Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I've started a tiny project  (Read 7471 times)

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I've started a tiny project
« on: April 20, 2011, 12:25:23 am »

Firstly, this all came about as an idea to send my super soldier out to meet the invasion without chancing the goblins from getting through to the door (in case some asshole cat stood in the doorway) since my air-lock entrance was partly broken by a troll trashing on of the doors...having navigated about 12 traps in a row. Originally, I planned it to only shoot dogs/cats as a distration so my super soldier could use the front door easily (I had walled in behind the door, lol).

While officially, it's just a dog launcher, it can be used to also fire random animals or soldiers without having to risk a siege getting into your base. Basically, it's a bridge-a-pult, only it's built two z-levels high (so I can launch over my walls). It will have a loading bay another z-level above it for (p)itting animals and human/elven guests.

After this siege, I intend to also make an entrance bridge-a-pult, and create a burrow scenario that forces people stuck on the outside to stand on the bridge so I can fire them back in "safely".

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
Re: I've started a tiny project
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:29:54 pm »

That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 07:14:05 pm »

After this siege, I intend to also make an entrance bridge-a-pult, and create a burrow scenario that forces people stuck on the outside to stand on the bridge so I can fire them back in "safely".

Jesus. That's amazingly dwarfy and awesome right there. If you ever implement this idea, you might want to cover the landing pad/area with some type of fowl, to form a protective cushion for your dwarfs as they land. Else Urist McLegendary/Friendly could die a horrible, painful death, though none the less awesome.

Just a thought.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:18:17 pm »

I recently thought of a way to make it even more of a booby-trapped entrance.

Do you think it would work if I had both bridges aimed at each other on opposing sides of the wall, each sitting over upright spear traps? Then, if for some reason I launch enemies, I can do so after lifting the other bridge...landing them directly in the middle of a spike-field.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 09:46:47 pm »

I believe upright spear traps are considered buildings and you can't build buildings on/under bridges or bridges on buildings. Though you could make something like an atom crusher, where you fling hem into another opposing bridge-wall thereby crushing them...with two bridges.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 09:41:48 am »

upright spikes don't work that way; they only cause damage when they are activated by an external trigger

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:02:04 am »

I thought I could do this so long as I build the spikes first. Kind of like how you can't channel under a bridge after it's built, but can have a channel underneath it. Now I really want to try this addition.

Also, I heard that you can pit someone on top of spikes which would make the fall a trigger in itself. So long as my spikes are at least 2 levels below the originating fall level, they should cause damage if living creature were to land on it.

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:18:29 am »

Sigged.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

Roflcopter5000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 01:09:38 pm »

Anyone know if water mitigates fall damage?

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 06:08:15 pm »

I've seen some !!Science!! on this: It has a softening effect, dwarves were more likely to survive a deep drop into some water.

... Sorry, can't remember more.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 07:03:26 pm »

Do you think it would work if I had both bridges aimed at each other on opposing sides of the wall

Now you're giving me a stupid idea ! Does someone know how much tiles on average is an invader thrown when you pull up a bridge ?

So that way you can put another bridge on the landing area, and play dwarven ping pong !

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 07:58:24 pm »

Do you think it would work if I had both bridges aimed at each other on opposing sides of the wall

Now you're giving me a stupid idea ! Does someone know how much tiles on average is an invader thrown when you pull up a bridge ?

So that way you can put another bridge on the landing area, and play dwarven ping pong !
I was informed that it could be between 3 and 11 squares. I'm still building my bridges (I don't turn invasions off--it's slow-going), so I don't' know yet.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 06:11:27 am by dirty foot »

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2011, 05:53:08 am »

I remember a !!science!! thread which concluded that falls through water-filled Z-levels did less damage than an equivalent number of open air, but there was no cushioning effect observed; Basically, water doesn't soften the blow, but it doesn't build up potential injury as quickly as air.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2011, 06:18:42 am »

Other than injurious drowning effects, I would imagine.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 06:38:47 am »

upright spikes don't work that way; they only cause damage when they are activated by an external trigger

Actually, if something falls onto an upright spear or spike that is "active", as in poking out of the ground, it does extra damage, as long as the drop was long enough.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o
Pages: [1] 2