Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 385

Author Topic: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫  (Read 449033 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: ♪ The Great Music Thread ♫
« Reply #5595 on: December 07, 2021, 10:31:06 pm »

Not gon' lie, if they had been playing gospel like this (Travelin' Shoes by the Golden Gate Quartet, Thornato remix)* when folks were hauling me along to church, the course of my life might have ended up pretty different. May have ended up actually continuing to go, heh.

*Original version. That sorta' thing might have been enough, too, for that matter. One of the most cheerful sounding songs about god viciously murdering people I've heard in my life :P
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 10:33:13 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5597 on: December 10, 2021, 02:48:13 pm »

She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5598 on: December 18, 2021, 05:46:35 am »

In retrospect this is an olive branch to Christians.  Don't take it as me celebrating the season, baka.
All Will Be Well - Meg Barnhouse

Edit the next night: I strongly disagree with this narrative.  Even so, sometimes I need to hear it.  That's brains for ya.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 08:05:03 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5599 on: December 18, 2021, 11:51:14 pm »

She/they

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5600 on: December 21, 2021, 12:55:21 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHO6a2H-pqY
And here is the core of my music, and my excessive commas.

And so it goes, and so it goes.
And so will you soon, I suppose.
She/they

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5602 on: December 23, 2021, 01:02:02 am »

Indeed, and thank you very much!
She/they

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Booze is Life for Yoink

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5604 on: January 12, 2022, 11:51:55 am »

I'm on a bit of a progressive metal kick this season! I found The Mountain by Haken in December and now I've consumed half of their discography. Particular highlight on this album is The Cockroach King, which gets played on in later albums. Also, they have a line where they're 'toking on the roach of irony' which makes me giggle every time.

First of three new discoveries this month is Quiet World by Native Construct. It's got a bit of personality whiplash, but more or less personifies Misery, Harmony, Lunacy, and Sinister, so that's not exactly alarming? Try a waltz! Amputate yourself!

Thank You Scientist is full of bops, but I'm extra particular to their Maps of Non-existent Places album. Concrete Swan Dive just slaps when you want to rage a bit.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5605 on: January 15, 2022, 08:31:15 pm »

... so does anyone happen to know some acapella classical, except it's, like. Angry? Rather manic or something? Say someone's doing khachaturian's sabre dance, but instead of a bawoo for the bawoo parts it's more like death metal screaming and the leadup to it is like jojo atatatat. Basically they're doing classical music acapella but they're also kinda' beating the shit out of someone at the same time?

I was reminded sabre dance exists today and it really struck me something like that would be a pretty neat adaptation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5606 on: January 22, 2022, 04:04:28 pm »

A cacophony against serenity:
Boards of Canada: Davyan Cowboy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2zKARkpDW4

To be above the world and
drop
She/they

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #5607 on: January 31, 2022, 01:27:16 am »

Rounding out my listening for the month is more or less the rest of Haken's discography, of particular note albums Vector and Virus. The timing's a little awful on these- they've nothing whatsoever to do with the pandemic, though Virus came out in 2020; Virus reintroduces some themes that Vector aggregated, while also drawing inspiration from Cockroach King from their Mountain album.

I'm gonna jabber about Virus, since I'm much more fond of this album over its predecessor. It's, well, raw, seething, uniquely miserable. Vocals are consistently pleasant despite being metal after a fashion. Lyrics play on themes of "institutional abuse,physical and mentally abusive relationships, anxiety, depression and suicidal tendencies" to quote wikipedia, so it's kind of a doozy, and its coincidental thematic parallels to the ongoing pandemic welcomes those feelings in to an uncomfortable proximity. It's been really bad for my anxiety, but also I can't get it out of my head, soooo. Carousel is a bop, all ten and a half minutes of it, and the whole five-movement Messiah Complex builds and throws down in a way that gives me goosebumps.

You're not going to feel 'better' after listening to this one, though it's perhaps a mite cathartic if isolation's been tough. Not enough to listen to for emotional support, noo, it's an unhealthy affair. If you're resolute or otherwise indifferent about how your music makes you feel, though, Virus goes hard.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5608 on: February 01, 2022, 09:45:13 am »

Booze is Life for Yoink

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 02:53:58 am by MeimieFan88 »
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 [374] 375 376 ... 385