Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Guidance Counselor 0.0.6 11 May 2011  (Read 49969 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Guidance Counselor 0.0.5 03 May 2011
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 09:31:31 pm »

This is a great little program, but I still look forward to a day in which this can be done as a standalone program that will grab the information out of DF on it's own, rather than through other utilities.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Guidance Counselor 0.0.6 11 May 2011
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2011, 04:50:27 am »

This utility is so awesome! Thanks and great job! It's helped so much with organizing my labor, and made that task a lot more fun.

I really like the change in the 0.0.6 update where I can select a subset of dwarves. That sure sped things up! But, I do think that it would be really great if I could see my dwarves' migration wave number in the selection box, like Dwarf Therapist has. Alternatively, visibility to their military squad number would help, too. I think these pieces of data aren't here because they're not in the Runesmith export file? (I had a look at it and didn't see them.)

Right now I use Guidance Counselor with a little help from a spreadsheet to track labor, and Dwarf Therapist to assign things. (And Runesmith just for its export power.) I dream of all of this getting merged somehow :)
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

knaveofstaves

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes bogeymen for their terror-inspiring antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2011, 01:37:35 pm »

Thanks Antalia, glad you like it.

The Migration Wave thing is a bit of a hack on DT's part, in KNOWN_ISSUES.txt they call it "shady guesswork". Not that I mind, if I had the information for a shady guess I'd do it too. I only mean to say that there's no one number anybody can rely on directly for this information. DGC (and the Runesmith XML underneath it) naturally sort by arrival time, which is something, I guess.

You're basically right on the problem, if Runesmith's XML doesn't know it, I don't know it. We could go over to the Runesmith thread and demand with furious entitlement very politely request that the XML export function include more information, such as dwarf ID, preferences, or squad info. Once we have a full list of what we really want, so he only has to change the thing once. And I only have to rewrite DGC once to incorporate it. ;)

For now, maybe use the nickname system to label your dwarves by squad? It's not a great option but it's there.

The whole great merger idea sounds good to me, too. Like I've said before, eventually a real application will do labor evaluation and this stopgap of a script can be retired. Out of curiosity, what sort of information do you keep on your labor spreadsheet?
Dwarven Guidance Counselor, my little scripting project.

wlerin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2011, 08:28:01 pm »

For some reason Runesmith doesn't pay any heed to which options I check while exporting, and gives me a file with *everything*.

Unfortunately, since each skill has it's own <Name> tag, this causes my list of dwarves to be populated mostly with things like "Butchery" and "Miller" and "Sandwicher". Er... well, not sandwicher, but you get the point. I'd suggest replacing this:

*snip*

with this:

*snip*

There may be a better way to do it, I'm not a coder. Still, I can verify that this will work. There are several of these that need to be changed.

edit: Nevermind, the newest version already implements this change.
...And no one notices that a desert titan is made out of ice. No, ice capybara in the desert? Normal. Someone kinda figured out the military? Amazing!

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2011, 10:55:29 pm »

This is a very cool tool. I'm trying it on my embarkers.

But I have a question. I will quite happily admit to being a non-coder and probably only a Novice Dwarf Fortress player. I don't use any other programs with the dwarf fortress client like runecrafter or anything, so I'm inputting values by hand - which is easy, if a bit menial - I'm not complaining.

Here's my question/request. Is there any way to "save current dwarf" to a list, and start on a new one without resetting the form and losing the first dwarf's information (while inputting details by hand from Thoughts and Preferences)? If not, I think it would be very helpful if there was. Then you could use the "best among" features even entering details by hand, or at the very least, click back and forth to see which of several dwarves who would make a decent "X profession" would make the -best- one, or which were roughly equally suited to other tasks.

Also, if this is implemented, would it be possible to save your current dwarf list as a file of some kind which could then be reloaded to look it over again and add to it when your next immigrant wave arrives?

If so, then yay! This program alone could make a fine stand-alone way to organize your dwarves' talents and labours, using manual entry only, which would rock.

Also, if I'm missing something obvious, please let me know. ^^

SS

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2011, 04:17:29 pm »

DGC is really handy, I'm using it a lot - thanks!!

My few minor feature suggestions:
1) Please somewhere put the count of dwarves loaded from the dwarves.xml file.  That way I can easily compare to Dwarf Therapist to check if I need to do a Runesmith/reload step to get current.
2) It would be really cool to have a "check for misfits" button/list - that would look through dwarves and their current assignments and put up a page/list of ill-suited assignments (and ideally reasons and factor weight) ie "Ulrist McWimpy - Assigned Close Combat Military but Horrible Strength (-20), Horrible Recovery(-40)" "Axel McHouse - Assigned Doctor but Hates to Help People(-50)" etc.
3) It would be cool to see a list of factors for/against the profession ratings too ("in-depth counseling" heh).  It would help me learn the factors, and also help spot any bugs.
4) Yea, some indication of the wave number would be SUPER especially with a way to quickly select a specific wave as a subset, so I can look at just the latest arrivals.  In parenthesis after the name maybe?  And/or "sort list by wave number" "sort list by name   " so I could range select the end of the list easily?

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2011, 11:20:51 am »

My few minor feature suggestions:[...]

