Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Dwarven Guidance Counselor 0.0.6 11 May 2011  (Read 49687 times)

Muffindog

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: Dwarven Guidance Counselor 0.0.6 11 May 2011
« Reply #60 on: February 08, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »

This is absolutely awesome and incredibly useful! Thank you for this little utility, it helped me quite a bit.

Although I have one question. After the evaluation of one dwarf, the counselor says "Excellent!" When does it say that? Because I've got this...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

He's worst of the starting 7 and can't do any job right. What's so excellent about it? :P

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:27 pm »

That's part of the "his breaks will be short" section. It means he's not a lazy bugger like most dwarves, which is excellent!

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2012, 07:58:14 pm »

Just saw in the change log for dfhack that they've added a new "dwarfexport" command to spit out RuneSmith compatible XML files for quick loading into Dwarven Guidance Counselor.

Does anyone else still use DGC?  I use it constantly, but I haven't seen any updates 'round here in a long long time.  I'm guessing AnnanFay is no longer around or working on it?

If you *are* still around, big thanks for making DGC, even if you're not able to continue updating it -- it significantly improves my DF experience.  :)

I stopped working on DGC for a long while though recently I have started developing it again. I'm currently reprogramming it to be a dfhack module with GUI (though I didn't know about dwarfexport). I'm not fond of C++ so I am writing it in a mix or Clojure and Java, both of which I am relatively new to. It will be about 1-2 months before I release a new version.

Not sure if knaveofstaves is working on DGC in any way.

Glad people still use this utility! :)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2012, 08:32:47 pm »

I stopped working on DGC for a long while though recently I have started developing it again. I'm currently reprogramming it to be a dfhack module with GUI (though I didn't know about dwarfexport). I'm not fond of C++ so I am writing it in a mix or Clojure and Java, both of which I am relatively new to. It will be about 1-2 months before I release a new version.

oh wow, new DGC as a dfhack module with a GUI?  That sounds rad, good luck on learning Clojure/Java along the way.

--nomad_delta

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2012, 01:26:06 am »

Just saw in the change log for dfhack that they've added a new "dwarfexport" command to spit out RuneSmith compatible XML files for quick loading into Dwarven Guidance Counselor.

Does anyone else still use DGC?  I use it constantly, but I haven't seen any updates 'round here in a long long time.  I'm guessing AnnanFay is no longer around or working on it?

It's pretty useful for analyzing dwarves.  I use it when I get crap like potash makers or just plain peasants as immigrants so I can see where they'll be of better use to my fort.  I've also used it when kids reach adulthood.

I tried the new command line in DFHack, but something didn't work right and it didn't load properly.  I'm going to take a look at it again.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2012, 05:39:06 am »

Just thought i'd give this a try, and when using the latest dfhack to export i noticed that the original DGC works fine but your "jui" version AnnanFay doesn't work with it? unless i'm doing something wrong, it just won't read in any XML file. And what is the DGC-spread.html file for? it doesn't seem todo anything just gives me a blank screen.

Seems odd that i'd get immigrants with say 10 in weaving and the DGC says they'd make a poor weaver ;p i guess he really just likes weaving!
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 10:41:59 am »

Just thought i'd give this a try, and when using the latest dfhack to export i noticed that the original DGC works fine but your "jui" version AnnanFay doesn't work with it? unless i'm doing something wrong, it just won't read in any XML file.

If you email/message me the XML file your using or post an issue of github I will have a look into it. I assume your using Firefox since that's the only browser the old-new jui version supports. (annanfay gmail com)

And what is the DGC-spread.html file for? it doesn't seem todo anything just gives me a blank screen.

I got annoyed at only seeing a single profession or single dwarf so created a large table where you can see a large overview. It was checking for the xml file in the wrong place, which should be fixed now. (Screen)

Seems odd that i'd get immigrants with say 10 in weaving and the DGC says they'd make a poor weaver ;p i guess he really just likes weaving!

Yeah, I think skills are assigned randomly independent of attributes. Though someone should do some !SCIENCE! :D

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2012, 04:18:17 am »

Maybe i got the wrong files originally...i clicked the download button on github and it downloaded AnnanFay-dgc-2b601a0 even though i started from the jui tree. So i had to copy pasta the link it would have downloaded, and then replaced master with jui and now i have the correct files using AnnanFay-dgc-cce541a...

