Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: He died a hero  (Read 11641 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
He died a hero
« on: April 23, 2011, 03:04:21 pm »

Diamondrelic is going on 11 years old now and fairly successful.  We've captured the leader of the nearby goblin civilization and breached the caverns and only lost a couple dozen dwarves over those 11 years.

One of my marksdwarves, Atir Stigildegel, somehow lost the ability to stand back in the first couple of years by having his legs chopped off, but I figured, hey, it's not like a marksdwarf has to stand, right? 

So the poor sucker has been dragging himself from training to his off-duty job as a weaver over the last 9 years or so, and in the meantime has managed to crawl his way (heh) to a Legendary Weaver and a Master Marksdwarf.  Not bad for a dwarf with no legs.  Of course due to his inability to stand, and therefore walk, he's kinda ... slow.  As in, he moves quite slowly.  Whenever I put my squads on duty it's usually not until after they've finished up whatever work I wanted them to do before he arrives.  Still, I mean, he's making his contribution and taking it all on the chin, or rather, the stumps of his legs.

At least until just now. 

The Forgotten Beast Teling Idashkor has come!  A giant humanoid composed of conglomerate.  It has large mandibles and it squirms and fidgets.  Beware its webs!

Well, ok, that's fine I'll get my military in position and ... Atir?  Oh crap, you've been downstairs collecting webs.  Well, try to hurry up and reach our panic hall where the rest of your pals are stationed, ok?  Atir, you gonna make it?

Nope.  Aww, crap.  Well, poor guy, at least he had a long and ... wat ... you're ... you're not immediately dead?

In fact, you're fighting the forgotten beast?

Holy crap you're beating the snot out of it!

For seven pages he beat up the forgotten beast, chipping its conglomerate in the leg and lower body, ripping a mandible out and in general being a legless badass.  Rolling away and dodging and blocking the forgotten beast's strikes, he was a mother----ing beast of a crippled dwarf from hell.  Not only did he give better than he got, he gave the rest of the military time to get into position before the forgotten beast could get all the way upstairs and panic the entire fortress.

In the end, however, the forgotten beast got a lucky shot in.  It bit Atir's head off.  However the rest of my military made quick work of it, pincushioning it with bolts and chopping its legs and an arm off before slicing it in two.

Atir, the population of Diamindrelic salutes your bravery and tenacity.  We shall build you a tomb fit for the hero you are.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

randyshipp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: He died a hero
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 03:11:34 pm »

We'd pour out a pint of ale for the stumpy little bugger, but that'd be wasting good ale.  How about we get pissed and sing a song about him instead?  To Atir, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic!
Randy...

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 05:35:37 pm »

on three...

one... two... three!

Oh Atir! Atir Stigildegel! 
He's the hero of Diamondrelic!
Atir! Ho! Atir! we say!
Every time we say "Atir," we drink!

Atir! Atir! Atir! Atir!
Wha a heroo you were Atirr!
With them stumnpy lill legs
unm yer onna loom alla time

Atir! Atrir!  We driunk inner name Atrir!
Winnum ooml drupple hoi!
arrtrir!  Drinum gurble!
Gerrum onna hurble grumb!

repeat chorus 

- all pass out drunk -

Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Trickysticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 06:33:33 pm »

*sniffle* You should have never sent him out thereeeeee!
 :'(

Noir

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 07:33:38 pm »

Build him a kickass mausoleum at the center of a lava pit, with a statue of him on top of his burial place and a bridge made of magma-safe engraved metal. Then have a square marked as food stockpile, to simulate the offerings of his worshippers.

Finally, build a few craft from the body of the forgotten beast and have it to lay there.
Naked dwarves remove the need to produce more clothing, which means more of your pig tails can be brewed into booze.
I think this is less a problem and more an expression of dwarven priorities.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 08:12:44 pm »

Yes, this is the only game in which I've ever taken pride in the heroic efforts of my units.  I realized this when a cavein dropped my best miner down multiple z-levels to a cavern floor.  I designated a wall to be mined out to a nearby staircase, expecting another miner to come to his rescue.  He came to, and despite his shattered legs, he lurched forward, mined out a section of the wall, then lost consciousness again.  He awoke once more, and mined out the rest of the path to the stairs, and hobbled his way to the hospital.  The bold, beautiful bastard.

Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:39 pm »

I have this giant mausoleum where I bury the most awesome dwarves. One of them managed to kill 11 clowns before bleeding to death. I already have a space for my legendary miner, who broke just about everything except the spine in 2 caveins. He spent a couple years in the hospital (pre-fix), and is now walking around with a shattered left leg, as if nothing were wrong.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 04:32:41 am »

Is it wrong if my way of showing a dorf I appreciate them is even giving them a personalised tomb in the first place? All the others have to rest in 1x1 tombs in a sort-of "burial-spot district".

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 10:07:35 am »

Is it wrong if my way of showing a dorf I appreciate them is even giving them a personalised tomb in the first place? All the others have to rest in 1x1 tombs in a sort-of "burial-spot district".

Nope.  In fact putting them in coffins rather than dumping the corpses in magma and then bothering to carve a slab if they happen to come back as ghosts is still showing some kind of respect.

Mine all live (err, you know what I mean) in a packed room full of coffins, unless they do something exceptional, then I'll build 'em a tomb. 

So far I have one tomb...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:03:54 am »

I think I have 5, for 6 dwarves. Two share a single tomb, since tehy are married.

1. My counts tomb.
2 & 3. The two miners, both from the original 7, one very succesful at mining, creator of an artifact, one ended the first fight my fort had. (Berserk dwarf)
4. A military dorf, used to be my mayor for about 7 years, now an adamantine-clad killing machine.
5. A hunter, killed the first enemy I ever saw.
6. A militia captain, adamantine-clad killing machine.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o