Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291

Author Topic: Elona  (Read 561074 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Elona
« Reply #4320 on: December 24, 2017, 10:12:35 pm »

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Very low level identifying stuff used to be debilitating in Elona, but in E+ even a completely full inventory of unidentified stuff from the Puppy Cave usually is only maybe 2k-4k tops.

Is there any particular trick in dealing with Hungry Demons? I'm a gunner with decent skill and a submachine gun, yet these jerks can dance around my shots, touch me once or twice, and kill me even when Bloated. They, along with Kobolds, are probably the cause of most of my deaths. Thank the gods Elona isn't perma-death.

They're dodgy little jerks, if you aren't using heavy armor or a Medium Armor + Shield equipment loadout, try branching out into magic.

Hungry Demons don't have a lot of hitpoints, so even a low level Magic Dart will take it out in a few hits. Magic never misses, after all. Or use Rods. Magic Device doesn't need an entire set of skills to get started with, and you'll eventually get the Draw Charge/Fill Charge abilities to let you keep your favorite rods topped off (and gives a use to the less useful rods as well). Other than that... I think there is a few tricks you can pull out against hyper-evasive enemies; but none come to mind just yet.
There's an active skill called Squeeze that you start with (I think). In addition to hugging your allies, you can use it to death-hug enemies. It costs 10 SP, does fairly low damage, but always hits, so if you can get adjacent to a fast but low HP target you can just use that to crush them to death.

Also try to select gear for to-hit bonuses early on, you need those more than damage until your skills get raised a bit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: December 25, 2017, 12:08:22 am »

What's the best way to identify things such as potions and scrolls? All the wiki seems to say on the subject is that the Sense Quality skill doesn't do a thing for them.
Errr... what are you guys on?  Identifying potions/scrolls still works.  Even if Sense Quality doesn't do anything for them specifically.

You don't need to dump oodles of cash identifying potions/scrolls.  It'll naturally happen.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: December 25, 2017, 12:37:37 am »

It does, though.

Keep in mind that the wiki is still technically an Elona wiki and a lot of it hasn't been updated past the point where Noa stopped developing the original game. That's why some pages have sections explicitly marked as being for Elona+. Others have information accurate to some version of Elona+, but that can easily still be wrong now because it was last edited five releases ago or something and likely won't be marked as such.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: December 25, 2017, 12:33:34 pm »

I guess you don't need to Sense Quality skill to actually appraise items? I noticed that it was in a list of skills that a trainer could teach me, and not on my actual skill list. Also weight-lifting, which I most certainly bought.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: December 25, 2017, 01:07:32 pm »

IIRC without Sense Quality you'll only identify things partially, if you want the exact stats of equipment &c. you need it. No reason not to get it, either, since it passively levels Perception, and you can just pick up crap while dungeon-diving and drop it once you can see that it has no worthwhile stats. Make sure to get Traveling ASAP if you don't have it, and get every skill as you can afford it. The sooner you start passively leveling everything, the better. Also remember to buy skills with plat until the cost caps at 15p, then use your skill tickets, since using them still raises the cost before it caps out.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: December 25, 2017, 02:18:06 pm »

Oh. Shit. I already used a bunch of skill tickets :L

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: December 25, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »

It's not that big a deal. Plat's pretty easy to come by, especially if you have best big sis Goddess and a museum.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: December 25, 2017, 02:54:47 pm »

Okay, here's a new question: is polymorphing in Elona? I'm not certain, but from the way this "fire@dragon child" is following me around I think my little girl got transformed somehow.

ETA: Wait, no, there she is. So why is a baby dragon following me around? Can I tame it somehow?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 02:57:32 pm by Sirus »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: December 25, 2017, 03:12:36 pm »

Just the usual way, with Domination or a monster ball. The following is part of their AI routine I think. Can definitely be worth taming, they have three evolution stages and absurdly high innate Life (220--that's higher than a lot of the hostile God NPCs) and fire resist. They're only level 2, so basically any monster ball will do the job if you can avoid killing them outright. Do note that it'll take time/money, since they need an evo heart, a machine heart, and a magic heart. Well worth it, though.

