Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What are your favorite Trophies?  (Read 1956 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
What are your favorite Trophies?
« on: April 23, 2011, 05:41:50 pm »

I used to love lining my fortress with goblin totems, but now that we can't disassemble sentient remains, I've had to find another way to humiliate invaders and display the fort's military prowess.

I've been trying to capture and showcase FBs and civilization leaders lately.  Most recently I had the demon-king of the goblins come by, but he was riding a freaking giant bat and ran off after I slaughtered his minions.  I've also started pitting caged goblins from a huge execution tower so I can separate those juicy skulls from their bodies to squeek out what few goblin totems I can.

How do you exhibit the grandeur of your fort and instill fear in the hearts of invaders?
At last, she is done.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
Re: What are your favorite Trophies?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »

Goblin chute to invaders.

We capture gobbins in cages, then construct a drop tower over the outside of the fortress walls.

I gather all the captured and stripped prisoners (except one) in a single room and then release my dwarves on them with training weapons.

The goblins get gang-banged, then I recall my dwarves, and release the single remaining goblin in that room to walk around and witness the carnage.

Then when another siege shows up, I drop that one goblin over the walls on to its friends... naked, humiliated, and busted up from the fall.

Ready to tell the story.

(Dwarf Fortress brings out the most sadistic part of me... but that's what the goblins get for trying to steal our children.)

You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 08:19:06 pm »

Can't disassemble sentient creatures? Bah! The Cannibal Horror Dwarves disassemble whom they please. I mod dwarven ethics (in raw/objects/entity_default.txt) as follows:

[ETHIC:KILL_ENTITY_MEMBER:ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED]
        [ETHIC:KILL_NEUTRAL:ONLY_IF_SANCTIONED]
        [ETHIC:KILL_ENEMY:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:KILL_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:KILL_PLANT:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_INFORMATION:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:TORTURE_FOR_FUN:PERSONAL_MATTER]
        [ETHIC:TORTURE_ANIMALS:MISGUIDED]
        [ETHIC:TREASON:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
        [ETHIC:OATH_BREAKING:PUNISH_CAPITAL]
        [ETHIC:LYING:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
        [ETHIC:VANDALISM:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
        [ETHIC:TRESPASSING:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
        [ETHIC:THEFT:PUNISH_SERIOUS]
        [ETHIC:ASSAULT:PUNISH_REPRIMAND]
        [ETHIC:SLAVERY:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:PERSONAL_MATTER]
        [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
        [ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
        [WILL_ACCEPT_TRIBUTE]
        [ABUSE_BODIES]
        [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS]
        [USE_EVIL_WOOD]

Besides being able to decorate your entrance hallway with goblin skulls, and being once more able to make practice bolts from goblin ribs, eating invaders makes farming nearly redundant. I also mod the Elves to be super goody-two-shoes to increase the chance that I'll start the game at war with them. Mmm, elf roast!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 04:35:32 am »

I've been thinking of making upright wooden spikes around my roads, the dropping goblins onto them. Would probably look nice.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 09:42:37 am »

Twice now I've captured the goblin "Master" - the leader of the nearby civilization.  The first time I stripped her and put her in a glass-walled danger room in the middle of the meeting area.  I figured it was fitting both for her (in legends mode she had a most impressive history) and my nobles, in the "I can deconstruct this wall if you make unreasonable demands" sort of way.

Right now I have the goblin master in a simple cage in my meeting area, although I didn't strip him first.  I put a toad, a rat and a cardinal in the cage with him, for a Bird-goblin of Diamondrelic vibe.  My dorfs throw parties around his cage all the time.

Other than that, I have about 500 bodies/skulls of killed enemies in a refuse stockpile at the entrance to my fort so that I can raise the bridge and force anything incoming (migrants, merchants, invaders) to go through the stockpile before they get into the fortress.  (If they can get past the traps first, and then it opens directly into the barracks...) I periodically go through it and make sure there are no bits in there other than skeletons and the occasional heads/skulls, marking anything else for dumping into magma.  I'm going to have to expand the area because it's just about full.

edit: For some reason the kids like to play in the boneyard... morbid little bastards...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 10:16:57 am by ledgekindred »
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 11:09:10 am »

For some reason the kids like to play in the boneyard... morbid little bastards...

Urist McChild1: "Look at me! I'm the goblin! Ooga-booga!" *Holds goblin skull*
Urist McChild2: "Oh yeah? Well I'm the TROLL!" *Holds troll skull*
Urist McChild3: "Well I'm Urist McThrower!" *Throws bone*

The spinning goblin bone strikes Urist McChild1 in the head shattering the skull and tearing the brain!
An artery has been torn and many nerves have been severed.

Urist McChild1 has been knocked unconcious.
Urist McChild1 has been struck down.

There is probably a reason dwarven children don't play with anything.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 11:10:54 am by Oliolli »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o