Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 453861 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #5430 on: October 12, 2020, 09:52:41 am »

New Crippled Black Phoenix Album!

https://youtu.be/NSHkQICpeng
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: October 20, 2020, 10:21:57 pm »

Have some Brubeck and company.

e: occurred to me some people might somehow not know who dave brubeck is

anyway, they're one of the best known jazz pianists/composers in music history

they do pretty good work :V
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 10:25:06 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: October 29, 2020, 03:13:09 am »

Electric Wizard - Son of Nothing.   

I'm listening to the whole Come My Fanatics album, as usual. It's a great album for basically every situation, but it's especially cathartic.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: November 08, 2020, 07:21:38 am »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: November 08, 2020, 08:28:20 am »

I used to have a fascination with the Commodore 64 demoscene despite (still) knowing nothing of the technical details behind it, and I'm revisiting it for the hell of it.

Mahoney - Monophono (YouTube link for convenience, here's the link to the CSDb page for the .prg, SID file, and more details if you wish to emulate or run this on a real C64)

I'm showing this because a) it's a good song, and b) it's a technical marvel for a Commodore 64. Would you have believed me that it runs on a stock C64 if I didn't tell you so? Observe the lowest voice in the video. That is full 8-bit sample playback without relying on that trick where you very rapidly change the master volume up and down and somehow end up with 4-bit sample playback (if anyone with more knowledge would like to elaborate, you can). That only works with a 6581 SID chip, this works on both the 6581 and (unmodified) 8580 revisions of the SID chip.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2020, 08:36:36 am by methylatedspirit »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: November 10, 2020, 09:42:51 pm »

Ghastly -- Black Mamba. The gear shift/industrial machinery crash/whatever-that-very-distinct-sort-of-sound-is-called during the second strike (around 2:18, 2:20) is pure beauty to me.

Basher Toe -- Suboriginal. Pretty sure I've dropped this one before; don't care. Laugh with it.

And for something completely different, have some Leonard Cohen that's not Hallelujah.

Also Joe Lutcher's Ojai. Not sure I've posted that before. Probably, 'cause it's friggin' great, even if the history behind the composer is bloody weird (They're the guy that went on to denounce the music they made as the devil's music and convince Little Richie to give up secular performance for a while).
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: November 11, 2020, 08:40:52 pm »

Recently discovered this song by Paramore which is a really solid little track. So I decided to go looking for other songs by them, discovered this song isn't even a single and I don't like any of their other songs, think all their singles are boring trash.

You ever have that thing where you really like one song by a band and discover it's an outlier and you can't find any other songs by them you can tolerate or that are remotely similar?

Also, is it a thing where the songs that record companies want to release are the bland boring ones and the ones which are actually interesting get relegated to the backwaters of the album? I kind of think it might be.

And this song I like is on one of their really early albums, so I'm guessing that the record execs got hold of this band waaay early in the piece, and were able to ensure that any individuality was totally squeezed out and that only radio-friendly drony crap got released as singles. Any Alt band is doomed if they sign to a major label too soon, you gotta hold out on indie labels as long as possible before you sign to a mainstream label to make the money.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 08:43:37 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: November 11, 2020, 09:08:59 pm »

You ever have that thing where you really like one song by a band and discover it's an outlier and you can't find any other songs by them you can tolerate or that are remotely similar?
Sure. Recent on in my memory is Just Kill's Bipolar. They haven't released much besides it, but of the few they have Bipolar is one of the most delicious pieces of glitch hop I've yet to encounter and their other stuff is mediocre at best. They're far from the only one like that I've seen, but it's the most recent.

Sold (The Grundy County Auction Incident) might be the only thing I'm aware of I particularly like of John Michael Montgomery's performances, for another example. I don't think it's a particularly uncommon thing to run into, really.

E: Unrelated, have a hour and a half of Sonny Boy Williamson II, just in case you wanted some harmonica in your life.

E2: Also some Cab Calloway, 'cause everyone needs a little of that in their live.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 10:08:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: November 12, 2020, 09:44:29 pm »

Someone I was playing with is also NB, and this is one of the many tracks they shared.
(If you know me, you know how much I loved experiencing many tracks of music)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPpInGffxgM

I will treasure their playlist (blue heart).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: November 16, 2020, 05:55:50 pm »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: November 16, 2020, 06:57:41 pm »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: November 18, 2020, 06:05:35 pm »

Drag Racer from Ace Combat 7

It starts off fairly tame, just some light strumming, building up the atmosphere. Then, towards the end, it starts to get going, and just as it has you it ends. Makes more sense when you watch it with the cutscene it follows ingame, but still, hot damn does that last minute ramp nicely.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

grave worm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: November 18, 2020, 06:10:34 pm »

Leviathan, the great artifice, single and world-embracing for the first time in His-story, is decomposing.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #5443 on: November 18, 2020, 07:09:35 pm »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: November 18, 2020, 08:40:12 pm »

Oh my God, how sad and real this is, he was one of the greatest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AHCfZTRGiI
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 385