Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 448941 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #5580 on: September 23, 2021, 10:00:35 pm »

Chinese Man - Indi Groove -- somewhere around the second minute (and again around 3 and half), it turns into some kind of meeting point between asian strings, southern fiddle, and fairly heavy beats.

Chinese Man (apparently a french trip-hop group, now that I actually check) has a decently large discography and they go just... all over the place in terms of style. Lots of rap/hiphop, but also a decent amount of off the wall fusion work. I'm not huge on everything they do, but the variety of it soothes my soul.

e: World needs more disney dubstep, or whatever the hell this is.

E2: more brooms
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 06:45:50 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: October 05, 2021, 09:56:23 am »

Never played Emperor: Battle for Dune. But holy shit, the House Ordos sound track almost makes me want to go through the effort: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOmX6HmGp0U
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: October 05, 2021, 11:09:06 am »

Never played Emperor: Battle for Dune.

Wait. I was completely unaware that Dune II had sequels. Good to learn this some 20 years after their release.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: October 05, 2021, 11:51:00 am »

Not one but two sequels. The guys who did Command & Conquer did the Dune II sequels, and it shows as the games steadily start to look more like C&C. The sequels get a graphical revamp and some QoL changes over Dune 2. I never played them because I spent so much time playing Dune 2 that the sequels just didn't work for me. It was the mid to late 90s when games were going through that sorta "high fidelity" phase with graphics and lots of FMV, and I dunno, it just never quite connected with me the way the old pixel art games did.

But apparently they're beloved by many.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 11:54:39 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: October 05, 2021, 12:35:11 pm »

Never liked C&C, but played tons of Dune II.

It was the mid to late 90s when games were going through that sorta "high fidelity" phase with graphics and lots of FMV, and I dunno, it just never quite connected with me the way the old pixel art games did.

Ugh, this was a horrid time and by the end of the 90s I'd lost my interest in computer games (stopped pretty much playing for over ten years). Especially the low-quality and badly acted videos were a huge turn-off (not to mention the lack of substance in games). In some ways this is still going on with emphasis being on graphics in games, though it doesn't seem as bad, but maybe I'm just finally getting used to it and accepting the fact that there's no going back.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: October 07, 2021, 10:06:48 pm »

https://aindulmedir.bandcamp.com/album/the-lunar-lexicon

Not a fan of metal/metal-related music in general, but dungeon synth is pretty good at capturing its otherness while doing away with most of the noise. What's left is a refreshingly contemplative ambience— right up my alley!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 10:08:21 pm by Superdorf »
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

haiduk

• Bay Watcher
  • exomancer
    • View Profile
    • HAIDUK
« Reply #5586 on: October 09, 2021, 11:31:56 am »

From the new Haiduk album Diabolica  [metal]

Haiduk – Swarm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XE9rWWZi7l0

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: October 09, 2021, 12:54:21 pm »

https://aindulmedir.bandcamp.com/album/the-lunar-lexicon

Not a fan of metal/metal-related music in general, but dungeon synth is pretty good at capturing its otherness while doing away with most of the noise. What's left is a refreshingly contemplative ambience— right up my alley!

Maybe a bit too good a sound quality for my dungeon synth tastes. It's a genre that needs that noisy, slightly distorted tape sound and some instruments (from a casio or a tracker) that are played off-beat, with melodies like ones from a bad old videogame tune, imho.

But anyway, your link sounded quite nice.  :)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: October 21, 2021, 04:10:38 pm »

Finally listened to... anything... Hazbin Hotel related (I've been watching Helluva' Boss and its stuff muted), and well. It's fairly nice? Fairly nice. Between it and this, part of me's kinda' jonsing for more, uh. More literal? Devil's music.

... just not metal junk, stuff just makes me sleepy these days.
Ask not!
Ask!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: October 21, 2021, 07:37:22 pm »

From the Underrated Albums channel, a French band... combining Post Rock, Doom Metal, Post Punk.

QOYA - Yōkai (Full Album 2021)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9kLFqnim8

"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: November 01, 2021, 06:21:36 pm »

Work music today was hours of big band jazz/swing stuff.

Highlights are Jef and Step, All the Cats Join In, and Anitra's Boogie, particularly the last two.
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: November 14, 2021, 12:32:31 am »

Some music from a friend- But trigger warning, rapid flashing lights!  At least for the beginning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PhGyXZb6yw
(and several minutes in- lots of flashes)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: November 15, 2021, 10:55:47 pm »

Y'know, I'm pretty sure I've heard more from Screamin' Jay Hawkins*, but some electro blues mix on youtube led me to a remix of Little Demon which led me to the original, and the conclusion I probably need to get more of this guy's music in my life :P

*Fake edit: Right, because he's the I Put A Spell On You guy, now that I check. That would do it.

actual e: It do hit me some times how much the childhood can influence tastes, tho'. Like, I was raised on the stateside rock n roll playing in the 90s, classical, blues/R&B, and, like... video game music, circa NES-PSX era. Add in a dash of filial duty to swing due to a great grandparent being a swing band drummer, and you got my formative years.

Nowadays, while I listen to basically everything, I can really see how the interplay between those led me to enjoying things like glitch hop, electroswing, sea shanties, and so on. The crunchy, complicated high energy stuff, mixed in really singable things, with the blues/r&b influence in particular drawing me towards remixes and covers. I can see how what I grew up on developed into finding the music I listen to most to be really comfy. It's a neat observation.

E2: Bounce Town - SoDown --  too damn fun
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:53:53 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: November 26, 2021, 10:59:03 pm »

More music from a good friend!
I found it an uplifting rebel yell, but- well, the title explains the premise:
She/Her/Hers - Never Pass

(As a close to the Turkey-Week of seeing lots of people)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 04:02:53 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 385