Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)  (Read 17046 times)

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (0.47.04 Edition!)
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2020, 04:32:13 pm »

Steam Community Update 15 June 2020: "Dwarf Fortress First Look Gameplay & Commentary ⚒️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2378411445035127532

Full Text:

Dwarf Fortress First Look Gameplay & Commentary ⚒️
Heya!

A bit of a mini-interruption from the regular updates you've been getting from Tarn (don't worry, they're still happening), but as part of the Guerrilla Collective showcase on June 13, we revealed a first look at the work-in-progress gameplay of the Dwarf Fortress Steam Version!

Watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp7DEUzWOfo&feature=youtu.be

Note: Gameplay UI is in progress, and is not indicative of the final look.

The gameplay video includes:

Developer commentary from co-creator, Tarn Adams
    Real time footage of a world map being generated and a first embark
    New graphics including workshops, bodies of water, dwarves, and trees

Hope you enjoy. We're excited! :)

Cheers,
Victoria

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2020, 11:28:57 am »

Steam Community Update 18 June 2020: "Serrated discs jammed by goblin bits ⚔️"

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/2453847373783055559

Full Text:

Serrated discs jammed by goblin bits ⚔️
Hello!

Workerly progress on items and other art the last few week. It's an eclectic mix, as in the first image here:

Glass block floors, wooden floors, and dwarves, of course, like metal floors. Some of their favorite weapons are here as well, and shields, and trap components. You can use an enormous corkscrew to make a screwpump to move liquids around the fortress, but you can also place one in a weapon trap.

And why not add a giant axeblade, a serrated disc and various spikes? Hmm... dwarves have to clean them when they are jammed up with goblin bits, that's one reason, but a resilient dwarf can handle that job just fine.

Here are swords made of various materials being shown off by the proud Debug Creature that arranged them on the arena floor.

And more weapons and tools, along with a few reasons why you might want your dwarves to keep weapons around. These critters can all be found underground.

On the left we have a naked mole dog and a molemarian. The naked mole dog is like the real world naked molerat, but it is bigger, hence dog. The molemarian... is like a centaur, but instead of placing a human upper torso on a horse body, you place a moledoggy human upper torso on a naked mole dog, and then replace the head with a mole dog head... so it's just a lot of naked mole dog with some grabby arms.

Up top, the voracious cave crawler and the magma man. Occasionally, legendary generals will make a journey to the depths during world generation and tame voracious cave crawlers for use in war. Magma men, on the other hand, are just not safe to have around at all.

On the right, longer critters! A giant earthworm and a giant olm. You'll find that Dwarf Fortress has a lot of giant creatures...

- Tarn

--

Kitfox's Note

The Debug Creature's face is such a mood.

- Victoria

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2020, 11:42:11 am »

Steam Community Update 2 July 2020: "Guilty lizards and the DF Talk Podcast!"

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/975370/view/2504513502276761103

Full text:

Guilty lizards and the DF Talk Podcast!

Hi!

Creatures and items, creatures and items. Here are lots of different seeds.

You can grow all sorts of different real world and fantasy plants. Our dwarves like to farm a variety of mushrooms underground, but you can try aboveground plants if you like.

I put them on a glass block floor, since I accidentally put an ice floor in the last news posting when I said it was glass, ha ha. I then spread some of the new treasure items around everywhere, in each of the currency materials. You can also make coins and treasures out of non-currency metals and materials.

There were a few other treasures to lay out, but I took the screenshot early, as a lizard started eating my seeds (the guilty party still sits happily in the stockpile.) Normally you can protect seeds from vermin by using bags and barrels, and also by having some trusty cats around to hunt them and bring the remains to their dwarves.

Mike in the meantime has drawn many animals over the last several days, among them the remaining birds. Can you name them all?

I've also been experimenting with the mouse and clickable buttons and other fancy widgets. Animals next to the animal buttons, items next to the item buttons, rather than text text text. DF has had a little patchy mouse support in the past, but we're going to improve that situation for Steam. Hopefully I'll have some to show soon! Artists have to do a pass on my programmer art first, he he he.

-Tarn

Kitfox Note

After a 6 year hiatus, the DF Talk podcast has restarted! Join Rainseeker, Capntastic and the Toady One (Tarn!) as they talk about Dwarf Fortress and answer questions from the forum.

You can listen to it here, but fair warning... the volume levels are wonky. (In the words of Tarn, they "suck". Heh.) I figured it was still worth sharing though - think of this as the test run of better and more volume-controlled episodes to come! ;)

https://steamcommunity.com/linkfilter/?url=https://bay12games.com/dwarves/df_talk.html

- Victoria

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2020, 12:35:54 pm »

PTW, now that I've spotted this again (to deal with its infrequency making it slip under the radar) Also a PTL, w.r.t the renewed DFTalk, which I'll now be sure to check later in one or other context.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:54 pm »

The birds somehow remind me about Simlife.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]