I don't use FF, but downloaded the latest FF(10) portable but still issues though, it sees my xml file, but i guess refuses to read it in as i get no dwarves displayed down the left in the browser window. Maybe some config setting i need to change? although i saw nothing obvious. I'll email you a screenshot and my XML anyways and a copy of this post.

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2012, 10:41:13 am »

Maybe i got the wrong files originally...i clicked the download button on github and it downloaded AnnanFay-dgc-2b601a0 even though i started from the jui tree. So i had to copy pasta the link it would have downloaded, and then replaced master with jui and now i have the correct files using AnnanFay-dgc-cce541a...

I don't use FF, but downloaded the latest FF(10) portable but still issues though, it sees my xml file, but i guess refuses to read it in as i get no dwarves displayed down the left in the browser window. Maybe some config setting i need to change? although i saw nothing obvious. I'll email you a screenshot and my XML anyways and a copy of this post.

Thanks for sending me the files :) I had a look at them and figured out the problem. Unfortunately there's not much I can do about it :(

TL;DR : dwarfexport exports aren't compatible with Runesmith exports.

Runesmith only writes out the textual descriptions of traits that are not average, dwarf export writes out all traits with the average ones having no description. This means the exported file is better as it gives more information about traits, however it means it's not compatible with the Runesmith export. dwarfexport also doesn't export the skills and doesn't use UTF-8, though I'm not sure if the encoding would cause a problem.

I could change DGC so that it can use files from Runesmith and dwarfexport. However as it would remove some of the functionality and I am already working on a new version I will leave it as it is.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 10:43:25 am by AnnanFay »

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2012, 02:09:38 pm »

*eagerly awaits new release of DF along with new version of DGC*

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:52 am »

Just to say i tried that Runesmith tool for export and it works like a charm, looks like a v handy tool so i'll give it a shot on my next fort. Thanks to the original author and AnnanFay for their excellent work.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 03, 2012, 04:03:02 am »

Not sure if i found an issue here, but i noticed one of my dwarfs has a much higher Pacifier value that anyone else. So i took a look at her in DGC and it says:

Because of personality problems She cannot be a:

[deek] Liar
    [deek] Leader/manager
    (2 Consoling 6 Pacification)

Her unassertive nature won't allow her to attempt Persuasion.

She cannot be relied on to Pacify others.

She is too straightforward to Lie or Flatter.

I checked an earlier save(only around a few months of gametime earlier) which i had laying around with this being my 1st big fortress and i was experimenting. And it was lower so it's not like she came to my fort with it being high. She was a 5th wave migrant so has been around a few years.
So, is something wrong with DGC calc's, or maybe just because she had a slightly higher pacify value than other dwarfs that they went to see her, which then slowly kept increasing her's above others and so the same cycle repeats?

PS And what does [deek] mean anyways?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:04:36 am by Intrinsic »

AnnanFay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:35 pm »

Not sure if i found an issue here, but i noticed one of my dwarfs has a much higher Pacifier value that anyone else. So i took a look at her in DGC and it says:

Because of personality problems She cannot be a:

[deek] Liar
    [deek] Leader/manager
    (2 Consoling 6 Pacification)

Her unassertive nature won't allow her to attempt Persuasion.

She cannot be relied on to Pacify others.

She is too straightforward to Lie or Flatter.

I checked an earlier save(only around a few months of gametime earlier) which i had laying around with this being my 1st big fortress and i was experimenting. And it was lower so it's not like she came to my fort with it being high. She was a 5th wave migrant so has been around a few years.
So, is something wrong with DGC calc's, or maybe just because she had a slightly higher pacify value than other dwarfs that they went to see her, which then slowly kept increasing her's above others and so the same cycle repeats?

PS And what does [deek] mean anyways?

Deek is the term used to mean the person is unable to gain skill levels for skills that are part of the profession. This happens when traits are too high or low. I'm not sure why "deek" was chosen, it was already being used in the code and I just kept using it.

If you send me the export file that you are using I can have a look?

The wiki says to gain pacifier skills you need 40 or greater cooperation. So either DGC thinks there is less than there really is, or the wiki is wrong. Probably a bug in DGC :P
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:58:25 am by AnnanFay »

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2012, 02:53:46 am »

File sent :)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 06, 2012, 03:47:30 am »

Thank you for this tool. It's been really handy in the past.

I do have one request / suggestion and figure someone likely suggested it before. It would be nice if we could tell it we want x number of dwarves and what jobs we want each dwarf to do and have it tell us which set of dwarves fill the roles least worst.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7