy, but that just means that the honestly scary ones that come out of nowhere really nail you.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2011, 07:05:27 pm »

"The Impossible Planet" really screwed with me, at least the first half of it.
We must feed...
We must feed....
We must feed...
*Opening Plays*
...you, if you are hungry.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

hamburgerfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2011, 07:43:01 pm »

There is an even shorter one: The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a lock on the door.
The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a sock on the door.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2011, 05:21:44 am »

There is an even shorter one: The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a lock on the door.
The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a sock on the door.
The last man on Earth sat in a room. There was a roc on the door.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2011, 05:56:05 am »

What, no Doctor Who?

"Blink" messed a lot of people up (but it's way overhyped, so maybe you shouldn't bother by now).  "Silence in the Library" was excellent.  "The Impossible Planet" really screwed with me, at least the first half of it.  A lot of Doctor Who is campy, but that just means that the honestly scary ones that come out of nowhere really nail you.
Personally, I've found "Midnight" to be the scariest one.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 19, 2011, 07:13:18 am »

Here's a spooky little comic:

http://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html

I am sorry, but I can not be afraid of something where the big  ‘shocking’ ‘reveal’ says Dur dur dur.

Although the implications of how he survived months without food or water is pretty interesting.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 19, 2011, 08:00:26 am »

Here's a spooky little comic:

http://brasscockroach.com/h4ll0w33n2007/manga/Amigara-Full/Amigara.html

I am sorry, but I can not be afraid of something where the big  ‘shocking’ ‘reveal’ says Dur dur dur.

Although the implications of how he survived months without food or water is pretty interesting.

That was the noise of him sliding. At best I would say it was spooky.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:18 am »

I hear this a lot about it, but I'm living proof that YMMV on it. After the story broke my mind, I spent a lot of time trying (not) to imagine what kind of sound that was trying to represent. As a result, I was set on edge by any odd sounds for about a month.

Your second point was something I clung to as to why something like this could never be possible. I think that's part of what got to me - apart from that, there was nothing overtly supernatural about the process.

Also,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2011, 10:10:05 am »

Your second point was something I clung to as to why something like this could never be possible. I think that's part of what got to me - apart from that, there was nothing overtly supernatural about the process.

Huh. I did not even think of magicness. I just thought since, you know, there were thousands of inputs up only a couple of outputs. My mind went straight to cannibalism.

Think of the tunnels slowly growing nearer to eachother and squishing you together. What else would you be able to do?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 19, 2011, 10:17:49 am »

What, no Doctor Who?

Personally, I've found "Midnight" to be the scariest one.
I'm with Palazzo on that. Don't get me wrong, the others are scary and definately entertaining, but Midnight has a definate Lovecraftian feel to it. That we never really are given an explanation for what is going on probably helps that.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20