Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why did my Sheriff murder someone? Also, stuck Dwarf.  (Read 3226 times)

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
Why did my Sheriff murder someone? Also, stuck Dwarf.
« on: April 20, 2011, 08:14:06 am »

Okay, I can't understand why this happened.

My sheriff is also part of a military squad assigned to actively train. He suddenly stops training and runs across my fortress, changes a few levels then goes to my master stone craftsman who is working dutifully in his shop, making masterpiece after masterpiece and just guts him where he stands then just walks off. WTF? I checked him and he's in good spirits, most everyone is except a few of my recruits because of the training. But they are still fairly up there..

Also, is there an editor of some type that will let me edit the health status of my Dwarves, or move them? I suddenly have a Fisherman stuck on top of one of my constructed walls and I have no idea how she got there. There has never been an accessible way up there. I make periodic backups of my save games in case of crashes or glitches like this, and she dies from thirst before my people remove the constructions out from under her, bringing her to ground level.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why did my Sheriff murder someone? Also, stuck Dwarf.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 08:25:58 am »

Okay, I can't understand why this happened.

My sheriff is also part of a military squad assigned to actively train. He suddenly stops training and runs across my fortress, changes a few levels then goes to my master stone craftsman who is working dutifully in his shop, making masterpiece after masterpiece and just guts him where he stands then just walks off. WTF? I checked him and he's in good spirits, most everyone is except a few of my recruits because of the training. But they are still fairly up there..
Sounds like Justice.

Did you fail a mandate imposed by a noble? Noble mandates being ignored is a crime, and a random individual with that job will be assigned as the gulty party. (I'm not 100% sure if it looks for dwarves with the labor, or how it makes the decision.) Criminals are placed in jails, if you have one, or beaten with weapons if not. Note that if these weapons are effective (like swords, axes and such) then the justice-administering dwarf can cause Fun for your criminal.

Solutions (in varying degree):
1. Magmafy nobles on sight to prevent mandates from ever reaching the level above unconscious thought.
2. Do not appoint justice dwarves - note that crimes are backlogged, and appointing one later can result in multiple consecutive beatings if you forego one and install it later.
3. Give the dwarf responsible for justice an ineffective weapon, like an adamantine hammer, or (in a pinch) a training sword. Do not allow them to equip something else. Make sure they have low skill with this weapon, and prohibit them from using an effective skill, because these weapons can still kill in the hands of skilled dwarves.
4. Alternatively, meet all mandates.

Damien White

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 08:28:25 am »

Or simply use a restraint for justice, so your Craftsdwarf wont be killed.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:38:52 am »

But then they'd starve to death, because dwarves won't give them food/booze. Or has that been fixed?

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:07:47 am »

Use chains instead of cages, and put a one tile food stockpile and a one tile drink stockpile next to the chain.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 10:39:35 am »

Use chains instead of cages, and put a one tile food stockpile and a one tile drink stockpile next to the chain.
One-tile drink stockpiles don't work, since once the barrel goes emtpy it will never be refilled (since it's assigned to the stockpile and thus not available for brewing) - it must be at least 2 tiles.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 10:57:56 am »

Or a hole/pool with water dumped in it? The dwarf won't be happy, for sure, but he'll live. (A well if you do luxury prisons)

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:56:20 am »

One-tile drink stockpiles don't work, since once the barrel goes emtpy it will never be refilled (since it's assigned to the stockpile and thus not available for brewing) - it must be at least 2 tiles.

Can't you just set the stockpile not to use barrels?

Also, your Sheriff didn't murder anyone. The term here is punish, or execute.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 12:00:57 pm »

There's a bug in the current version that teleports dwarves and animals on top of walls.

You could try adding [NOEAT] and [NODRINK] to your dwarves and see what happens to the Fisherman, but I would just let it die; Fishing isn't that awesome a skill, and it becomes totally useless eventually when your fortress gets overfished.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 12:06:26 pm »

Runesmith will help you get the wall-sitter down.  You can set a Dwarf's x, y, and z components.  Moving it a few units to either direction on the x axis should do the trick.  Just be careful to set the Z-axis correctly or they'll fall down.  Dwarves don't fall too gracefully.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 12:13:39 pm »

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I reloaded and watched more closely. It was for failing a mandate that was for materials I don't even have access to, so that's pretty lame. Seems a bit silly to KILL one of the best craftsman for the fortress who alone is responsible for such a large mount of trade good value. Maybe rough them up a little, but killing them?

I guess I'll make my sheriff someone with no weapons and low strength. That seems completely out of the spirit of trying to play the game "realistic" though. But killing someone for an impossible mandate is just unacceptable.

Any mods which change how mandates are done? Either removing them all together or making them choose ones that are at least possible?

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:15:21 pm »

Thanks for the help. Yeah, I reloaded and watched more closely. It was for failing a mandate that was for materials I don't even have access to, so that's pretty lame. Seems a bit silly to KILL one of the best craftsman for the fortress who alone is responsible for such a large mount of trade good value. Maybe rough them up a little, but killing them?

I guess I'll make my sheriff someone with no weapons and low strength. That seems completely out of the spirit of trying to play the game "realistic" though. But killing someone for an impossible mandate is just unacceptable.

Any mods which change how mandates are done? Either removing them all together or making them choose ones that are at least possible? Or is it something I can change myself by editing a file somewhere?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 12:22:48 pm »

They don't try to execute criminals, they just administer beatings as a punishment. Beatings with sharp weapons that often pierce vital organs and cause death. In other words, it's just another manner of dwarven stupidity.

Any mods which change how mandates are done? Either removing them all together or making them choose ones that are at least possible?
You probably could mod out mandates altogether. The noble position definition raws (in entity_default) have tags that define how many mandates a noble can make at one time, so if you removed those or set them to 0 for every noble, no mandates should occur. Maybe compensate by increasing the number of demands? Demands cause unhappy thoughts in the noble, but not justice.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2011, 01:45:06 pm »

If you give the sheriff a crap weapon like a wooden sword most fatal injuries will be to the head. If you assign a uniform with a helmet to everyone it will vastly reduce fatalities.
Memento Mori

dagger

• Bay Watcher
  • Sniffin' glue
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

Or just don't ever appoint a Sheriff....
Pages: [1] 2