Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 560541 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elona
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:42:09 am »

Elona, the game where you get stoned to death for touching a piano, burned alive by drinking clear liquid and get asked to go nuke an entire town.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/rfish/index_e.html

Discuss.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:15:58 pm by Supercharazad »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:44:07 am »

Is this really that interesting? Or another RPG with a bunch of random stuff?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 03:52:16 am »

This has already been posted before.

Is this really that interesting? Or another RPG with a bunch of random stuff?
It's a really, really strange and potentially disturbing Roguelike, if you're into those things.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 03:55:04 am »

Only "potentially"?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 03:56:14 am »

Depends. For some people who have played DF way too much, or people that just don't care, it may not be disturbing.

For everyone else, however...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 04:33:32 am »

While I love this game, there are two good reasons not to start a new topic on it:

First,
This has already been posted before.

Second,
The developer has officially abandoned Elona.  While some fans are trying to salvage and continue it, I doubt they'll have anything workable this year.

So, it is probably best to put this one on the shelf for now.  Like wine, it will taste so much better later.

EDIT: On the other hand, I would simply LOVE to read a LP on this game.  With the ability to have multiple teammates, rename the main character's home, and possibly even rename items, the game would be awesome to LP!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:04:40 am »

As much as I sort of like Elona I sort of recognise its weaknesses

It is a game where actual progression is your largest enemy. Heck depending on your race and class progression can be outright devistating.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 05:50:12 am »

Only "potentially"?

You get a little girl as your pet. And you ride her. Then you buy a ranch and put your little girl there as a breeder to get more little girls. And then you modify her genetically to give her a centaur lower body. Then you ride her some more. You put a leash around her neck and she tells you "Please be gentle".

"Extremely disturbing" is an understatement... :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:04:06 am »

Occasionally she gets pregnant too and gives birth to alien spawn that starts killing and/or impregnating everything in the vicinity.

Yeah, it's that kind of game :V

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 06:05:38 am »

Don't forget that you have to fail missions so that people won't think your good enough to kill.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 09:51:08 am »

Eh...

I remember being level 1 and I had 400 charges of meteor. And anyway, I just breed the putits. Putit meat is the best.

Human is better though, gwen is good for that.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:06 pm »

I really, really have to ask, since I never could get far enough on this myself.

Is Elona winnable without stepping into Wizard Mode? Winnable at all? Could someone actually take it upon themselves to accomplish everything the game has to offer, be it through sneaky tricks or ages of grinding?

Is it possible?
Do lots and lots of deliver quests. It'll get you lot's of mostly easy gold. If you are a wizard, spell book deliver quests are specially awesome, as, 1. You only need a single charge at the book for the quest to be successful, so read until it can be only read one more time, and 2. The non monetary part of the reward are magical items which are awesome.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 01:38:28 pm »

You actually have to do a lot of grinding.

There are two enemies in the game worse then any others
1) Leveling up
and
2) Gaining Fame

If you level up through dungeons you will gain pointless levels and end up too weak.

If you gain too much fame you will face unbeatable hoards of enemies.

Plus you also need to grind out some resistances/immunities to specific status effects to beat the game.

Though even with a straight run (if it was possible) it would take a while... the last time I checked the highest level dungeon was level 500.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 01:41:11 pm »

I really, really have to ask, since I never could get far enough on this myself.

Is Elona winnable without stepping into Wizard Mode? Winnable at all? Could someone actually take it upon themselves to accomplish everything the game has to offer, be it through sneaky tricks or ages of grinding?

Is it possible?
Do lots and lots of deliver quests. It'll get you lot's of mostly easy gold. If you are a wizard, spell book deliver quests are specially awesome, as, 1. You only need a single charge at the book for the quest to be successful, so read until it can be only read one more time, and 2. The non monetary part of the reward are magical items which are awesome.

I must point out that you didn't answer my question. :U

Well, that'll allow you to grind out the start of the game. After that, I assume you could grind out the rest of the game, although it'll probably take a LONG time.
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »

If sneaky tricks includes value hacking, I think yes.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 291