1, 2 and 3 seem possible. I'm looking at the Runesmith export file and I don't see a wave number. So until Runesmith exports wave number (or there's a better export utility) then it probably can't be added to DGC.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2011, 02:08:24 pm »

Haven't tried it yet, but looking at the concept of this and my experience with using DwarfTherapist gives me the idea that you should find a way to be able to get this working simultaneously with DT, or at least work with them to find a way to integrate it with the program (like a secondary background/foreground color/pattern/highlight (or symbol/number color/highlight) to signify some of these other suggestions; job is best/worst suited for them, neutrals are ignored (no highlight, DT background, no formatting change to the cell)). Not only do you see their current skill in the field like DT shows, and the highlight of the job they're assigned, but another overlay of if they're suited for the task and etc..

It can really streamline things even further. And I would agree about trying to get it to work with DFHack to get more in-depth with the data and accuracy (with a set update rate from realitime, to every 10 seconds or something, or at least have a refresh option readily available), and minimize effort of assigning tasks based on stats/specs. Heck, it can work well as a separate option/tab for DT to use if it can get integrated. Just ask to be credited for your feature. I definitely will whenever I get around to working on a megaproject again.

EDIT:
Trying it out for a bit, I also want this (if integrated with DT sometime) to have an (auto-)override ability for any/all jobs best suited for the dwarf (if selected; multiple even). Essentially, it would take what jobs the dorf(s) in question already have assigned, and replace them with what they're better/best suited for; of course, with a confirmation required by the player if they're okay with it. Can get really helpful for larger forts, but on the other hand, can make for some really lazy DF players (IE- those willing to select all, and auto-assign; I know you're out there, admit it). I guess the color scheme can use a light orange for below-average, and a yellow-green for above average or something when highlighted. But yeah, DT's grid, with this summarized to fit that format would work beautifully, with the options to use this as a separate window if need be later on for the same detailed info as it shows already.

Furthermore testing it, I can see how it can be integrated with DT. Just use a similar setup, but reformed to fit DT's model. Same thing, highlights, format overrides/overlays and all that, but only if you're actively seeking out dwarves best suited. It really helps in case you have really skilled dwarves (as DT would display) even if they're not suited to it immediately. Wouldn't want to make that legendary ambusher/swordsdwarf a doctor now, would we? Unless you want to have Dr. Urist McNinja on your team.

On the other hand... ^_^

I can see it now, the fort's up ablaze, and he's running around on fire. You ask why? "Because nobody can catch you while you're on fire."
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 03:31:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:10 am »

A few months ago I forked DGC and made some changes to it. This was more of a personal convenience than anything else. Out of boredom I added a few more things, then rewrote most of the interface. Even had a look at making a patch for DT, however my C++ skills are meager so I didn't get far.

knaveofstaves seemed enthusiastic and said he'd test it on his next fortresses, however never got back when I replied to him. I didn't want to be in charge of this project as my interests are fickle. This is why I waited so long before posting on here.

I'm not planning on developing it much further, though I'll fix minor bugs people point out. In a few months I may (or may not) work on it some more, but it would be in the form of an application using DF Hack. (C++ gives me headaches)

The current version was tested with Firefox 5 only and XML files.

Old updated version: https://github.com/AnnanFay/DGC/
Most recent version: https://github.com/AnnanFay/DGC/tree/jui

Hope some people find any changes I made useful! :)

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 28, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »

Knave, I found a bug in the calculation of MASON ARMORSMITH METAL CRAFTER METALSMITH WEAPONSMITH GLASSMAKER LEATHERWORKER skills.

They should be calculated based on SAECSsKs, but you are using this:
skillcomp=strbest()+agibest()+endrbest()+willbest()+spabest()+kinbest();

So you see you should swap the willbest with crebest.  This is on line 669 of DGC.html

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2011, 07:25:24 pm »

I like the way I can click through the names and skills in the report.  Very cool Annan.

SerpentStare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Spelling Mistake?
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 12:10:24 am »

Hi, guys.

I think I've just encountered a slight bug in Dwarven Guidance Counselor's manual input system.

It refuses entirely to recognize the "is entirely averse to risk and excitement" tag, the most extremely low level of the Excitement_Seeking trait. This could be due to a spelling mistake in the system - I double-checked my own spelling, and then checked it against the entry on the magmawiki, so I'm pretty sure it's not my own error.

Just a notice, someone should probably fix this.

Bifidus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2011, 07:16:23 am »

Thank you, i use it a lot.

Now, for minor annoyances :

- specials characters don't appear, and are replaced with weirds symbols. Make it hard to find a dwarf whose name start with one, when you have hundred.
- in the left column, long names make the number appear on the dwarf below.
- you have to select a competence before trying to find the best dwarf in that competence, else, it only display the current dwarf.

I hope you're still playing DF ^^

LittleJP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »

Not sure how to run this from Chrome.
EDIT: Got it to run the switch, but it isn't loading from the XML.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 10:04:14 pm by LittleJP »
In case it wasn't obvious, I do know that dividing by zero is a mathematical impossibility. I do not know, however, how this dwarven calculator would react if anyone attempted the impossible. Please, someone try! xD
If you look back in the thread, some people did try, and they got 8008135, which is significant only in that the digits resemble the letter in "BOOBIES".
And so dwarf fortress solves yet another of lifes great mysteries.

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:02 pm »

Just saw in the change log for dfhack that they've added a new "dwarfexport" command to spit out RuneSmith compatible XML files for quick loading into Dwarven Guidance Counselor.

Does anyone else still use DGC?  I use it constantly, but I haven't seen any updates 'round here in a long long time.  I'm guessing AnnanFay is no longer around or working on it?

If you *are* still around, big thanks for making DGC, even if you're not able to continue updating it -- it significantly improves my DF experience.  :)

--nomad_delta
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7