Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Syria - Now what?  (Read 7119 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Syria - Now what?
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 12:09:29 am »

This is the year of the Pan-arabian revolution. NATO cannot worm it's fingers into every conflict in the region. We picked Libya because the rule of a man like Khadaffi is a liability to the world. As a leader, his is a known terrorist fund raiser, violent tyrant, and clearly insane, who came to his power in government illegitimately to begin with.

In Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Syria, etc., the abuses by the governments have been relatively humane in comparison, and the protesters will likely get what they demand given time and persistence, as seen in Egypt and Tunisia. Admittedly, not helping probably won't win us any love, but they don't want to be seen as western puppets either.

This is their fight, and they are mostly fighting it properly, and if they continue, they will win. We intervene in Libya only because not standing in the way of what was going to happen to the Libyan people, knowing in advance what would happen, was tantamount to giving it the green light.
!!&!!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2011, 04:10:02 am »

Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2011, 10:57:03 am »

Intersting article.  I think there is alot of BS in it, along with a huge chunk of upbacked-up assertions, but quite interesting.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2011, 02:55:09 pm »

The nato is not able to get in yet another war. Period.
Or it will have to pull a serious war effort.

Please, have a little confidence in the Stars and Stripes (and company).

This is the year of the Pan-arabian revolution. NATO cannot worm it's fingers into every conflict in the region. We picked Libya because the rule of a man like Khadaffi is a liability to the world. As a leader, his is a known terrorist fund raiser, violent tyrant, and clearly insane, who came to his power in government illegitimately to begin with.

In Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria, Syria, etc., the abuses by the governments have been relatively humane in comparison, and the protesters will likely get what they demand given time and persistence, as seen in Egypt and Tunisia. Admittedly, not helping probably won't win us any love, but they don't want to be seen as western puppets either.

This is their fight, and they are mostly fighting it properly, and if they continue, they will win. We intervene in Libya only because not standing in the way of what was going to happen to the Libyan people, knowing in advance what would happen, was tantamount to giving it the green light.

I feel this is a more accurate view.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 03:02:42 pm by Urist is dead tome »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2011, 04:44:13 pm »

Bwahahaha! You mean the bankrupt, decaying West?  What a laugh.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2011, 05:54:45 pm »

Damn, I just remembered the crap things you believe in.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 05:57:07 pm »

Maybe if the West had an actual strategy I wouldn't be so dismissive.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 05:58:12 pm »

Maybe if the West had an actual strategy I wouldn't be so dismissive.

What exactly do you mean by "the West"? And strategy for what, exactly?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2011, 06:11:17 pm »

Now, I hope that this lightens the mood instead of qualifying as shitposting, but I want to let you know what image comes to mind whenever somebody mentions "the West".

Seriously, though, there's some pretty over-the-top generalizations that are getting thrown around here. Some specificity on Bouchart's part would help a lot, because then I could actually come to a sensible decision as to what extent I should agree or disagree, and then contribute meaningfully to the thread.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 06:13:13 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2011, 06:20:11 pm »

Urist there is that little thing called economic crisis you may have heard of... and europe manage to get short of ammunition already. That's not counting the fact that we just realized that we have not, in fact dedicaced air to ground fighters in europe.
Meanwhile, in the US, you are dismantling your already failling public health and education to pay of your debt.

I think we're already at the limit of our war effort.

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2011, 06:27:01 pm »

Meanwhile, in the US, you are dismantling your already failling public health and education to pay of your debt.

We aren't even doing that yet...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »

I think we're already at the limit of our war effort.

Where did you hear this?

We're not at the end of the war effort until we completely run out of guns and men.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2011, 06:45:32 pm »

And just to clarify, I'm very libertarian so I'd support dismantling state-run education and health care.  But it's not happening yet because of the war.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2011, 10:47:03 pm »

And just to clarify, I'm very libertarian so I'd support dismantling state-run education and health care.  But it's not happening yet because of the war.

I myself am also fairly libertarian so I agree with you on that one.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2011, 04:49:50 am »

And you're both wrong : open a frigging newspaper, you're having the worst budget cut in the history of America (very well played, too, with the family planning shenanigan to distract you while the real deal has gone unnoticed).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5