Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 453256 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #5145 on: July 15, 2019, 12:19:16 am »

Saw Stabbing Westward in concert tonight.  The most forgotten, underrated gem of a band from the 90's.  To this day some of the rawest, darkest, hardest hitting, most emotional music I've ever heard.  Definitely the angstiest. And they never put out a song that they didn't put their all into.  They're the only band that has never put out a single song I didn't like.  They broke up in 2001, and I never thought I'd get to see them live.

But totally unexpected... they hold a 20 year anniversary concert for their 3rd album just 10 minutes down the street from my house.

Only a few dozen people showed up.  And I think there were only a couple people there under 30.  It was sad to see how forgotten they are.  And the venue kinda sucked.

But they still totally killed the show.  The singer is 54 now, and still looked like he could be 20 years younger.  Can still hit all those vocals with the same intensity that he could in the studio 30 years ago.  They're also super nice and met with the *entire audience* after the show.

Still one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard
I love how the last line of the song completes the whole thing
I probably listened to this one hundreds of times in my late teens
This was my favorite song to play on my walkman as I walked through the halls my last couple years of high school
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: July 15, 2019, 11:44:33 am »

Courtesy of the MÖRK BORG Kickstarter campaign, Heimat Der Katastrophe.

YES

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5147 on: July 16, 2019, 03:17:10 am »

Saw Stabbing Westward in concert tonight.  The most forgotten, underrated gem of a band from the 90's.  To this day some of the rawest, darkest, hardest hitting, most emotional music I've ever heard.  Definitely the angstiest. And they never put out a song that they didn't put their all into.  They're the only band that has never put out a single song I didn't like.  They broke up in 2001, and I never thought I'd get to see them live.

But totally unexpected... they hold a 20 year anniversary concert for their 3rd album just 10 minutes down the street from my house.

Only a few dozen people showed up.  And I think there were only a couple people there under 30.  It was sad to see how forgotten they are.  And the venue kinda sucked.

But they still totally killed the show.  The singer is 54 now, and still looked like he could be 20 years younger.  Can still hit all those vocals with the same intensity that he could in the studio 30 years ago.  They're also super nice and met with the *entire audience* after the show.

Still one of the heaviest songs I've ever heard
I love how the last line of the song completes the whole thing
I probably listened to this one hundreds of times in my late teens
This was my favorite song to play on my walkman as I walked through the halls my last couple years of high school

They're still getting 300k monthly listeners on Spotify, apparently! Not completely forgotten. More popular than a lot of contemporary bands I listen to, anyway. :P

I've only listened to a couple of their songs, but I'm digging it. Thank you for sharing!

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: July 16, 2019, 09:10:46 pm »

A mellow bright experimenter,
Rozi Plain - 'Actually'
Klok the Kloker !

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: July 17, 2019, 04:56:07 pm »

I'd heard some of their songs in various playlists and loved them, but didn't link songs to artist all the time. Anyway, finally realised they were done by the same person and decided to look into them.

My God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB-3tFuQwqA
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5150 on: July 18, 2019, 12:23:13 am »

We've talked about Heilung before. Well, I'm talkin about 'em again! I started listening to music during my stretching to make it go a little faster in my mind since the whole routine takes about 20 minutes. I didn't want to listen to my regular workout music since I usually stretch before bed and don't need to get that amped up.

So lately I've been turning on Heilung. Was listening to Hamrer Heppyr.

Turns out, the lyrics are taken from a 9th century bloodverse meant to heal injuries. And lo if I didn't find that my knee hurt less today during my stretches than it has in months.....

Either way I love this shit. Puts me in a trance almost immediately. Dat drum. Doze vocals. And dat lady!
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: July 18, 2019, 01:59:25 am »

I'd heard some of their songs in various playlists and loved them, but didn't link songs to artist all the time. Anyway, finally realised they were done by the same person and decided to look into them.

My God.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB-3tFuQwqA
The... cycle continues.  Without end.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: August 04, 2019, 05:14:10 am »

Barely conscious from goon, but this is for Yoink!

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Greendale - Sun Green.
One chapter in maybe the best musical saga my dad ever did show me

Edit: and here's the actual devil :horns:
Oh, just saw this. Thanks dude!
IIRC my Neil Young kick was curtailed before long when I was distracted. Will give this a listen soon!

What I came here to contribute: Jebediah - Star Machine. One of many, many quality tracks from the greatest '90s alt-rock band to come out of Australia - hell, probably the world as a whole.

Whole album's good, though not their most popular by a considerable margin. My only real gripe is that the cup of tea pictured on the CD art has a fucking teabag in it, which is un-Australian and, quite frankly, barbaric.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: August 04, 2019, 09:09:51 am »

Agalloch - The Mantle

Some more atmospheric black metal, this time with a bit of a folky twist. Great stuff, especially on a rainy day.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: August 04, 2019, 06:01:14 pm »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: August 08, 2019, 11:52:49 pm »

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: August 09, 2019, 04:53:58 am »

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: August 09, 2019, 08:19:09 am »

4'33" by John cage
Y]
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: August 09, 2019, 04:03:36 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_o2zBxbT5k

Oof, that one hit the mark...
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: August 09, 2019, 06:37:05 pm »

Not entirely sure who iain mackenzie is, but stuff like this is why I love me some electroswing.

E:Well shit. Finally following up on finding the term "jump blues" a few months back. My immediate impression is that it's like modern country lyric inclination was combined with actually good music :V

Though that seems to be more the first song I hit. It's supposed to be more like... well blues had a lovechild with swing, which is apparently exactly as great as that sounds if you weren't dropped on your head as a child. Somewhere in the vague space between those two and rockabilly, now that I've jumped through a few more.

Seem to be going through some of the older stuff at the mo' -- this stuff but more modern sensibilities is probably gon' be nice, if it's not just been subsumed under electroswing or somethin'.  Any case, playlist with a buncha' mostly 1950s stuff found here. Also this pneumonia thing is pretty nice. just, uh, maybe discount what appears to be the bit about domestic abuse. Friggin' old music grumblegrumble. Playlist seems to have a lot of good stuff, though. Timmons's 'Got Nobody to Love' is pretty damn solid for somethin' out the 50s

E2: this shit is ambrosia
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:12:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 342 343 [344] 345 346 ... 385