Speaking of resists, goodness I got lucky. Got mine all filled out with only two at normal, the rest at superb or strong, at only level 36. Mostly because I got a pair of Godly items with excellent resists, an amulet with Magic (###), Nerve (#####), Poison (###), Darkness (##), & gloves with Sound (#####+), Darkness (#####+), Cold (##), and Fire (###). The gloves are just stupidly good all around, they came as Spirit Cloth without needing to use a mat kit, and also have 5-point boosts to STR and DEX atop the material buff to SPD, and their only negative is to Medium Armor.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: December 25, 2017, 03:18:12 pm »

I have neither Domination nor a monster ball. Well, I have a monster ball but it's in my house. I die way too often to carry around something like that.

Well, moot point now. Accidentally killed the baby while trying to move past it. I was hoping to merely displace the fella :<
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 03:21:51 pm by Sirus »

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: December 25, 2017, 05:50:14 pm »

I have neither Domination nor a monster ball. Well, I have a monster ball but it's in my house. I die way too often to carry around something like that.

Well, moot point now. Accidentally killed the baby while trying to move past it. I was hoping to merely displace the fella :<

you'll get another one eventually, chin up.

my world domination plan is working slow. does anyone know about town boards; how and why would i become mayor?
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: December 25, 2017, 08:55:14 pm »

Jeez, death knows how to hurt you. I left my home to dump some trash in a random tile of field. While there, I found a curaria herb! I tried to eat it, but my overweight backpack caused a tiny amount of damage and interrupted me. I dropped some heavy weapons I was in the process of identifying, then tried again. I was interrupted again, but this time it was a "cupid of love" shooting me for more than half my HP. I desperately tried to fight back, and my pet and I nearly had it before it killed me.

When I wake up at home, not only is the curaria gone, but so is the miracle-quality halberd that I most certainly did not drop, which I was also in the process of identifying.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: December 25, 2017, 10:46:26 pm »

Yeah, sometimes things just go poorly... I remember my first really successful character, death made me drop my fancy gun; I was upset and pissed and died like 15 more times trying to get it back, using my last gun, which was significantly fancy (it was a static dungeon, so I had the chance to get it back at least). It was a good gun, and I resorted to mining shenanigans to retrieve it... Long long time ago. I do remember that gun being my mainstay for a very long time too. I liked that gun.

If you have to stop and loiter in wilderness areas for whatever; stay at the edge of the map. That way if something shows up that you can't fight you can pack up and bail quickly. Or just cut your losses and bail quickly. Also, Rods of Teleport are your friend! Poof yourself or the thing (if adjacent) away from the danger! (Also also, don't linger too long. If you manually enter a wilderness it'll be safe, but scaled up enemies will start spawning in after a little bit. Leave and re-enter every now and then.)

Also, just be careful in general in temporary maps like Puppy Cave, the risk of losing your valuables forever is a very present risk.

If you want more free storage space, the 2 quest areas in Vernis are 100% stable and safe once you clear them out. You can cram a lot of items there, even before cleaning up all the stray stacks of items that came with the place! (The one with all the Putit's and Slimes only really needs to be mostly clear to use as storage, due to its size.)

For Domination, you can buy a Rod of Domination at Miral and Garok's workshop for Small Medals, it'll only has 4 charges, but that should be enough for one thing easily.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4333 on: December 26, 2017, 02:40:57 am »

Might be a good idea to carry(and actually use) some healing potions or remember to try to utilize your healing spells.  Troll potions arn't too bad either if you are taking constant damage.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: December 26, 2017, 04:03:23 am »

Or get that vampire feat. It does 1d7 of damage for every 15 dex, +1 for every 4 dex, heals you for the damage dealt, and drains more stamina than it uses. As long as nothing can one or two-shot you, you can sit there sucking all day until you're healthy or everything else is dead. Also handy for Party Time stamina regen.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291