Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: How long will the Big Wait be? [Speculation]  (Read 34307 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How long will the Big Wait be? [Speculation]
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2023, 03:38:32 am »

I'm sure the Steam stuff will eventually give way so new stuff can be added, it'll just be a bit.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2023, 03:51:22 am »

I'm sure the Steam stuff will eventually give way so new stuff can be added, it'll just be a bit.

I'm expecting that after Adventure mode is re-introduced (this year sounds a bit too optimistic, so maybe halfway of 2024?), there'll be some months of fixing new issues, and after that's dealt with things will continue somewhat as they used to (perhaps with a slightly slower pace?). But before M&M development, there's quite a bit on the list: finishing the villains release, the improved sieges/army stuff and maybe something else that I can't remember? I'd expect those to take a couple years to do.

Criperum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2023, 04:17:32 am »

What happens if you try to keep programming after you reach an age of doubleunsignedint.max+1?
You start over

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2023, 11:31:09 am »

It's not like Toady not being able to program, if limited by his physical humantoad body in some 4+ decades from now, will halt the development of DF either.

But I continue to be an optimist in the near-term. January 2026 for the first M&M. One of Toady and Threetoe's strongest suit is generating a bunch of stuff in the background to support the rest, be it histories, personalities, or villainous schemes, and the first M&M release could be that if they focus on the myths.
I suppose it depends on their mood too, will they shorten the "Big Wait" since there has already been one recently with the graphics, and release something with largely the map rewrite and some background myths? Or are they now more confident in a ~3 year long wait, and the community's ability to wait, and release the whole thing, from "Hostility settings: No death or violence to regular settings to bleak and horrifying" to "Expanded elf/nature spirit diplomacy"? I'd hope for the more incremental, because it all seems so fun to play around with. :)

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 03, 2023, 01:21:50 am »

I think he's saying that Toady will stop working on the game before M&M happens.

I think that's the least likely thing to happen.

If all the other stuff takes the better part of 10 years (which is looking increasingly likely) plus he has to handle a bunch of business stuff, and when you factor in the likelihood of unforeseen events that may delay or halt development as 10 years is a long time (ranging from something 'trivial' like having to switch to whatever new cpu architecture, to another pandemic with incapacitating effects), the likelihood of a release actually coming out of all this becomes quite dim indeed. It's one of those asymptotic things.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 03, 2023, 10:17:08 am »

Well, 10 years is long, but it's sure the game won't be finished in 10 years. So even if the big wait is finished or not finished, other things will be in development.
Remember, this is version 0,50, which means half the game is done in %. And it's been in dev for the last 20 years...

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2023, 10:30:56 pm »

If I had to bet i'd say we'd start seeing stuff from Myth & Magic implemented around late 2024 or early 2025
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]