Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Puppy Linux Dwarf Fort-The Question of the Newbs  (Read 1573 times)

Urist McArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Puppy Linux Dwarf Fort-The Question of the Newbs
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

Hi, forum! Sorry if this is has already been asked or if it's just common sense, but I know nothing about this OS. I just downloaded 0.31.19 onto a computer with Puppy Linux, and.. It's not running. I have all of the files, but the program itself won't do anything when I click the icon. Right clicking it and going to "file df" has nothing. What exactly am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:36:40 pm by Urist McArmok »

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Puppy Linux Dwarf Fort-The Question of the Newbs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:40:26 pm »

Open the shortcut with Text Editor, copy and paste it into Terminal and hit Enter. It probably won't work any better than double-clicking did, but it should hopefully throw up an error message that gives some indication of why it won't work.
Also, there should be a file called errorlog.txt in the DF directory; its purpose is self-explanatory.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Urist McArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:51:56 pm »

Text editor? "Open as text?" I did that, and I'm about to check the errorlog. What is Terminal though?

Edit: Okay where is the errorlog text..? :S
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 09:05:27 pm by Urist McArmok »

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:06:42 pm »

Why do you have puppy linux on your computer?

My guess is its missing some SDL bits.

I think puppy has a shortcut on the desktop called "console". This is possibly a shortcut to the terminal app. If it is, you will be presented with a black box with a blinking cursor and some text. If its not, look through the menu for something called "terminal" or "xterm" or similar.

Navigate to the directory DF is in. use the command "cd" followed by the path to the file. I.e., if its in your home directory in a folder called DF, then you'd type in "cd ~/DF/" then hit enter. (no quotes)

Once you manage to get into the DF folder, try running DF. I think the linux DF has a df.sh file in its dir. if so, type in "./df.sh" and hit enter. It will try launching the program then spew out a buncha text which will tell you any errors given.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 11:35:58 pm »

Text editor? "Open as text?" I did that, and I'm about to check the errorlog. What is Terminal though?

Edit: Okay where is the errorlog text..? :S
Terminal is Linux-speak for the command prompt, and if errorlog.txt doesn't exist yet then something's blocking DF from even starting.

How are you finding Puppy Linux, by the way? I've heard good things about it but not tested it myself yet.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:39:00 pm »

You didn't ask me, but...

I used to use PL 2.x on an old laptop for a couple of years. It was fantastic. They changed the base for the newest releases, but I believe its still pretty decent. Minimum requirements got cranked up, sadly. If you have an older box, its still a good pick :)

Give Vector Lite a shot if you need a lightweight distro. it's fantastic.
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

ougadas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 03:44:55 am »

The last time I downloaded a linux release from the DF site, the shell script that launches the game was not marked as an executable file... but that was several releases ago.

I don't know anything about Puppy, but if you have a GUI file manager you should be able to set it in the right click properties.. if not you can always chmod +x filename.

Check and see if that is the problem.

It's been awhile though, I'm on arch now and we have DF in the user repo.

GrayFoxUA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 06:42:56 am »

try getting Wine and downloading the Windows version

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 07:44:40 am »

Ironically, when I ran DF on linux, that's what got me the best framerate. Although that was on Ubuntu, I don't know about Puppy.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:13 am »

Heh, I have ubuntu on my lifebook and I run DF in wine. It /does/ seem to run smoother for some odd reason.

Urist McArmok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 02:34:48 am »

Hey sorry I haven't been able to reply. Life insisted on getting between me and Toady's masterpiece.

I'm taking a look at Wine right now. Thanks for the advice, now to hope it works. :)