Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Classic -> Mac Silicon?  (Read 807 times)

DreamWizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF Classic -> Mac Silicon?
« on: May 21, 2023, 06:11:51 pm »

Hi!

I love DF *EDIT* LEGACY (47.5 and previous for mac/linux) and especially enjoy playing on my mac. Im just wondering, since I am shopping for a new silicon mac, if DF LEGACY will still install the same as on my current intel based mac. Are the wiki install articles for mac still relevant for the new M1/M2's? Ive read wine is necessary for the newer steam/io version but I am only interested in classic.

Thank you for the insight and sorry if this is a silly question.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 01:23:33 pm by DreamWizard »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Classic -> Mac Silicon?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 07:54:10 pm »

Classic versions of 50+ are also only for windows currently. Porting to Linux and Mac will happen, but it could be a while.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2023, 09:48:30 am »

Hi!

I love DF Classic and especially enjoy playing on my mac. Im just wondering, since I am shopping for a new silicon mac, if DF Classic will still install the same as on my current intel based mac. Are the wiki install articles for mac still relevant for the new M1/M2's? Ive read wine is necessary for the newer steam/io version but I am only interested in classic.

Thank you for the insight and sorry if this is a silly question.
Classic is just a version of Steam without the graphics/soundtrack the program is otherwise the same.

DreamWizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 01:22:51 pm »

Classic versions of 50+ are also only for windows currently. Porting to Linux and Mac will happen, but it could be a while.

Im sorry i meant **LEGACY**, 47.5 and previous. My fault. Is there any difference in requirements for LEGACY df from intel mac to mac silicon? Thank you for your reply

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 03:33:47 pm »

I know some had trouble getting it to work properly on M1/2, and I'm not aware if any reliable solution was found. So even for pre-50 versions running the windows version through some compatibility or emulation layer is probably needed on non-intel hardware.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

DreamWizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2023, 05:22:39 pm »

I know some had trouble getting it to work properly on M1/2, and I'm not aware if any reliable solution was found. So even for pre-50 versions running the windows version through some compatibility or emulation layer is probably needed on non-intel hardware.

Gaahhh! Darn, thank you for letting me know. I may just convert to linux after all lol! Thanks again

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 07:22:37 pm »

Gaahhh! Darn, thank you for letting me know. I may just convert to linux after all lol! Thanks again

Although… see this post and Putnam’s response to it…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.