Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 [2176]

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 2328280 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #32625 on: April 27, 2022, 02:09:34 pm »

Nah, our city library isn't like that, like, the best I can hope for is poorly translated LotR books if my friend who works there is to be believed. And I'd used the damn thing for years when I was younger, didn't have much of a selection back then either.

Now the really bad part of this is that I've read trough the whole 700ish pages in two days, and I don't wanna order another one this month since I'm kinda overbudget this month on a number of things :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32626 on: April 29, 2022, 01:59:03 am »

The manga of Golden Kamuy just finished. What an UTTERLY FANTASTIC finale that was. Just from start to finish, the manga is super great, but the final arc just pushes it way over the top.

I'm just sad that it's over, it really does deserve all the love and attention it gets, and more.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32627 on: May 01, 2022, 05:49:46 am »

I tripped over a movie that I hadn't noticed before: Earwig and the Witch, and the only reason I watched it was because it's apparently a Ghibli film. Looking at it, you wouldn't be able to tell, it doesn't have the typical, handcrafted style of a Ghibli Film; but apparently it was made by Hayao Miyazaki's son: Goro Miyazaki.

It uses a CG style instead of a 2D Animated style, which I was willing to give a go, if only because I feel that the new Miyazaki obviously wants to set himself apart from his father.

Ultimately, I'd have to say that the movie just wasn't that good. I have to make a concerted effort to not look at their faces as the characters are talking, as the mouths don't match the words being spoken at all, and it's really freaky. A lot of the CG just doesn't lend itself very will to allowing the characters to express themselves. The movie also lacks the kind of grandiose and awesome worldbuilding that you might expect out of a Ghibli movie, with the majority of the movie taking place indoors.

The writing is very unnoteworthy, and honestly the story just doesn't go anywhere. After you're about 90 minutes in, where it feels like the movie might be picking up steam, it just ends unceremoniously. The characters don't have the kind of development that you'd expect out of Ghibli movie, and there just isn't any real climax, so it felt very unsatisfying at the end.

Then to rub it in, the credits sequence has what looks like concept art of the characters in the more traditional Ghibli-style, and it just looks quite a lot more enjoyable than what we got.

Better luck next time Goro.

MusicMagician

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Always there to Listen to your heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #32628 on: May 10, 2022, 01:35:08 am »

I wonder if you guys ever watch an anime that while still is by default slice-of-life type anime, a fair amount of it's appeal content are music.
まんまるお山に彩りを〜 (manmaru oyama ni irodori wo) - 丸山 彩
(Translation: "Always vibrant with shining color" - Maruyama Aya)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32629 on: May 10, 2022, 02:03:55 am »

I used to watch some cute girls doing cute stuff shows like K-on, Non Non Biyori and Hidamari Sketch, but recently the closest Iíve gotten is Cardcaptor Sakura. I donít think Tenchi Universe counts, even if they run around not doing much half of the show, either on earth or in space.

I havenít thought about the music of these shows much, other than the occasional Ēoh this is a good trackĒ, but I suppose it does carry more ĒquietĒ shows more than in would in ones with a higher tempo. Maybe, action and drama dilineated with bad music direction can also turn out really awkward.

Have you watched that youtuber Hazelís video on the Japanese countryside, by the way? It is a good one.

MusicMagician

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Always there to Listen to your heart
    • View Profile
« Reply #32630 on: May 11, 2022, 01:49:38 am »

That makes me cry now  :'(

I think if anything else I want to say about it, well, there is quite a lot of emotional stuff to go through there... even in the most light-hearted and simple works.

I'm never going to see anime the same way I used to view them ever again.
まんまるお山に彩りを〜 (manmaru oyama ni irodori wo) - 丸山 彩
(Translation: "Always vibrant with shining color" - Maruyama Aya)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32631 on: May 11, 2022, 04:07:33 am »

We constantly change, and we canít necessarily go back to the way things were. There is no getting away from that. While wistful, this is not a negative, it means we get to see beauty from all-new perspectives. As cheesy as that might sound. :P

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32632 on: May 11, 2022, 02:59:25 pm »

I wonder if you guys ever watch an anime that while still is by default slice-of-life type anime, a fair amount of it's appeal content are music.

Closest I got was probably Project A-ko, which is a slice of life for a girl attending school with her annoying friend C-ko. Also, the girl is hinted at being a Kryptonian (like superman) and her rival is a rich genius mecha inventor.
Pages: 1 ... 2174 2175 [2176]