Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)  (Read 18270 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: X: Rebirth(a.k.a Egosoft's TNBT)
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 12:52:55 pm »

So essentially X3 IS the end of the old trilogy, much in the same way as Nemesis was the last Star Trek movie. They're just doing a reboot of the franchise.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 01:20:17 pm »

The trailer says something about a supernova changing everything. It could be some sort of 1000s of years after TC sort of thing.
Continued quote from the egosoft announcement article/site.
So in 2007 we decided we need to cut off that legacy and do a fresh start.
"We had lots of great ideas how we could achieve many of the things that the X Universe stands for but in a much more elegant and designed fashion."
So we did. We threw away the cosy comfortable luxury of having a platform to build on and started with NOTHING, all for the price of doing things right :)

Now we're in 2011. Four years (again) of development of TNBT (the next big thing) as you guys knew it. The closer we came to the release of the game, the more we realised that the spirit of this new game, the ideas that drive the design still share a lot with the X series of the past: TRADE, FIGHT, BUILD, THINK are still of course all true. Freedom to do what you want in a living and breathing universe... CHECK! That's what also X Rebirth will stand for.

So we decided that despite all these cool new gameplay ideas and designs, this new game will play in our well-established universe. But with a twist... Many twists actually. ;-)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 01:44:36 pm »

The trailer's sadly at the same intellectual level of the Friends' opening song.

X:
The supernova changed everything forever
Old powers and alliances fell
but the spirit of what was remains with those who survived
those with the strength to revive what once was
----
If the spirit of what was remains, then not everything was changed... If they're reviving what once was then the change wasn't forever...

Dude forgot what he said 2 seconds ago.

For comparison; Friends' intro music:
So no one told you that it was gonna be this way
You're still in bad at 10 and work begins at 8
You burned your breakfast, so far things are going great
Your mama told you there would be days like these

*blankstare*

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 02:28:16 pm »

Stop your nitpicking, Soulwynd. Consider Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander - everything was changed between the two games, but the spirit of one remains in the other. "Spiritual Successor" and all that. X:R is probably meant to be the same way for the X universe, just about everything will change (well, short of the universe itself, I guess - still the Boron morons and paranoid Paranids et al), but the idea of the game - a wide open universe with plenty to do - will remain.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 03:08:10 pm »

I'm just hoping they bring it more in line with Reunion instead of TC... as in the plot there but you don't have to ever be involved in it. (Infact there are game starts with it disabled) Instead of TCs plot system that shoves several plots in your face and rewards you heavily for them. (The mission system is fine though)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2011, 04:44:17 pm »

Stop your nitpicking, Soulwynd. Consider Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander - everything was changed between the two games, but the spirit of one remains in the other. "Spiritual Successor" and all that. X:R is probably meant to be the same way for the X universe, just about everything will change (well, short of the universe itself, I guess - still the Boron morons and paranoid Paranids et al), but the idea of the game - a wide open universe with plenty to do - will remain.
I'm not talking about the game at all, mate. I'm talking about the fail in rhetoric from whoever wrote that trailer. If stuff haven't changed entirely and clearly not forever, don't open your trailer with 'everything has changed forever'.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 05:24:29 am »

If stuff haven't changed entirely and clearly not forever, don't open your trailer with 'everything has changed forever'.

I guess "a lot of things have changed" is less dramatic.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 08:22:42 am »

If stuff haven't changed entirely and clearly not forever, don't open your trailer with 'everything has changed forever'.

I guess "a lot of things have changed" is less dramatic.
"Space.... Space never changes.
But everything has changed
And it was forever
But now it's not forever
Because we're changing it
Back to what it was
Back to when it never changed
Because never isn't like forever
Like it's said in the dictionary
But don't mind me
I'm high on stardust."

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 09:31:16 am »

Egosoft writers aren't known for internal consistency. "Your father is missing and might be in great danger! Only you can save him! But first spend a few months or years building up your financial imperium."

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 08:11:37 pm »

None of you probably know this, but X2 was the very first space-based game I ever got for myself.  I guess you could say I've been in love with the series sense the beginning.

But even so, there are a few things they could change.  THe GUI, for one, has always been a complex mess that left me going through the keybindings over and over again to find everything in an orderly manner.  Rather frustrating, sense when I imagine the holographic projector screens in a capital class ship, I want ot be able to store boxes and icons in different places, keeping a bunch of information ready at my fingertips for when I need it.  Just my thoughts.

The rest, well... I couldn't complain about the graphics, no matter how much I tried, and the modding community has kept thing alive long after each game has been released.

Just my thoughts, though.  I'm still waiting for more information about X:R before I make any sort of saying that I'm going ot hate it or whatnot.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2011, 08:44:00 pm »

None of you probably know this, but X2 was the very first space-based game I ever got for myself.  I guess you could say I've been in love with the series sense the beginning.

But even so, there are a few things they could change.  THe GUI, for one, has always been a complex mess that left me going through the keybindings over and over again to find everything in an orderly manner.  Rather frustrating, sense when I imagine the holographic projector screens in a capital class ship, I want ot be able to store boxes and icons in different places, keeping a bunch of information ready at my fingertips for when I need it.  Just my thoughts.

The rest, well... I couldn't complain about the graphics, no matter how much I tried, and the modding community has kept thing alive long after each game has been released.

Just my thoughts, though.  I'm still waiting for more information about X:R before I make any sort of saying that I'm going ot hate it or whatnot.  8)
One of the things I love most about Egosoft is how much they embrace the modders - straight up hiring many of them and including popular mods in all the patches. Lets hope we see more of that with this project!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2011, 09:10:06 pm »

• It gets personal: Character-driven UI and a living and breathing universe
  • It gets fast: Fun and fast travel with new transportation systems
  • It gets big: The most detailed X universe ever
  • Endless room for exploration
  • Easy to learn - hard to master
  • Gameplay, controls and UI are redesigned from scratch

Exactly what every X game before it claimed to do?

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »

None of you probably know this, but X2 was the very first space-based game I ever got for myself.

Oh no, Viken, we know. We ALL know. As you probably don't know, we all pay attention to your every decision, action, emotional response pattern, and algebraic conscious thought rhyme as we SHOULD be.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 02:40:38 am »

I'm happy someone in the world cares that much for me, Flare.  For a while there I was just thinking that my thoughts were totally unread and my every feeling, design, action, and emotion were totally based on my own concious, and unconcious thought. Thanks for that.  :P
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 04:09:06 am »

I'd bet my left sock on it that this supernova that 'changed everything' simply caused those warp gate thingies from the previous games to collapse.  Destroyed alliances, a new transport system and a new enemy would all fit this scenario perfectly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6