Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Complete geneology of a Dwarven Monarchy over 249 years  (Read 6395 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Complete geneology of a Dwarven Monarchy over 249 years
« on: May 06, 2011, 06:23:01 pm »

Anyone with obsessive dwarf disorder has at least one time thought about using Legends Mode to detail a dwarven family. I decided to try it with a small sample such as starting with the original Monarch and Consort of a dwarven civilization and see how far it goes. 249 years and 259 direct decendants later, not including unrelated spouses, here we are.

I genned a world for 249 years, because I like starting fortresses on an even number. One civilization in particular had only 3 Monarchs over its history, each a direct decendant of the previous and none of them dying young, so it seemed ideal.

Using Legends Mode I started with the starting Monarch, King Dobar Raywheels and extended the family tree. In 249 years I recorded 259 direct decendants over 11 additional generations of dwarves. As one might expect, many of the dwarves married within their family. Most of them were a good distant apart, some not so much. One dwarf married his aunt, one married his niece, and one ever so wonderful dwarf married his great great grand aunt. Happy honeymoon...

Here's some juicy numbers for you:

Not including unrelated spouses, King Dobar Raywheels has 259 descendants, 177 are still living (68%)

He had:
2 Children, 0 still living (0%)
9 Grandchildren, 2 still living (22%)
20 Great Grandchildren, 2 still living (10%)
33 2xGreat Grandchildren, 12 still living (36%)
50 3xGreat Grandchildren, 34 still living (68%)
56 4xGreat Grandchildren, 46 still living (82%)
41 5xGreat Grandchildren, 34 still living (83%)
19 6xGreat Grandchildren, 18 still living (95%)
16 7xGreat Grandchildren, 16 still living (100%)
12 8xGreat Grandchildren, 12 still living (100%)
1 9xGreat Grandchild, still living (100%)

There were 149 total marriages, 53 were between relatives (36%)

Dastot Guildglade, born in 246 is the first and only 12th generation dwarf. King Dobar Raywheels is her great great great great great great great great great grandfather.

Spoilered is the complete geneology of the dwarven royal family.

Legend:
-Dwarves in italics are past and current Monarchs and Generals choosen by DF.
-Underlined dwarves are past and current Monarchs aswell as dwarves who WOULD have been Monarchs if DF followed the Eldest Male Priority(EMP) rule many real life Monarchys follow. I also underlined dwarves who are 1st to 7th in line to the throne under that rule.
-Dwarves in bold are still living.
-Dwarves who marry within their family are either pointed to their spouse or explained in detail how they are related. As a general rule dwarves of lesser importance (Eldest Male Priority) are pointed to their spouse.
-Tabs seperate each generation. Stratigically placed vertical lines help to make it more readable.

Funny tidbit: If DF followed the Eldest Male Priority rule, the current Monarch choosen by DF, Queen Datan Throwerflags (she's at the bottom) would be the very last in line to the throne of all living dwarves. Lucky her!

(I had to do some buggering around to make sure the text doesnt wrap while still maintaining format. Hopefully it doesnt look messed up for some people)

DarkAnt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Complete geneology of a Dwarven Monarchy over 249 years
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 06:32:39 pm »

That's pretty cool :)
Why do my dwarves hate me?

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 06:52:37 pm »

Do we have to invent the dwarven internet before we award one to him?

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:22:58 pm »

This is several levels of awesome. Thanks for sharing, I imagine it was a bit of work to sort through it all and arrange in a coherent fashion!
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 08:24:41 pm »

Forgot to mention, I had to give dwarves [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK] to do this, otherwise most die of starvation during worldgen.

edit: Organizing it wasn't so much a problem as the sheer size of the family. They're like fucking rabbits.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 08:26:50 pm by BloodBeard »

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 03:02:01 am »

Well you would be pumping kids out too if they had a 50/50 shot of turning into forgotten beast kibble/being brutally murdered in a tantrum spiral/dying of some horrible disease from aforementioned forgotten beast.

Sadly, they don't get represented outside of fort mode yet. But give it time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 06:02:36 pm »

Now if only legends mode could do this automatically.

Excellent work btw. Extremely awesome.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 07:29:57 pm »

You may have realized this, but from my experience, Dwarf Fortress seems to always picks the youngest child of the previous monarch when selecting an heir.  I'm pretty sure this is to ensure that the new monarch has the longest life ahead of them.

I might have to try this myself sometime.  The one time I came close I was actually going backwards, starting from the last king.  I found out there was a break in the lineage, but the current king was like a direct descendant of the first general, who's line had been generals up until the last queen of the original line was killed by the dragon that the next king killed.  Also she was like 12 and hadn't had any kids yet. 

The royal lines and family trees are pretty interesting to me.  I have a little trouble reading yours(though I've only looked at it a bit) but it's cool that you did something like that.  Can you tell how inbred the final queen was?  Or was she from a family line that somehow avoided that?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 08:23:45 pm »

The current (real) Queen shown in the family tree had 2 living older brothers and one younger when their father died and she became Queen, so age and/or order of birth doesnt seem to play a part.

The current Queen is only a 3rd generation so there hasn't been any inbreeding with her. She's nearing the end of her life and has no children so I generated another world and let it run a little longer. When she died a completely unrelated dwarf became king  :(.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:57:59 pm »

Are there ever coups?

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 11:13:05 pm »

What do you take them for? Dirty backstabbing goblins? :P