Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Concrete Making  (Read 1097 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Concrete Making
« on: April 23, 2011, 01:35:17 am »

I was wondering if it was possible to get a dwarf to grab water from a well and mix it with stone (I have a grinder building). I want to require water to make concrete but for now it just needs a bucket which is not consumed.

On a completely unrelated note, do you think it is worth the trouble to have to powder stone before using it as a dye? I have five types of stone dye but they all take an entire valuable ore stone each.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Concrete Making
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 01:52:30 am »

Hmm... Maybe, though I see some problems with it off the bat.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That should take a container that has water in it as a reagent; it's a somewhat-modified version of the soap-making reaction's lye reagent lines.

The main problem I see is that this wouldn't actually tell your dwarves to go get water from a well, so you'd have to micromanage or engineer a way to get buckets of water some other way. Maybe if you put a pond zone on the far side of a one-way hallway such that dwarves went, got a bucket, went to the well, tried to get to the pond, found it inaccessible, and dropped the bucket you could automate producing water buckets...

It depends on how valuable the dyes are, I guess. It's certainly more realistic to have to grind the stones before dyeing things with them. Doesn't dye have to be a powder, though? So are you asking whether it's worth it to have the reaction go stone->dye instead of stone->powder->dye? Because I'd think just grinding the stone would be good enough; needing a second custom reaction, probably at a second custom workshop, to turn powdered stone into dye would be irritating, I think.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 05:53:44 am »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Cheating#Produce_Water

How to make buckets of water, hope this resparks the idea, I would like concrete too, perhaps the reaction can be modded to take, say booze as a reagent, or any misc. liquid?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 05:59:52 am by Reelyanoob »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 06:22:50 am »

I have concrete in my Cthulhu mod, which is made by first gathering gravel (which produces between 0 and 3 small rocks) and then making a concrete boulder (which consumes 3 small rocks and a bin). So the real cost of a concrete boulder is a wooden log and time. I don't really like the water cheating reaction, because it can also be used to make, well, cheat water. I just assume that the concrete maker gets water in the same way that brewers do.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 06:33:36 am »

nice to know, except plants contain a high water content (like animals do), which goes into the brewed product. Where the plants get enough water is the main question there.

I'd never use the "cheat water" mod as it stands, just using it as a basis for outputting buckets. I want a realistic input, eg at least brewed products.

EDIT: Booze to water reaction Mk#1
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 09:01:05 am by Reelyanoob »

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 09:30:46 am »

some old concrete mixes like roman concrete used animal blood and fat in the mix...you could use that as a DF water substitute, because like Lovechild said...the brewery really should be using a lot of water because you can't get enough water just from the plant itself, but the game just fudges over that. 

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 09:37:50 am »

some old concrete mixes like roman concrete used animal blood and fat in the mix...you could use that as a DF water substitute, because like Lovechild said...the brewery really should be using a lot of water because you can't get enough water just from the plant itself, but the game just fudges over that.
Very dorfy.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 06:11:15 pm »

Make those barrels of blood actually have a purpose as well.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?