Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 448981 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 12:59:46 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #5416 on: September 10, 2020, 05:49:26 pm »

What do we call this? Apecore? Electrohominid? Whatever it is, it's weirdly compelling.

Ohhhhh. So, folk music about nerd shit, or at least by nerds. That wasn't so hard, was it?!   
Thanks for finally clearing that up, guys. I was almost going to try to contribute by throwing out some folk recommendations, but the folk I listens to tends to be more about... uhhh, doing drugs, maintaining a nice garden, being wracked with loneliness and dying alone in a ditch. The lyrical themes are not so much "fantastic" as "craptastic".   

Yeah, though more specifically you tend to get four main types of filk:
1. Future-folk. The whole premise of this is that they're folk songs of the future, so they tend to have a lot of shared themes with traditional folk -- songs about the disconnected lives of long-haul sailors, sacrifice, hard lives, &c.
2. Space age folk. This is the stuff glorifying and memorializing the heroes, vessels, and grand tasks of the 20th century Space Age.
3. Fantasy nerd shit. This is pretty much always a song written about a fantasy novel or setting. Basically power metal without the metal in a lot of ways.
4. SCA/anarchist songs. AKA "75%+ of these were written by Leslie Fish". Mostly usual anarchist themes of slamming The Man and glorifying everyday working heroes, tongue-in-cheek humor, with an added edge of "man wouldn't it secretly be kinda cool if we got knocked back to pre-industrial times and all this SCA shit was practical in day-to-day life"?

There's also occasional oddballs like the song made out of Hymn to Breaking Strain that are counted as filk mostly because of who performed them and where they were performed.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: September 10, 2020, 06:54:08 pm »

Thanks for that great explanation, I have a hard time categorizing music.  I wasn't consciously aware of those 4 types until you laid them out!
I still mostly listen Leslie Fish stuff, but eventually the algorithm got me around to some Julia Ecklar who's also really good.  I should probably expand my musical tastes (yay, this thread!), but usually I just want to relax to something I already know by heart.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: September 10, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »

Thanks for that great explanation, I have a hard time categorizing music.  I wasn't consciously aware of those 4 types until you laid them out!
I still mostly listen Leslie Fish stuff, but eventually the algorithm got me around to some Julia Ecklar who's also really good.  I should probably expand my musical tastes (yay, this thread!), but usually I just want to relax to something I already know by heart.

It's easy to overlook if you're relying on the youtube recommendation algorithm. There's about ten billion filk songs about Mercedes Lackey's novels, for example, but you'd take months or years to get one recommended if you came in by way of an album like Carmen Miranda's Ghost or It's Sister Jenny's Turn to Throw the Bomb. Same deal with anyone even slightly less high-profile than Fish, really, folks like Bill Roper.

3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5419 on: September 11, 2020, 05:28:47 pm »

Giant

This is one of those rare songs that manages to kick my mood up several notches, regardless of my current mental state (only other that comes to mind atm is Not Giving In by Rudimental). Where the song itself is carrying an optimistic message, something empowering perhaps, but more than that, the music gets you pumped and going before a single verse is spoken.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5420 on: September 15, 2020, 03:24:30 pm »

Seven Lions - Calling You Home (Sick melodic dubstep song, oh my god the drop)
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: September 16, 2020, 02:41:59 am »

Well this turns out to be a successful way to get more people to watch your videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI7ktPB6toqucpkkCiolwLg

Craftsdwarf boi

• Bay Watcher
  • Member Of the UC Dwarven Rights Council
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: September 20, 2020, 02:13:49 am »

Never realized that elevator muzak sounded this good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1SBehJAn-w
DEATH THO THE THE IGNOBLE NOBLES
Come and amuse oneself the Game of Skirmishes and Transpiration!
...and Engine Heart!
"It was inevitable"----Urist Mcphilosopher
"Losing is !!FUN!!"-----Pretty much every forum member
"#Proletariatinsurrection"-----Every Non-noble dwarf when under rule by nobility

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5424 on: September 26, 2020, 08:18:39 pm »

I originally got into Camellia from his collabs with Nanahira, and am I ever glad I did. I've got mixed feelings about a lot of his solo work, but so much of this album goes so damn hard.

Well this turns out to be a successful way to get more people to watch your videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI7ktPB6toqucpkkCiolwLg
Jesus wept, that's an incredibly cynical and entirely accurate read on youtube viewership.

3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5425 on: September 30, 2020, 05:50:39 am »

Reading a book and it reminded me that flowers are pretty.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5426 on: October 03, 2020, 09:05:18 pm »

I was struggling to remember a band from my childhood.  I started by remembering them playing Electricity, but that turned out to be a cover of a 1980 song by Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark.  Nice music video of that, in the era's style of just recording the performers from dramatic angles.
(The wiki page lists two bands which covered it, but not the band I was looking for)

So I think for a while, and then I remember the lyrics to All Tomorrow's Parties!  A maudlin tune which... they also didn't create.  That's a Beck cover but looks like it was Velvet Underground.

So then I have to really clear my mind for a bit.  I remembered their music (when they weren't doing covers apparently) seemed to have an almost Christian salvation theme, though in a sorta transhumanist/Close Encounters way.  There was a song about seeking that... 
"...and you're still waiting for me."  I found it.  "I'm lost again my friend.  I know I'm not a saint.  You've known it all this time, but you're still waiting for me."

The band is Apoptygma Berzerk, "Norwegian Futurepop" apparently.  Jeez the CD I had, Welcome To Earth, was released in 2000...  Couldn't have been more than a year or two old when we got it.  Dad was way into trance back then, but I preferred stuff like this that was a bit more compact and hinted at a story.  Though nonvocal electronica was great coding music.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: October 08, 2020, 03:41:53 pm »

Man the 1980s was a horrible time, don't remind me.

EDIT: you know who you should kill if you get a time machine, not Hitler, but they guy who invented the Fairlight synthesizer.

Maybe you'll like this one. Or this.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 03:57:33 pm by Reelya »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5428 on: October 08, 2020, 04:48:43 pm »

There was some good music in the 80's, and it wasn't a horrible time for me.
The only 4 albums by Metallica worth listening to were from 1982-1988.
Sisters of Mercy (as you mentioned) albums in 85 and 87... I saw them in concert in the late 80's.
And many others...
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: October 09, 2020, 08:53:38 pm »

The band is Apoptygma Berzerk, "Norwegian Futurepop" apparently.  Jeez the CD I had, Welcome To Earth, was released in 2000...  Couldn't have been more than a year or two old when we got it.  Dad was way into trance back then, but I preferred stuff like this that was a bit more compact and hinted at a story.  Though nonvocal electronica was great coding music.
Huh, been a while since I seen that name (well, outside the music files that've been following me around for years). Listened to it a fair bit back in high school, if I'm not misremembering. Pretty sure I initially ran into them via AMVs, ha. Not super keen on them anymore (I still got one or two of their songs lingering in my old music junkpile), but it's still pretty listenable. Quick check and I think it was Non-stop Violence I remember from 'em. Quick check also shows that wow that indeed sounds like it was from decades go now :V

Any case, I'm still not quite sure exactly what the overarching genre shivelight highlights, but damn if I don't like whatever the hell it is (that particular one being Skope -- Beneath). Downtempo, global/tribal stuff, seems to be the most common shared designations.

... frankly the stuff's largely very, very obviously drug music, but it's still right to my tastes. Day to day work music's mostly been just pulling up that channel and letting it go.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 360 361 [362] 363 364 ... 385